Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 07:33 AM   #1
Newuserkobo
Newuserkobo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Frozen kobo?

Hello, I've had my kobo for 3 days now and was pretty happy with it until I went to turn it off tonight. The little loading thing came up in the top right corner but now it won't do anything or accept any input, plugging it into the computer makes the charging light turn red but it doesn't appear as a usb device in my computer. What should I try now?

Edit: Just tried paperclip reset and the MENU + CENTER PAD + POWER BUTTON with no change at all.

Last edited by Newuserkobo; 09-07-2010 at 07:44 AM. Reason: More info
Newuserkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I am sure there are those here who would disagree with me, but when a new machine has big time power issues, I would recommend replacing the unit.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I wonder.... When I first got my Kobo i had similar issues. I actually returned the first one as I thought it had died. Just try leaving it and charging for several hours and see if that helps.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newuserkobo View Post
Hello, I've had my kobo for 3 days now and was pretty happy with it until I went to turn it off tonight. The little loading thing came up in the top right corner but now it won't do anything or accept any input, plugging it into the computer makes the charging light turn red but it doesn't appear as a usb device in my computer. What should I try now?

Edit: Just tried paperclip reset and the MENU + CENTER PAD + POWER BUTTON with no change at all.
Every once in a while mine freezes while powering down (usually if the book I am reading is on the SD card but I think that is another issue) but I've always found the paperclip reset restarts the machine.

The only time that it didn't work was when the battery was completely drained. That time plugging it into the USB changed the screen to the charging notice and then it worked fine.

If neither of those things are working I'd suggest taking it back to wherever you bought it.
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote