Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 06:59 AM   #31
Nikko73
Enthusiast
Nikko73 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Aura One (after Hanlin, Sony and other Kobo devices)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No; a capacitive touch screen doesn't have to be directly touched and can go underneath the display screen.

However, capacitive touch screen aren't terribly accurate; they can be used for "buttons", but (unless they've improved since I last came across them) you won't be able to use it for annotation (writing on the screen).
Well personally thats fine, I wouldn't use it for annotations.

As I read lying down most often I would welcome a page turn function appreciably above the half way mark of the device. A touch screen that allows page turning would fit the bill nicely, so long as I wouldn't be trading readability (contrast etc.) for the privelege.
Nikko73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #32
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Does anybody know who will be selling these in the US?

I was assuming Astak would rebrand them but, since there hasn't been any news from CES, I'm assuming they won't sell them.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 09:14 AM   #33
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post

I was assuming Astak would rebrand them but, since there hasn't been any news from CES, I'm assuming they won't sell them.
Astak is the US distributor for Jinke, who makes the readers. Unless that relationship has changed, I would expect Astak to sell these readers too.

Most of the Astak staff is at CES right now, so I wouldn't expect to hear from them before next week.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:25 AM   #34
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
I was not impressed with the Sipix screens that i saw. Jinke had them of course and I also saw a reference model at the Marvell booth. The contrast was not as good as the e-ink displays.

I did find at CES that 2 companies- HTC and HP have stylus that work with their Capacitive touch devices. That is definitively a plus for this epd's going forward. If you can do touch with astylus cheaper than Wacom but without the layer over top of the display - its pretty much a win
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:57 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
I did find at CES that 2 companies- HTC and HP have stylus that work with their Capacitive touch devices. That is definitively a plus for this epd's going forward. If you can do touch with astylus cheaper than Wacom but without the layer over top of the display - its pretty much a win
IF the accuracy is sufficient. A pointing accuracy of a few mm is fine for, say, an on-screen keyboard, but for things like "freehand" annotation you really need pixel accuracy. I don't know if capacitive touch screens can provide that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 03:19 AM   #36
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
Quote:

Before he left to prepare the Astak booth for the show, I read a post by Robert (Astak's rep) that he would post all the announcements when he returned to his office. I don't expect anything from him and therefore fairly official until probably Tuesday at the earliest. Robert did mention in his blog that several new models and lots of news would be announced at CES so I am hopeful. Though I had hoped to see something from Nate or Charbax or Dulin's Books during the show. Perhaps they haven't made it there yet with everything there is to see and play with?
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:12 AM   #37
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
both A6 and A9 are on preorder as of 15th of February.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:41 AM   #38
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Hmmm, very interesting.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:27 AM   #39
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiNK View Post
Where can one see some specs and put in an order? Any pricing and ship dates? I don't see this on the Astak site.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #40
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Where?
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:28 PM   #41
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Ok, i would like to know a source for this info =D
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:38 AM   #42
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Where can one see some specs and put in an order? Any pricing and ship dates? I don't see this on the Astak site.
Sorry, I should have been more explicit.
Actually, the info comes from Lbook catering for the Russian and Ukrainian markets.
But I guess it could be used as a ballpark date for availability in other countries.

Last edited by eLiNK; 02-08-2010 at 03:46 AM.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:12 AM   #43
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
With a projected sale date of 30th March.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:17 AM   #44
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
For those who don't read Russian:
Pre-order date for both A6 and A9 is 15 Feb, planned availability date is 30 March.
Price: USD 275-280 for the A6, and USD 325-330 for the A9.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:31 AM   #45
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
For those who don't read Russian:
Pre-order date for both A6 and A9 is 15 Feb, planned availability date is 30 March.
Price: USD 275-280 for the A6, and USD 325-330 for the A9.
Thanks for the update! The web site is blocked for me right now (Websense), so I couldn't even Google translate it.
Do you know if they be shipping out of Ukraine or elsewhere?
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jinke, lbook, sipix