Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-13-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
Kindle Diagnostic Tool

I'm glad to present to you my Kindle Diagnostic Tool (for Windows).

Features:
1. Show Kindle SN. if you have Kindle with broken display, you still can get SN by this program. Just connect Kindle via USB.
2. Show Kindle Recovery Password. This password for "Export MMC0" menu in Recovery mode via Serial line.
3. Show Kindle model. I.e. Kindle Wi-Fi, 3G, KDX....
4. Safely eject in Widows 7.

Download it from: http://www.siralex.info/wp-content/p...nload.php?id=9
Topic about it on my site: http://www.siralex.info/2011/06/13/k...agnostic-tool/
Source code: https://github.com/SirAlex/Kindle-Diagnostic-Tool

Last edited by Sir Alex; 06-14-2011 at 03:12 AM.
Sir Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Sir Alex, this appears very interesting. I do not yet know enough about the Kindle but could see some utility for this.

One thing though: your site is in Russian. Do you have/plan an English version?

thanks!
-les
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:21 AM   #3
proDOOMman
Enthusiast
proDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
Linux version: https://github.com/proDOOMman/kdt4lin
(May be works on MacOS X with python and libusb-0.1 installed)
proDOOMman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Just wondering out loud here, but does the kindle allow you ibtype in the mmc0 password on the kidle keypad, or do you have to connect to th recovery port, I know that with my patched kernel, you can press "3" to export mmc0, even though nothing was printed on the screen. Can you type in the password even though nothing appears on screen?

Someone can test my theory by restarting into recovery menu by holding Enter. Then in there, press 3 (or Alt+E on DX). Nothing should change on screen. Then type in your recovery password "fiona#####" and press enter and see if you see mmc0.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
@yifanlu, Tried it... not work ( (Alt-E displays "Password:" prompt, but if you begin to enter any chars... Kindle hangs)
Sir Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Is there anything in particular that you are having trouble with? I could help with translating bits if it's not too much. Otherwise, I'd rather Sir Alex focus on hacking and coding (the big thing that he's achieved is getting an alternative onscreen keyboard, this could be adopted to input characters that are not natively supported by the Kindle!). Google translation helps me to get the gist for the languages that I do not speak.

===

BTW, these guys on the well-known Russian forum have done some impressive stuff (localization, alternative keyboards, alternative software for the Kindle, viewers for additional formats, a conversion tool for automatically creating user dictionaries from source files with wordform support for several languages).

Last edited by osnova; 06-14-2011 at 05:03 PM.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:48 AM   #7
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
after a really hard work I created an English version for you
Enjoy: http://j.mp/m0SVjF

And this is the well-known Russian forum: http://j.mp/iwrjym

Last edited by thomass; 06-16-2011 at 07:22 AM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:05 AM   #8
naypalm
Enthusiast
naypalm began at the beginning.

Device: K3G v3.1 jb
This is really cool, thanks!
naypalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:12 AM   #9
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
after a really hard work I created an English version for you
Enjoy: http://j.mp/m0SVjF

And this is the well-known Russian forum: http://j.mp/iwrjym
You, sir, are the b e s t!

Look forward to giving this a shot

spaseba
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
@yifanlu, check recovery-utils from initramfs with IDA Pro. I've found there some lines concerning keyboard disabling after loading mmc0 export (or pressing 3 on Kindle).
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #11
uhstud2215
uhstud2215 can extract oil from cheeseuhstud2215 can extract oil from cheeseuhstud2215 can extract oil from cheeseuhstud2215 can extract oil from cheeseuhstud2215 can extract oil from cheeseuhstud2215 can extract oil from cheeseuhstud2215 can extract oil from cheeseuhstud2215 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Smile Great tool Kindle Diagnostic

Hi Sir Alex,

Very useful tool that you have created for the kindle. I have another issue now with my device. Is it possible to de-register a device which is not registered to your account, and the screen is broken?

Thanks
uhstud2215 is offline   Reply With Quote