Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-31-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
KayLee
Zealot
KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST & iPad Air2
Adding two copies of Calibre

How do I install two separate versions of Calibre on one computer? I don't want to put my comicbook collection in with my regular books anybody know how to rename one of the copies of Calibre so it doesn't mess with the other? Going to ask KovidGoyal when he returns if maybe he could smash together a simplified version of Calibre for comicbooks and manga.
KayLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:57 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Why not just create an additional library within the existing copy of calibre?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:00 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You do not need 2 copies of Calibre - just click the Library option on the main Calibre toolbar and select the option to create a new library. You can subsequently use the option to switch between libraries to use one library or the other.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@KayLee - You could put your comics & manga into a separate physical library. On windows you could install a copy of Portable and keep comics and manga in its library; then you would have independent configurations.

On Linux it should be possible to have multiple installs and make use of the CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY, see Customizing calibre — Environment Variables

Not sure about OS/X

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-31-2014 at 10:16 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:27 AM   #5
KayLee
Zealot
KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@KayLee - You could put your comics & manga into a separate physical library. On windows you could install a copy of Portable and keep comics and manga in its library; then you would have independent configurations.

On Linux it should be possible to have multiple installs and make use of the CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY, see Customizing calibre — Environment Variables

Not sure about OS/X

BR

Didn't think of that

itimpi & PeterT Yeah I do know about the virtual library options but they'ed still be in my main library where I'd have to scroll past 60 volumes on every long running comic to get to the books I'm looking to read or load onto my Nook!
Old 05-31-2014, 10:30 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I meant a REAL library; not a VIRTUAL one. Click on the library icon in calibre and select "Switch/Create library"
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:32 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayLee View Post
Didn't think of that

itimpi & PeterT Yeah I do know about the virtual library options but they'ed still be in my main library where I'd have to scroll past 60 volumes on every long running comic to get to the books I'm looking to read or load onto my Nook!
Not a VL
A separate Library (a library is just a master folder with calibre.db and its matching folder structure)

The common difference is only 1 can be active at a time. I takes about 15 seconds to switch from one to another on old P4 hardware
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:41 AM   #8
KayLee
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I meant a REAL library; not a VIRTUAL one. Click on the library icon in calibre and select "Switch/Create library"

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Not a VL
A separate Library (a library is just a master folder with calibre.db and its matching folder structure)

The common difference is only 1 can be active at a time. I takes about 15 seconds to switch from one to another on old P4 hardware

Oh didn't know about this feature looking into it
Old 05-31-2014, 11:11 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Oh didn't know about this feature looking into it
FWIW this feature existed for Years before the VL appeared

A fairly more recently added feature: copy to Library was added that allows for actions between the currently ACTIVE (the one you see) and another registered (now appears in the quick switch list) Library.
Do note that some metadata will not transfer under certain conditions: The target field does not exist, Preferences and Tweaks
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:51 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Kaylee - a 'downside' of using virtual libraries or physical library switching is that some configuration settings are 'global' and they apply to all 'books'. For example for manga I prefer to sort authors name as is - eg Hwang Mi Ri or Han Yu Rang, but for my books I prefer LN/FN. I found trying to remember to adjust tweaks and settings when I did a library switch tiresome, forgettable, and error prone.

A 'downside' of running separate calibre installs, is that you can only run one instance of calibre at a time. So when you're looking at comics and you want to look at a book, then you have to close calibre (for comics) and start calibre (for books). And you have to do double installs

There's no ideal solution. A possible solution would be the ability to switch between configuration folders when switching physical libraries. Another solution would be to use a different manager for comics.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-31-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:41 PM   #11
KayLee
Zealot

Quote:
There's no ideal solution. A possible solution would be the ability to switch between configuration folders when switching physical libraries. Another solution would be to use a different manager for comics.

BR

Yeah, I have CDisplayEX as my viewer it's good I just thought it was a manager as well. It's not and without that feature my manga end up in a folder sorted by their titles.

Warning!!!!! not sure which one I got it from but I Downloaded CDisplayEX and MangaMeeya on the same day and got conduit the browser hijacker from hell took an hour to get rid of it
Old 05-31-2014, 07:16 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Yeah, I have CDisplayEX as my viewer it's good I just thought it was a manager as well. It's not and without that feature my manga end up in a folder sorted by their titles.
@KayLee - Do you have any opinions on Comicbook Rack - I've played with it a little, its looks quite nice for comics.

But it also looks like a big job for me to change to it from calibre. And change doesn't happen round here, until the cost of doing the same exceeds the cost of doing the change.

Sorry to hear you were infected by a conduit toolbar, I thought they'd all but disappeared, maybe they're making a comeback

BR
Old 05-31-2014, 09:13 PM   #13
KayLee
Zealot

Quote:
@KayLee - Do you have any opinions on Comicbook Rack?

BR

I played with Comic Rack years ago maybe they've updated it not sure but I had windows XP and it would blue screen after a couple minutes of running I didn't like the setup but I never really got into because of the almighty blue screen of death https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrCTz7mEmsI
Old 06-01-2014, 01:22 AM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
@Kaylee - a 'downside' of using virtual libraries or physical library switching is that some configuration settings are 'global' and they apply to all 'books'. For example for manga I prefer to sort authors name as is - eg Hwang Mi Ri or Han Yu Rang, but for my books I prefer LN/FN. I found trying to remember to adjust tweaks and settings when I did a library switch tiresome, forgettable, and error prone.

A 'downside' of running separate calibre installs, is that you can only run one instance of calibre at a time. So when you're looking at comics and you want to look at a book, then you have to close calibre (for comics) and start calibre (for books). And you have to do double installs

BR
Running separate installs will not actually let you use different config folders. It is the environment variables which do that... and is baked into the portable exe.

All you need to do is use a batch file to set the config directory and then run calibre.exe

You mentioned separage installs+config-dir variable as a linux solution -- why won't this work on Windows too? Also, again, there is no need to have multiple copies of the program binaries, unless you want to run multiple versions of the program. The second copy will also default to using the default config-dir.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:17 AM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Running separate installs will not actually let you use different config folders. It is the environment variables which do that... and is baked into the portable exe.

All you need to do is use a batch file to set the config directory and then run calibre.exe

You mentioned separage installs+config-dir variable as a linux solution -- why won't this work on Windows too? Also, again, there is no need to have multiple copies of the program binaries, unless you want to run multiple versions of the program. The second copy will also default to using the default config-dir.
But whatever one does, it confuses non tech users, I know this from my community support activities. You have to copy data you don't understand, write batch files, put them somewhere etc etc. Easy if your moderately tech savvy, but an eye watering black art for many

The firefox 'front end' that provides a means to create and select different profiles (configurations) may be an alternative approach.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	123560