Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-13-2015, 06:11 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm not sure there's any real pressure to lower the price. The current Voyage has sold very well, and there seems to be room in the market for a "premium" product. If the price was lowered, it may damage PW sales.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:20 AM   #17
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not sure there's any real pressure to lower the price. The current Voyage has sold very well, and there seems to be room in the market for a "premium" product. If the price was lowered, it may damage PW sales.
If customers move from a mid-range product to a high-end product (from the same company), isn't that a good thing?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2015, 07:42 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
If customers move from a mid-range product to a high-end product (from the same company), isn't that a good thing?
Certainly it is, so why lower the price if a lot of people are buying the high-end product at its current price?
Old 09-13-2015, 07:55 AM   #19
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Certainly it is, so why lower the price if a lot of people are buying the high-end product at its current price?
My assumption: Mid-range product has many many more customers than the high-end product.

Conclusion: moving a lot of customers from the low-cost/low profit PW (another assumption) device to higher priced/higher profit Voyager (another assumption) would make a lot more money.

We may not have enough information to say which is more profitable.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:49 AM   #20
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Amazon will want to increase the difference between the Voyage and the PW3. The screens are the same, so all that leaves is the styling and the buttons. I don't see quite what they can do. Maybe Amazon think that's enough.

I expect the "upgrades" to be underwhelming. Don't expect to see any significant innovation. Same old 6". Maybe they'll throw users a new font
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2015, 11:26 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Amazon will want to increase the difference between the Voyage and the PW3. The screens are the same, so all that leaves is the styling and the buttons.
That's not all. There's also the metal case of the Voyage compared to the plastic case of the PW3, toughened glass screen of the Voyage compared to the plastic screen of the PW3 (the glass screen noticeably improves the contrast), and the light sensor of the Voyage, which the PW3 lacks.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:20 PM   #22
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Give me an 8" e-ink device with a super sharp screen, leave off the light, price $70 range and I'm interested.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:25 PM   #23
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
Give me an 8" e-ink device with a super sharp screen, leave off the light, price $70 range and I'm interested.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:27 PM   #24
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Amazon will want to increase the difference between the Voyage and the PW3. The screens are the same, so all that leaves is the styling and the buttons. I don't see quite what they can do. Maybe Amazon think that's enough.

I expect the "upgrades" to be underwhelming. Don't expect to see any significant innovation. Same old 6". Maybe they'll throw users a new font
I am expecting (at some point in the next couple of years) to see the Voyager line go water resistant to take some of the Kobo H2O's beach vacation and mass transit commuter thunder.
That would make more sense in my view than a new line to fit that market.

I think that would be significant even though Kobo already broke that ground.
If it happens, don't be looking for a price drop.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:40 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Eink do actually make an 8" Pearl screen with a 1600x1200 resolution, so it could be done, but probably not for $70
Old 09-13-2015, 03:56 PM   #26
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I'm sure at some point Amazon is going to replace the PW with the Voyage, and create a new premium device. Or make a Voyage, call it the PW4, and make a better Voyage.
Technology moves on, what was once premium becomes standard.

Whether that time is now? I don't know, I guess we will find out soon.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:09 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I'm sure at some point Amazon is going to replace the PW with the Voyage, and create a new premium device. Or make a Voyage, call it the PW4, and make a better Voyage.
Technology moves on, what was once premium becomes standard.

Whether that time is now? I don't know, I guess we will find out soon.
I think the PW will be the budget line and the Voyage the premium line.

I don't see what Amazon can do with the Voyage other than make a larger screen version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:24 PM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No one saw the Voyage coming, though. Amazon do surprise people sometimes.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:42 PM   #29
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
I would expect to see a new Voyage announced in the next month. The current Voyage was released on 21st October 2014, and Amazon do tend to refresh product ranges on roughly a one-year timescale.
Amazon already refreshed the Kindle product line this year when they launched the KPW3.

Also, I would remind you that we have seen many FCC listings for Amazon gadgets but nothing that could be described as an ereader:
http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/0...hey-have-wifi/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:09 PM   #30
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
How about a 13.3 inch device?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote