Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-04-2014, 05:49 PM   #151
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
The techcrunch article says there's a rumour about haptic feedback buttons, would that be like Senseg-style electrostatic haptics to add the structural feel of different types of paper as well ?

http://www.disneyresearch.com/project/teslatouch/

Last edited by tovare; 04-04-2014 at 06:01 PM.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:05 PM   #152
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer
Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1, and iPhone XS Max
I totally agree with Nathan. I respect Harry and have no desire to argue or have anyone gang up on anyone. Just a little leniency in the rumor policing is all I ask for.

I wonder what kind of haptic response it would be. I hope it just means a simple click feeling. I wouldn't want my kindle to vibrate every time I turn the page.

I was planning to purchase the next upgrade. (I had a PW1) But I didn't feel like waiting that long, especially for something that isn't even confirmed yet. So I went ahead and ordered a PW2 about a month ago. I'm very happy with it (although less so now, since the PW1 got an update which made them almost indistinguishable).

I'm still waiting though...waiting to find out whether I will regret my choice to not hold out for a PW3. If the screen is indeed flush with the edges--as in no tactile bezel--then I won't have any regrets. But if it has more onboard storage, is thinner, lighter and floats above my face (as someone else here put it), then I may just have to cry, lol.
Vmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2014, 03:47 AM   #153
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
All the releases quoted above are pretty old. In recent years, for the Kindle Touch, original Kindle Paperwhite, and most recently the Paperwhite 2, announcements have been made around September/October, presumably timed to maximize Christmas sales. The recent PW launches have been combined with simultaneous launches of Kindle Fire tablets.
I was calmly replying to the shouted statement that:
The only thing we know is that it will be released around September-October (and DEFINITELY not May-ish); we know that because it fits the precedent set by Amazon for EVERY SINGLE KINDLE RELEASE TO DATE!!
Shouting from the original post.

No, the poster I was replying to doesn't know anything. He is guessing, because from previous releases (not counting "international" versions), 5 were announced and released in September-October and 4 between February and July.

This is yet another speculation (not even a rumor) presented here in this thread as a hard fact.

Last edited by kacir; 04-07-2014 at 06:33 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:23 AM   #154
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
You are right kacir that they haven't always been released at the same time, but you are making a pretty pedantic point. The dates you listed were all pretty old, immaterial of whatever particular point you were replying to. The first few models apart, and one of them you quoted is just the announcement date (the Kindle Keyboard didn't go on sale until the end of August, an updated version then in May 2011), they have all been released around Autumn/Fall.

As previously mentioned in this thread, and posted elsewhere, since 2010 Amazon have been pretty consistent:

Kindle Keyboard August 2010/May 2011
Kindle 4/Touch September 2011
Kindle 5 September 2012
Kindle Paperwhite October 2012
Kindle Paperwhite (2013 Edition) September 2013

Fair enough, this is probably a pretty pedantic reply too....

Maybe Amazon will surprise us by releasing a new Kindle in the next month, I personally wouldn't bet on it, but who knows?

Last edited by soulfuldog; 04-07-2014 at 05:27 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:55 AM   #155
U2Bono269
Connoisseur
U2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post

Maybe Amazon will surprise us by releasing a new Kindle in the next month, I personally wouldn't bet on it, but who knows?

I think this is the most important and accurate takeaway regarding Amazon's release date for the PW3.
U2Bono269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2014, 04:45 PM   #156
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
You just like to be contrary though.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #157
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I was calmly replying to the shouted statement that:
The only thing we know is that it will be released around September-October (and DEFINITELY not May-ish); we know that because it fits the precedent set by Amazon for EVERY SINGLE KINDLE RELEASE TO DATE!!
Shouting from the original post.

No, the poster I was replying to doesn't know anything. He is guessing, because from previous releases (not counting "international" versions), 5 were announced and released in September-October and 4 between February and July.

This is yet another speculation (not even a rumor) presented here in this thread as a hard fact.
I was pretty sure I had read on a thread somewhere here that this was so, although I am no longer sure where, and didn't bother to actually check up on it. And I wasn't on the ereading scene for the earlier releases. Either way, it is inexcusable. Thanks for catching me out.

However, it remains a good point that recently they have all been released around the holiday season, so at least my rant had some (if not much) basis -- it's improbable that any releases will take place in future outside that time period.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:47 PM   #158
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer
Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think it's a matter of whether it ever occurred at a different time of year. What matters is the trend, and Amazon's current trend is a fall(ish) release.

Release dates are usually strategically planned in order to outsell the competition. Back in the early days, when the Kindle was brand new, Amazon didn't have any competition, so any release date would be successful.

But it makes sense that their release strategies would shift once the Kobo and Nook (and whatever others I'm forgetting) started gaining momentum. Hence the more recent fall releases. (we're referrring to e-ink Kindles, btw)
Old 09-18-2014, 08:08 AM   #159
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
So this "rumour" ended up being pretty much 100% true! How about that? I remember there being a lot of angst in this thread. I don't feel like rereading it to see if I have egg on my face however.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #160
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
So this "rumour" ended up being pretty much 100% true!
Last time I looked, October was not "Q2" Predicting that Amazon would release a new Kindle towards the end of the year does not require crystal balls, given that this is exactly what they've done for about 4 years in a row now.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:51 AM   #161
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
never mind

Last edited by JoHunt; 09-18-2014 at 02:44 PM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #162
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Last time I looked, October was not "Q2" Predicting that Amazon would release a new Kindle towards the end of the year does not require crystal balls, given that this is exactly what they've done for about 4 years in a row now.
Timing is crucial.If you don't have product on the shelf by Black Friday, you can pretty much kiss the holiday shopping season goodbye. People will get something else instead.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:45 AM   #163
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Oh well obviously that date is wrong. It doesn't take a crystal ball to know that Amazon releases in Oct/Nov. But all the features are pretty much dead on.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:09 PM   #164
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
So this "rumour" ended up being pretty much 100% true! How about that?
Pretty sure he was referring to the details of the actual Kindle, not the date. Every detail, from the haptic buttons, to the flush screen and higher resolution, were 100% spot-on. That's some wild "prediction".

Tags
300 ppi, 3rd generation, good, kindle, paperwhite