Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-24-2010, 04:29 AM   #1
sillyfishyboy
sillyfishyboy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
PRS-505 Freeze on update

Hi all,
I have had my 505 for just over a year now and don't quite know how I managed to live without it. It has been brilliant to me, but am now wondering if its on its way out.
Recently it has started to freeze after I update the library. I have a wall charger and so have done the usual tricks, normally I find that it is working, just VERY VERY slowly, and so if I press the reset and then leave it. After about an hour or two it will restart and everything will be ok.
Last night though things took a turn for the worst. I had just moved my library to a new laptop. (always use Calibre, originally on Ubuntu Linux, then moved it to a mac OSX laptop, now its on a windows 7 laptop) It tried to update. worked ok although moving the books over to the memory card took ages. Then did its usual freeze on the the 'working' page (greyed out screen with the arrow in the middle). left it for an hour as sometimes it fixes itself. No joy, plugged it in and left it. Again no joy. pressed the reset and an hour later it restarted but froze again. It continued to do this for hours. left it overnight spinning. This morning it had turned itself off, restarted it and it kept on spinning again - I left it doing that when I came to work.

I did wonder if this is because all of my books are on memory card, I have a 2gb SD with about 1gb left on it, nothing on the system memory.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I need my ebook reader!!! I read about 5 hours a day (insomnia), going back to paperbacks last night was very depressing. If this is a sign that things are failing. Are there any decent alternatives to the 505. not a huge fan of the touch screen ones as all I want is a good reader (don't need all the extras) and the touch screen film seems to make the display less clear. (although I haven't spent much time with one.

Thanks.
sillyfishyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505, kindle, ithing
Hi

I also keep most of my books on memory cards - separating them by genre. I have found that the cards I use most can get slow/experience problems with loading files from calibre etc. I solved it by reformatting the card (a pain because I then had to reload it). I also reduced the number of books I had on the card even though it was well below its capacity. This solved it for me. (My 505 is nearly 2 years old and gets a great deal of use).
Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 03:46 AM   #3
sillyfishyboy
sillyfishyboy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks Rachel,
Yea I found pretty much the same thing last night. It was still frozen when I got home and so on the off-chance. I formatted the disk and converted all of my library, put only epub files back on the card (some early books were in odd formats). It seems to be working much better. At least I have my reader back for the weekend!!
sillyfishyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
TomeRaider
Enthusiast
TomeRaider began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy, Sony PRS505, PB 302, PB 360
I have used LRF format extensively and my 505 seems to lock up less as a result. I have about 2200 books on my sd card and it takes about 45 minutes for my 505 to rebuild the library but it always does - eventually.I just leave it in a corner plugged in and return later once its done
TomeRaider is offline   Reply With Quote