Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #1
Custom
Custom began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
505 dead

Yesterday I've used the item for a short time, the battery was at a medium level. Today I've tried to power on it but nothing happened. I've tried for various times but nothing. I've pressed the reset button, no way.

Then I've connected it to the pc by the usb cable but the pc did not recognize the item and so no charging (anyway the connection has taken more than 6 hours).

I absolutely did nothing than using the reader for ten times.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The first thing you should check for is a dead battery -- I see you've done this, and the 505 is supposed to charge from a USB port even when it's totally flat. Even so, I'd suggest that if you have/can get access to a PSP wall charger, try that.

The battery meters seem to need a few cycles to learn what a charged battery really looks like, so if your 505 was fairly new, it's possible that it only thought the battery was half charged.

If none of that works, then it's time to (shudder) call tech support.

Do please let us know what comes of it either way ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
Custom

Thanks Natch, just ordered tha Ac Adapter, i will receive it in the next four days. I hope that everything is as you described!

To tell the truth I haven't charged the item for more than 2 hours since when it has arrived (3 weeks ago). But if it is not the battery I can't do anything, I am from Italy (so no warranty) and I've bought the item from an Ebay seller that now seems to be a ghost...
Old 02-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
2 hours in 3 weeks.... Yeah, I'd add that up to "dead battery" even for a Sony!

Hopefully, that'll take care of it -- it almost always does.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:15 PM   #5
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom View Post
Thanks Natch, just ordered tha Ac Adapter, i will receive it in the next four days. I hope that everything is as you described!

To tell the truth I haven't charged the item for more than 2 hours since when it has arrived (3 weeks ago). But if it is not the battery I can't do anything, I am from Italy (so no warranty) and I've bought the item from an Ebay seller that now seems to be a ghost...
I hope you didn't order the "official" Sony Reader charger! You can pick up a Sony PSP charger at any electronics or video game store, immediately and cheaper. And they tend to be smaller and more easily transportable than the official 'brick'!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2008, 01:19 PM   #6
Custom

Update
I've received the ac/dc charger. It's a Sony, but seems to be ok.
Anyway the reader do nothing, it seems dead. The only thing i can do is to charge it for 8 hours and wait.

@NatCh: sorry I am Italian i did not understand completely what you have written in your last post

Last edited by Custom; 02-07-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:19 AM   #7
Custom

Ok, a night of charging but nothing: it did not power on.
I don't know what to do, maybe I can sell it on Ebay as broken...

Any suggestion could be appreciated.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:10 PM   #8
roofone
Enthusiast
roofone began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, ipod, ipad
Does thered LED come on when you charge it? Does the orange LED come on when you slide the power switch?

Try resetting it as you slide the power switch (or sliding the power switch as you reset it).

My 505 has appeared dead a few times, I had to charge it using a PSP charger, and then fool around with sliding the power switch and reseting it a few times until it booted.

Good luck.
roofone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:09 PM   #9
Custom

No led come on.
I've tried with the ac/dc but nothing, tried to reset while switiching the power, nothing...
Old 02-13-2008, 11:10 AM   #10
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
It sounds like you've tried pretty much everything to get it working, and it may very well be that you simply have a defective product. A lot of people on here have had plenty of experience dealing with Sony customer service, so I'd do a little research on that process and try to figure out the cheapest and least painful way to get a new/repaired model from Sony.
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:30 PM   #11
Custom

As I said i live in Italy. I bought the item conscious that it was a risk. Unlucky...

I have two possibility find someone living in usa who I can ship the item, he has to repair it and reship it to me. But I don't know nobody in USA, its' not a little thing...

So I am thinking to sell the item on ebay as broken to US customer, they can use the Sony warranty and obtain the substitution or the repair of the item.

Sony Italy don't know the item and they don't give me any kind of warranty...