Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #1
jeth32
jeth32 began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Add books _ duplicate options

So far the only options I have found when adding books and duplicate title are found is to either add them anyway, or not.

Is there some option somewhere which would work like a Windows copy hat would let you replace an older copy with a new one so you don't end up with duplicates?

Thank you......
jeth32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:23 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There's no reliable way to know if one copy is older than the other other than by the date/time and that isn't reliable enough in this case. However, what could be done is that when you get told the book you are adding might be a duplicate, to give you and option to delete the one that's already in the library in case you know it's older and you no longer want it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2017, 04:24 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
a permitted 'Add' can OVERWRITE dups or make a separate entry

What it cant do is compare timestamps or content
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:21 PM   #4
jeth32

Add books - Duplicate option

Thanks for responses, JSWolf and theducks,

The option to choose which one to keep is certainly a good option, and probably safer in the event that you were merging an older library with a new one.

"theducks"....I'm not sure what you meant by "add permitted" and "Overwrite". I don't recall seeing those terms, so I guess I'm going to have to spend some more time reading.

Thanks again......
Old 01-17-2017, 06:44 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Add permitted; Means Follow your settings
What do you Permit, What to do when there is a clash
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2017, 11:50 PM   #6
jeth32

Add books - Duplicate option

Thanks again, "the ducks",

To paraphrase Rex Harrison in My Fair Lady (and date myself ) "By Jove, I think he's got it!"

I worked my way down through Preferences/Adding Books/The Add Process....
to: Automerge/Overwrite existing formats

I'll see how that works the next time I have some to merge; in fact I think I'll try redoing a couple that I did today.....tomorrow, when I wake up.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:19 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@jeth32 - I prefer to add books to an "Intake" library and use the Find Duplicates (plugin)->Find library duplicates feature to look for duplicates in the "Target" library.

Books which are not duplicates (the vast majority) can be moved the book from the "Intake" to the "Target" Library with impunity. Books for which there are duplicates must be 'investigated'. My Add Books preferences are:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	154282

More importantly having an Intake library gives me a 'platform' where I can get the metadata correct up front. When I was adding books direct to the Target library, I was lax in doing that, so I had lots of anomalies like 'mispelt' author and publisher names. There are tools to help find such things and fix them, but I prefer prevention to remedy.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:15 PM   #8
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
a permitted 'Add' can OVERWRITE dups or make a separate entry

What it cant do is compare timestamps or content
Have had the "overwrite" option & it doesn't work. Have 2 recent books that are dups & remember that there are others.

The books are from Amazon which updates to existing books which have also been converted to epub fromat. So it may be that the add & overwrite is only checking the new AZW3 versus the EPUB format?!.

Have decided to uncheck the automerge to prevent more dups in the library; only have around 620 books now so not a big deal so far.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote