Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 05-20-2010, 07:56 AM   #61
ra1madden
ra1madden began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
thanks for the info and help in understanding that I am a full rev behind and need to upgrade. Is there a listing of the changes to the upgraded firmware?
ra1madden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #62
gecko666
gecko666 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingenzyme View Post
Not a good idea at all. For one thing, they have completely different software. But here is a thread about someone's frightening experience trying to do what you're asking.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64249
That kind of sucks that it doesn't really work. From what I could find on this forum though it seems like the reverse is possible, as in Libre firmware can be installed on the JetBook, is that right?
Hmm... if the hardware is the same I wonder why there's such a problem.
gecko666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2010, 09:59 PM   #63
gecko666
gecko666 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I've successfully installed the JetBook firmware on my Libre (received today). The information on how to do it is here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65256
gecko666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:51 PM   #64
doug38
doug38 began at the beginning.

Device: Ectaco jetBook or Aluratek Libre
Libre firmware v.16 not for all

Checking with Aluratek's Tech Support, I learn that the firmware v.16 may not be needed by most users, since it is intended to: 1.fix the eject problem on MAC; 2.fix the time sync issue with PC; and 3.fix/update internal Adobe Digital Edition Support.

Bottom line was, TSupport suggested staying comfortably with v.15 for now.
-------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by uRwhatUr View Post
As a comparison, here are the Aluratek Libre firmware instructions. Does it really take the Jetbook 10-15 minutes to upgrade? My Libre takes about 2-3 minutes.

Aluratek Libre firmware instructions
1. go to www.aluratek.com then select the “support” tab
2. click the drop down arrow and curser down to the “Libre AEBK01F or
AEBK01WF”
3. select AEBK01F or AEBK01WF – “Libre” from the Drivers drop down menu to download the latest firmware (AEBK01F.zip or AEBK01WF.zip)
4. unzip AEBK01F.zip to find the firmware folder (you may use program such as WinZip)
5. insert the included SD card into AEBK01F
6. power on AEBK01F
7. connect AEBK01F to your computer
8. copy the folder “firmware” to the root directory of the SD card
9. disconnect AEBK01F from your computer after the file transfer
10. Reset AEBK01F by pressing the “RESET” button in the back of the unit
11. Push and hold both ‘>’ and ‘Power’ buttons for more than 5 seconds to boot up until you see the “Aluratek” logo
12. Wait for 10 to 20 seconds until the upgrade screen
13. Follow the on screen instruction to upgrade the unit (Regards to the warning message about the data been erased, only the internal memory will be erased and the free eBooks on the SD card will not be erased)
14. AEBK01F will now update the firmware. Please wait until you see the message
“Firmware Upgrade completed! The upgrade process takes about 2 minutes.

Note: the firmware process will erase the contents on the internal memory of the eBook reader but not the contents in the SD card.

Latest Aluratek Libre Firmware

Version 0.15k http://www.aluratek.com/download_drivers_manuals.php

5/28/2010
Per my chat just now with Aluratek:

You are now chatting with 'Pete'

Pete: Welcome to Aluratek's Live Help chat! What may I help you with today?

Me: Hey Pete! is .15k the latest libre firmware? are any libre's being shipped with a .16k firmware?

Pete: Actually, the newest models should be shipping with version 0.17.

Me: When will the site be updated to download beyond .15k?

Pete: We have not received the newest firmware for distribution. We will post it as soon as it is available.
doug38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #65
uRwhatUr
Groupie
uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug38 View Post
Checking with Aluratek's Tech Support, I learn that the firmware v.16 may not be needed by most users, since it is intended to: 1.fix the eject problem on MAC; 2.fix the time sync issue with PC; and 3.fix/update internal Adobe Digital Edition Support.

Bottom line was, TSupport suggested staying comfortably with v.15 for now.
-------------------
Great info to know doug38, thanks!
uRwhatUr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 08:21 AM   #66
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
For the jetBook Lite, is there a difference between firmware versions 0.15d and 0.15d-b which is currently posted at the Ectaco web page?
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:28 PM   #67
Number_6
Enthusiast
Number_6 doesn't litterNumber_6 doesn't litter

Device: Barnes and Noble Nook Wi-fi, Ectaco jetBookLite, Nokia N810, Nokia 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
For the jetBook Lite, is there a difference between firmware versions 0.15d and 0.15d-b which is currently posted at the Ectaco web page?
That's a great question as the date on the folder is April 1 and the firmware itself has a March 25 date. It would be nice if they included a revision history somewhere in the package so we would know what the difference is between versions.
Number_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:52 PM   #68
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_6 View Post
That's a great question as the date on the folder is April 1 and the firmware itself has a March 25 date. It would be nice if they included a revision history somewhere in the package so we would know what the difference is between versions.
Yeah, it's obviously a small change because they didn't even bother to change the letter from "d" to "e". I agree it would be nice if Ectaco let us know what changes they made when there's a new firmware version.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:28 AM   #69
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
It is confusing, looking at it I wonder if the "-b" means Beta.

So is the 0.15d-b a Beta version before the release version 0.15d?

Or, is it that there was a 0.15d, then a 0.15d-a, then a 0.15d-b?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #70
Seabound
Steerage Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
It is confusing, looking at it I wonder if the "-b" means Beta.

So is the 0.15d-b a Beta version before the release version 0.15d?

Or, is it that there was a 0.15d, then a 0.15d-a, then a 0.15d-b?

Luck;
Ken
I had gone to the Ectaco jetbook forum to see if there was any information about 0.15d-b. Someone had asked about it, but there was no reply. But there was no mention of 0.15d-b prior to 0.15d. And as Number_6 has mentioned, the firmware file has a date of March 25. So I'm guessing that the 0.15d-b is a newer posting than 0.15d.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #71
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well I flashed to the JBL 0.15g, and all seems well, so far. I don't have any idea what
might have changed, it seems the same as the 0.15 I had running before. I did notice
that it's on Patch v16 now, as well.

Luck;
Ken

P.S. I flashed the 0.15g firmware on the Ectaco FTP page that "tselling" posted,
not the link in the "sticky".

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 06-28-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #72
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Anyone know what the new JBL version does?
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #73
heffe2001
Zealot
heffe2001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage 3g
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post
Anyone know what the new JBL version does?
From the email I got:

The version should support ePub DRM books, but this is beta version which has not been officially released. Meanwhile it must work properly.
heffe2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:11 PM   #74
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I just received my replacement Jetbook from Ectaco this morning and it is using Firmware 34C. All is well with it.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:26 PM   #75
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Jerry has posted the JBL 0.16b BETA that he has been checking out, over at the
Ectaco Forum site. He said earlier that it still had some bugs, so I guess he might
be interested in what we find. (I put a link to Jerry's post in a non-sticky thread
today)

I just flashed mine and it shows "Software: v0.16b Patch: v16".

It shows "Reader Mobile" by Adobe... Version 9.1.1" for PDF "About" menu item.

The PDF reflow looks pretty good, to me. PDFs that the JBL used to treat as full page
images are now treated as they are on my PC.

More important to me my Calibre generated epubs still look good, in some ways better
than before. The way the "Font/Zoom" is working on the epubs may take some getting
used to though.

It seems to be handling my PDB eReader DRM books OK, but it's not asking for my
unlock data so I am not sure. The PDB books seem to still function as before.

I'm not sure what "bugs" Jerry was seeing, but I've just started with it.

Luck;
Ken

The "Background Music" settings for epubs, might be one?

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 07-27-2010 at 08:16 PM.