Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 06-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #1
davidsmartin
davidsmartin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
American Prospect recipe not working

I ran the American Prospect recipe. It downloaded the titles of 25 articles but for each article there was only a notice about how to subscribe. I opened numerous articles on their webpage successfully so I am not sure what happened. I hope the author or someone else can fix it.

Thanks,

David
davidsmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:45 AM   #2
sexymax15
Enthusiast
sexymax15 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3g
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsmartin View Post
I ran the American Prospect recipe. It downloaded the titles of 25 articles but for each article there was only a notice about how to subscribe. I opened numerous articles on their webpage successfully so I am not sure what happened. I hope the author or someone else can fix it.

Thanks,

David
They stopped providing free rss now you will need subscribe for 14.99$.
sexymax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
davidsmartin
davidsmartin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
They have the full text of their stories on their web site for free. Is it difficult for a recipe to collect the stories from the website instead of from rss?
davidsmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
sdow1
Connoisseur
sdow1 began at the beginning.

Device: nook, ipad
I still can't download the American Prospect, and ran into this thread when trying to figure out the problem.

The response from sexymax15 doesn't make any sense, as I can access the RSS feed just fine through google reader, and clicking through the link takes me directly to the full articles - no subscription required. But the recipe itself still returns nothing but a table of contents and then a bunch of empty sections.
sdow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdow1 View Post
I still can't download the American Prospect, and ran into this thread when trying to figure out the problem.

The response from sexymax15 doesn't make any sense, as I can access the RSS feed just fine through google reader, and clicking through the link takes me directly to the full articles - no subscription required. But the recipe itself still returns nothing but a table of contents and then a bunch of empty sections.
They may permit free access through Google, but not directly. Have you tried going to the RSS feed directly? Why not use the Greader recipe if it works in Greader?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2011, 02:49 AM   #6
a.peter
Enthusiast
a.peter began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdow1 View Post
But the recipe itself still returns nothing but a table of contents and then a bunch of empty sections.
I took a look at the recipe. It seems that the page structure changed. The regular expressions were a little bit greedy and removed nearly the whole page.

I've modified the recipe to use keep_only_tags and remove_tags to clean up the pages. The result now contains the articles.

aprospect.recipe.txt
a.peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.peter View Post
I've modified the recipe to use keep_only_tags and remove_tags to clean up the pages. The result now contains the articles
If a.peter's modification repairs the recipe, could it please be included in a future calibre update along with other "improved news sources"? The built-in recipe still downloads only a table of contents.

Thank you to everyone who's effort and skills make the news feature such a great part of calibre.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Thank you.

(Fix was included in latest update.)
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote