Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-16-2010, 02:54 AM   #1
Tilly
Tilly began at the beginning.

Device: sony
Kobo and Adobe Digital Additions Problems

Hi there.

I am sure this is going to seem like a silly question to all of you but I am having huge issues trying to get an ebook from ADE to my kobo.

I bought a book from a website and it said I had to open it with ADE, which I have done, I can see the book in ADE but I cant for the life of me work out how to get it on my kobo. I cant even get ADE to recognize the reader.

I have set up the ADE account authorized my computer but I have spent 3 days googling and fiddling around and I cant gt this book on my reader without telling me I need to do it via kobo and ADE

Any help would be much appreciated as I am currently bookless :-(
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Tilly,

Open ADE first, then connect your Kobo to your computer via USB.

Can you see the Bookshelves in the left pain? If not, use the dropdown menu beside "Library" and click "Show Bookshelves".

Can you see your Kobo on our ADE display, under "bookshelves"? If so all you need to do is click on the "Go to Library View" - top left icon - then drag it from the right hand library pane to your Kobo on the left.

If your book is PDF formatted, when you open your Kobo you will see it under "Documents" and not "Books.

If your Kobo is not showing up under "Bookshelves" then I don't know - maybe a call to Kobo support will help.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
LeahWarner
LeahWarner began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I am having the same problem as Tilly - I just finished reading two library books on my Kobo with no problems. I returned them yesterday and downloaded two more books. They are showing up in ADE - I can see them in both the bookshelf "Borrowed" and on my Kobo directory where I copied them too. Now I go to read them and all that is showing up on my Kobo are the 100 pre-loaded books - nothing is showing up under my books or I'm Reading at all. I have done the factory reset a million times, tried deleting and downloading again and nothing...but still they show up on the Kobo directory but the Kobo is not letting me see them. I don't know why it would be a Kobo defect when I just used it with no problems previous to this...any suggestions? Thanks!
LeahWarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahWarner View Post
but still they show up on the Kobo directory but the Kobo is not letting me see them.
Are they PDF format? Then they will show up under "Documents" and not "Books"
Old 08-16-2010, 05:08 PM   #5
LeahWarner

No, they aren't in pdf - I had already double-checked that - they are epubs.
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
Tilly
Tilly began at the beginning.

Device: sony
Hi there, thank you for trying to help :0)

I had tried all of that and much more but... oh dear... what a goose... This morning it worked! The only thing different was that my kobo was turned ON when I plugged it in, normally I have it off, I had no idea it had to be turned on to work! What a goose indeed!

Any other time I have put books on it I have never had it turned on.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
Hi there, thank you for trying to help :0)

I had tried all of that and much more but... oh dear... what a goose... This morning it worked! The only thing different was that my kobo was turned ON when I plugged it in, normally I have it off, I had no idea it had to be turned on to work! What a goose indeed!

Any other time I have put books on it I have never had it turned on.
I was JUST about to suggest that Tilly. The kobo takes a while to start and ADE seems to get impatient. I've had much better luck with both ADE and the desktop app when I plug the kobo in when it's already on.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #8
LeahWarner

OK - tried being sure that the Kobo was turned on first, but still made no difference. No books other than the 100 free ones are showing up.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:32 PM   #9
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
OK, Leah - My turn for a stupid question. Did you (or somebody) set yor Kobo to display only the pre-loaded books? (Nasty trick, I know) From the 'Books, by Title (or Author)' page, press the Menu button, then select the 'Display' item. The bottom 'Books' choices are 'All books', 'My Books', and 'Pre-loaded Books'. I usually use 'My Books'.... then you only see your books and any of the pre-loaded books you have started to read.

Hope this helps...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #10
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

I would check the display option. Also, ADE stands for Adobe Digital "Editions". :-)
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #11
LeahWarner

Yep, I know that ADE stands for Editions...yesterday was Monday and I am blaming that! It was that kind of day!

And no, it isn't the display setting - it won't even allow me to pick my books - it shows up in light grey as if no books have been loaded and skips right past that option.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:04 AM   #12
dmacmart
Fanatic

Okay way out of left field, long shot (to mix metaphors) - can you try downloading a book from Kobo store, update library on your desktop, then sync your Kobo? (there are lots of free books from Kobo).

I have no idea if this would work, but maybe it needs to have books in its own DB before it can recognize the "foreign" books?
Old 08-19-2010, 03:57 PM   #13
LeahWarner

Nothing I try seems to be working and I am getting some error messages on my computer when I plug the Kobo in. I am wondering if something has been corrupted on the actual Kobo or the software when I returned my books on the weekend...it was working just fine before that! I am heading in to the city tomorrow where there is a Chapters and will see what they say about it. Frustrating though...I was enjoying using the Kobo.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #14
shall1028
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahWarner View Post
I am getting some error messages on my computer when I plug the Kobo in.
Without knowing what those error messages are we will have to attempt to use clairvoyance to determine the cause of your Kobo's problem.

I see something...yes...here it is...the message says "iTunes can't read your iPod Touch". Was I close? No? How about: "You have inserted an already formatted DVD into the drive. Please insert a blank 4.7GB DVD-R."