Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-12-2015, 01:38 AM   #1
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
Book Library Sort Order?

I was possibly mistaken, but I thought my PRS-T1 was sorting a series of books by its actual order in the series.
Tonight I noticed it was alphabetically by title, which makes more sense.

I looked and there didn't seem to be a way to get it sorted properly; until I tried sorting by author.

Suddenly the series was in order.

So the question is, what exactly IS the PRS-T1 using as its secondary sort criteria? Is it really using series number? It isn't by date since the published date isn't in the metadata in this case.

Anyone know specifically what is going on?

Last edited by DoctorM; 06-12-2015 at 01:42 AM.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:05 PM   #2
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Sorting by author uses authors first name but should use last name in usa then first name.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:15 PM   #3
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
How should it order by title and series? I can't imagine how that should work in any usable way. Maybe if you have a series of books all beginning with the same word?
Sorting by author seems to do what you want and there series as a second criteria makes sense.
I only had a prs 350, but there you also had categories, where series and tags were listed.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:14 AM   #4
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
In this case it is the Harry Potter novels. While the books all start with 'Harry Potter and the...', they are by no means alphabetical titles.

Apparently it does seem to be that 'Sort By Author' uses: Last Name, First Name, (I dunno about middle name/initial, but one would assume), (I'd also assume by book series name) and then by number in series.

Pretty cool. I checked an old Kindle 1 and it seems to do the same thing when sorting by author.

@dickloraine - The PRS-T1 also has 'Collections' which seems to work the sames as the 350's categories.

Edit: Tested Robert B. Parker's Spenser series and found the same thing. Sorting by Author groups the books together and in order of the series.

Testing more with the Kindle 1, apparently that sorts by Author and then file name. (e.g. 01 - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, etc.) The Sony just needs you to have set the series order in Calibre.

Last edited by DoctorM; 07-07-2015 at 06:12 PM.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote