Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 03:59 AM   #1
manifestor
Connoisseur
manifestor began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZreader, Aluratek Libre Pro
Is ADE a must for PDF reflow?

It seems to me the readers (Libre, V3 etc) which can do PDF reflow do it with ADE. Is ADE the only ebook software that can reflow PDF text?
manifestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:22 AM   #2
adreamer
adreamer began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2, Paperwhite 2
Nope. eSlick reader by Foxit also does pdf re-flow(I'm not sure about quality). This is the same software (most probably older version) used by jetBook also for pdfs.
adreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 04:25 AM   #3
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Pocketbook has a software called pdfviewer. This does reflow, too!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:42 AM   #4
manifestor
Connoisseur

Thanks a lot for the replies.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Off-line reflow, i.e. PDF to ePub conversion, is also an option. Its disadvantage is that you don't have the option of seeing the original page (which can help if the reflow screws up). Its advantage is that you don't keep the original page breaks.

Calibre and Windows MobiPocket Reader are two options for off-line reflow.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
manifestor
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Off-line reflow, i.e. PDF to ePub conversion, is also an option. Its disadvantage is that you don't have the option of seeing the original page (which can help if the reflow screws up). Its advantage is that you don't keep the original page breaks.

Calibre and Windows MobiPocket Reader are two options for off-line reflow.
Yeah, I see what you mean, and I've converted some of my PDF files using Mobipocket Creator. But one big disadvantage is that I lose all the PDF bookmarks/TOC after conversion. And it's a big chore to build the TOC from scratch again on the outcome file (eg epub, mobi). I always wonder if there are easier methods to migrate the bookmarks/TOC of the original PDF into the outcome file. Any suggestions?

Last edited by manifestor; 02-01-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:10 PM   #7
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Question

Could somebody tell me what 'reflow' is? I'm so new to this.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:35 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
Could somebody tell me what 'reflow' is?
Most ebook formats reflow, i.e. if you change the font size the amount of text per line changes. Most web pages reflow this way (i.e. HTML is a reflowable format). PDF is a page layout format, designed to place text exactly where the publishers wanted it on the page. So on a large screen device, you usually pan and zoom a PDF page which magnifies the text but not where it is on the original page. Pannning and zooming works less well on a small screen, and works poorly on an EInk screen because the refresh time is relatively long.

Since most PDFs are text, it is possible to extract the text and reflow it like you would HTML. This does not always work, depending on the complexity of the original PDF layout. An Adobe PDF ebook should be designed to allow reflow, but not all are (and there and many PDFs from other sources).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:33 PM   #9
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
I see

pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:30 PM   #10
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Some PDF can be more of an image format, even if it is an image of a page of text.
( I guess that is the type produced by those scanners that have a PDF option.)

I have a number of that type which are scanned full page images from a magazine.
Also, the free graphic editor GIMP2 has an option to create such PDFs.

PDFs that are text documents or mixtures of text and graphic elements, can have
reflow of the text parts. To scan a document for the creation of a reflowable PDF,
you would have to use OCR so that you would have the text data to work with. To
make an image based PDF, you could just scan the page as an image. Of course
you would not be able to have reflow with an image based PDF.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:58 PM   #11
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by manifestor View Post
Yeah, I see what you mean, and I've converted some of my PDF files using Mobipocket Creator. But one big disadvantage is that I lose all the PDF bookmarks/TOC after conversion. And it's a big chore to build the TOC from scratch again on the outcome file (eg epub, mobi). I always wonder if there are easier methods to migrate the bookmarks/TOC of the original PDF into the outcome file. Any suggestions?
I have used Adobe Acrobat Pro to save the PDF as HTML and then used Calibre to convert the HTML to epub and the TOC is fine. I can't get Calibre to convert from PDF to epub and have the TOC saved.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:46 PM   #12
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Does anyone know if adobe acrobat has the function to structure page layout for handheld devices and if it works?
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote