Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 12:20 AM   #136
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The author name should fit the space better. At the moment it looks odd - too close to the sides and too far from the top and bottom.

The small text of the title is odd. It looks like the title is "Rise" with an odd subtitle. At the least I'd put each of the last three words on its own line.
Thanks. Good suggestions but I'm bailing on the cover.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:21 AM   #137
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
OK, I guess I'm in the minority:

For me, it looks like those awful READS that involve paranormal romance.* I stay away from reading that type of genre like I avoid rectal suppositories!

On my screen, the small words to the right are not clear at all; in fact, I can't even read them. This may be my computer screen, however, since I'm using a "late" 2010 MacBook Pro.

* = Not that there's anything wrong with paranormal romance. If anyone here likes and/or writes that type of genre, then I'm very happy for you. Very happy, indeed.
Well, my book's awful. What's the problem?
Advert
Old 01-16-2018, 12:22 AM   #138
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
PS to my above post --- the Kill Bill movies are especially relevant == the *murderous heroine*. Since your protagonist is a knife-wielder, mightn't that knife appear on the cover as her weapon of choice (rather than a gun)?
Old 01-16-2018, 12:23 AM   #139
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I too cannot read the small words. Also, I don't like the author name. It the way the author name is formatted.

Make the cover larger so there is less space at the end. Put the author name in with the same font and same color as the title. That's how it was done for Fire and Fury.
Ha ha. You're comparing my book to Fire and Fury? (I hope it sells one millionth as well as it does.)

I'm bailing on it anyway.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:24 AM   #140
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I love that cover. It fits so much better.
Thanks. I like it too but it doesn't work.
Advert
Old 01-16-2018, 12:24 AM   #141
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Yes, reflects the contents much better. Now if you want to hint at the wacky humour, why don't you project the silhouette of a doggie against the moon, Batman-style?
Great suggestion, double, but I'm bailing on the cover.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:26 AM   #142
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
This looks like a werewolf paranormal.
I agree. I'll hang on to it and write a werewolf paranormal next. (I've already got an idea. A werewolf stalks the people who visit the Writers Forum at MR...)
Old 01-16-2018, 12:27 AM   #143
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Unlike the others, I didn't get "paranormal" from the new design, but "Noir" as in Film Noir. You've certainly conveyed the violence with her headless outline holding a gun. Maybe the moon, though not full, is what makes it look like a paranormal.

I agree with the others about the small font: it's unreadable, the title does now seem to be Rise, which might be an interesting change, but you're losing the reference to animal activism.

I don't read YA, so that didn't hit me till others mentioned it.
Thanks but all the problems you cite are accurate. Bailing.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:29 AM   #144
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I do have another comment--not mine, Amazon's--and as stupid a policy as I think it is, you could very well run into issues, if you try to use AMS with that cover, because they will NOT allow visible guns on the images used in AMS. I think it's dumber than dumb, but: their sandbox, their rules.

Hitch
I thought that was only if the gun was pointed at the reader.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:31 AM   #145
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
There are too many 'G's in 'Gregg'.

I'm thinking of writing the goofy thrillers under that name and having a separate Amazon page for them.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:31 AM   #146
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
I agree. I'll hang on to it and write a werewolf paranormal next. (I've already got an idea. A werewolf stalks the people who visit the Writers Forum at MR...)

I thought you disdained stories of the supernatural/fantasy/occult, Gregg?

Hitch
Old 01-16-2018, 12:32 AM   #147
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
Am I off the mark in thinking that the tone of this book might be similar to (old movies) Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill or the *wonderful!!!* Grindhouse or many of Tarantino's ouvre? (sorry, I have only been skimming the thread). Possibly a look at some of those movie posters might give inspiration...
Yes, you're on the right track with the way you're thinking about it, Granny. But mine may be a bit lighter than Tarantino. I'll check those posters. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:46 AM   #148
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Okay, here are the two guys I feel I'm closest too in writing content (esp. Dorsey).

https://www.google.com/search?safe=a....0.Ypwc5_6ESqs

https://www.google.com/search?safe=a....0.z_H5F-bW-18
Old 01-16-2018, 02:22 PM   #149
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I thought you disdained stories of the supernatural/fantasy/occult, Gregg?

Hitch
Why did you think that? Anyway, I was joking.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:24 PM   #150
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
There are too many 'G's in 'Gregg'.

Closed Thread