Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2009, 10:31 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Okay here we go....I bought my 505 today.

Just starting to figure things out. It appears I must use the Sony E-library software to buy/download books from Sony or Google but I have just gotten used to using Calibre and am preferring it to manage my library. Anyone else doing that sort of thing or do you all just use the Sony software?

Also I get an pop-up error when I connect my Reader -- apparently a USB driver issue on the Drive/drives (maybe the memory cards?). Everything appears to work but the error is obnoxious every time I plug it in. Any tips or direction wrt that problem?

Thanks!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:58 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
You can buy eBooks at places other than Sony's store.

Look for ebook stores that sell Secure Adobe ePub ebooks. Some stores call them Digital Editions.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Check out Books on Board and Diesel, both sell books in ePub format. Also you can get DRM free Multiformat books from Fictionwise. Webscriptions (SciFi/Fantasy) has DRM free books that will work for you, check out the 'free library' for lots of free titles.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:03 AM   #4
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Bob and Brian.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
You can still use Calibre to load your books/manage your library with books bought from the Sony store. After using Sony's library to buy the book, use Calibre's add files and tell it to get the book from where it is stored on your HD. For me, my Sony downloads are stored in a file called My Books, in My Documents folder. Hope this helps!
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #6
kennyc

Becca, yep, that's what I was playing around with. Thanks for your confirmation!
Old 09-03-2009, 06:14 AM   #7
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
And Baen, if you read sci-fi and fantasy their free library, webscriptions, and their free to distribute CDs are all awesome.

(The archive of the Baen CD's isn't a Baen website, but has been repeatedly confirmed as legal, and is run by a forum member Dahak!)
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:27 AM   #8
kennyc

Yeah, I've been checking out all of these places and that Baen webscriptions thing looks quite interesting. Long ago I had subscriptions to several of the sci-fi mags -- Asimov's and Analog in particular. And the prices seems somewhat reasonable compared to say Amazon/Kindle subscription prices for mags...

I've also been checking out some of the calibre recipes/periodical/web downloads - very interesting stuff.

So much to read, so little time....

I've downloaded a few classics that have been on my reading list for ages, have gotten all set up for local library checks (and have checked out a couple -- though one was a mobi and I didn't realize the Sony doesn't do mobi --

Currently reading "Of Human Bondage" by W. Somerset Maugham

Last edited by kennyc; 09-03-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:56 PM   #9
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I'm also getting a weird pop up error message when I plug my reader in as well. It only started after I upgraded to the new ebook library.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:54 PM   #10
kennyc

Hmmm. Pretty sure mine is associated with the use ports/drives as it does not do it on my netbook, just my desktop.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:39 PM   #11
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

Just starting to figure things out. It appears I must use the Sony E-library software to buy/download books from Sony or Google but I have just gotten used to using Calibre and am preferring it to manage my library. Anyone else doing that sort of thing or do you all just use the Sony software?

Also I get an pop-up error when I connect my Reader -- apparently a USB driver issue on the Drive/drives (maybe the memory cards?). Everything appears to work but the error is obnoxious every time I plug it in. Any tips or direction wrt that problem?

Thanks!
Hi, I just got a PRS505 for my wife to read on (I am currently using a Jetbook). Calibre is a great tool for managing the Sony reader. I imagine the only reason I need the Sony software at this point is to authorize the reader for DRM'd books and for firmware updates.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:18 PM   #12
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Long ago I had subscriptions to several of the sci-fi mags -- Asimov's and Analog in particular. And the prices seems somewhat reasonable compared to say Amazon/Kindle subscription prices for mags...
You can subscribe to these magazines in ebook form on Fictionwise; each issue is automatically added to your "bookshelf" on the web site when it is available, and then you choose which format to download it in, including LRF (Sony native format).
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:56 PM   #13
bookfiend
Enthusiast
bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma
I use Calibre too. I briefly considered switching to the Sony software last week, when it became available for Mac, but when I installed it (after having to fiddle around with the international settings so it would work). I found I couldn't edit metadata. So I'll stick with Calibre.
bookfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:09 AM   #14
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Hi, I just got a PRS505 for my wife to read on (I am currently using a Jetbook). Calibre is a great tool for managing the Sony reader. I imagine the only reason I need the Sony software at this point is to authorize the reader for DRM'd books and for firmware updates.

--
Bill
Thanks Bill. I was thinking you had to use the sony booklibrary to access the sony bookstore, but I don't think that is the case. Not totally up to speed on whether it is needed for DRM'd books or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
You can subscribe to these magazines in ebook form on Fictionwise; each issue is automatically added to your "bookshelf" on the web site when it is available, and then you choose which format to download it in, including LRF (Sony native format).
Yes, that's great! I may do that. It's a brave new world here and I have so much to read already though it may be a bit or I may just have to fit it in somehow.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookfiend View Post
I use Calibre too. I briefly considered switching to the Sony software last week, when it became available for Mac, but when I installed it (after having to fiddle around with the international settings so it would work). I found I couldn't edit metadata. So I'll stick with Calibre.
Thank you for that info. Much appreciated. Enjoy! And thanks for those links..
Old 09-05-2009, 07:38 AM   #15
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
kennyc you can also borrow eBooks from some libraries. Typically they are in ADE format and you get to keep them for 21 days after which they disappear from your reader. I've borrowed several books from the Fairfax, VA library and enjoyed the free read. Check out the list of eBook lending libraries in our Wiki here https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote