Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
Tessie6
Connoisseur
Tessie6 doesn't litterTessie6 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS505
Advantages of 950/650 over the other

I'm trying to decide between the 950 and the 650. If I never (or very, very seldom) use the WiFi, is there an advantage in buying the PRS 950 or PRS 650 - aside from bigger screen?

Second question: I currently have a 505 (love it) and all of my books are formatted in pdf for the 6" screen. What happens when I open the book in a 7" screen (ORS 950)?

Do I get a white border, or does it reflow and readjust page endings, etc.

Edith
Tessie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
Tessie6
Connoisseur
Tessie6 doesn't litterTessie6 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS505
Found answer to first question:

Probably won't both with the 950. But thanks anyway.
Tessie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I have both the 950 and the 505. I never saw an advantage to the wifi until I bought the 950 and was reading Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games. I found I liked the book and wanted to read the next book in the trilogy. It was easy to get it by turning on the wifi and going to the Sony store, buying it, and downloading it. Within 5 minutes of finishing the first book, I had purchased and was reading the second book.

I don't use the wifi often, but I have to admit that now that I have it, I think it makes life great. Also, the wifi lets the 950 connect to Wikipedia. Only used it once, but I can see the advantage to it.

I don't know the definitive answer to the PDF question, but I wouldn't think it would make any difference other than to give you more white space at the top or bottom.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
I think the ratio of width to height in the 950 is different from the 650 so as said above, the difference if you are using PDF's is that you might see more blank space on the top and bottom of the page.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
650 for the win... i don't think you'll get heaps of use from the wireless feature

The real question is do you get a 650 AND a 350... wish i could!
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:00 AM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I didn't enjoy my PRS-900's larger aspect ratio over the 505 as much as I thought I would, when size and weight are also considered. And since I don't need the 3G capability I'm going 'back' to a 650 myself.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:10 AM   #7
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie
ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7" & 8.9"/Sony PRS 950/Entourage eDGe/Acer A500
Access to google or wikipedia while reading comes in handy to look up details about something mentioned in a book that I'm curious about. When I had just my 600 I thought the same thing about not needing wifi; mostly to justify to myself why I shouldn't spend the extra $80 bucks. But now that I have it I don't regret it - as I grow older I came to realize that sometimes it's better to have something you don't need that much than to not have it and wish you had.

The extra screen space does make a difference as well; the page breaks are more "normal" compared to the 600.
ZombieEatsYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:00 AM   #8
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I didn't enjoy my PRS-900's larger aspect ratio over the 505 as much as I thought I would, when size and weight are also considered. And since I don't need the 3G capability I'm going 'back' to a 650 myself.
The 950 weighs less than the 505 and it is obvious.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:46 AM   #9
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
rhadin, I see the 950 specified at 9.6 oz, 505 at 9 oz. How is that heavier? Add larger optional cases/covers and the 950 will pull even further ahead. Maybe you just like how it feels in hand? Regardless, I was referring to my PRS-900 which weighs 12.75 oz.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Penforhire, I wasn't aware of the announced weights. I was giving my impression from holding both of the devices (and both with covers). Maybe it is an illusion, but the 950 feels lighter than the 505.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:42 PM   #11
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-950 (broken screen) kobo aura hd
people have said that it feels lighter because it is better balanced..
eriksnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote