Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2011, 03:56 PM   #31
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Image files need to be 800x600 or less? that has never been the case before. Larger images could be zoomed and panned. Are there Menu or other options ('text') for the viewer as before?
Here is what I wrote: "Pictures display best when they are smaller than 600 x 800 pixels. A picture width of 520 x 640 displays well. If you Enable Full Screen Mode from the Menu, then 600 x 800 pixel images will work. It is a bit flaky, but if you page through a few images it seems to clear up any issues and then displays them okay."

I attached a screen capture of the menu. I cannot see how to pan and/or zoom, but I have not played with it much. After all, viewing pictures on an E Ink device is pretty lame IMO.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-30883.gif
Views:	2345
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	77629  
Old 10-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #32
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Here is what I wrote: "Pictures display best when they are smaller than 600 x 800 pixels. A picture width of 520 x 640 displays well. If you Enable Full Screen Mode from the Menu, then 600 x 800 pixel images will work. It is a bit flaky, but if you page through a few images it seems to clear up any issues and then displays them okay."

I attached a screen capture of the menu. I cannot see how to pan and/or zoom, but I have not played with it much. After all, viewing pictures on an E Ink device is pretty lame IMO.

Thanks for the screen capture, the Menu looks the same as before.

There were also options tied to the Aa key before, but looks like those are inaccessible. I think pictures larger than 800x600 will be scaled to fit, the only question is if you can zoom & pan with the more limited keyboard. Of course if you can't zoom, there's no point in having the images larger than 800x600, even if they scale to fit.

If you can bring up the virtual keyboard, however, perhaps the keyboard shortcuts still work:
'f' toggles full screen mode
'r' rotates image 1/4 turn CCW and then back
'q' zooms in (when not in Actual Size mode)
'w' zooms out (")
'e' reset zoom (")
'c' toggles 'Actual Size' mode (displays at 100%)

Presumably the 5way pans as before when you are zoomed in.

Alt+G used to refreshes the pixels and removes 'ghosting' in the image viewer in image viewer, I don't remember the K4 shortcut equivalent mentioned in this thread, but that should work.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #33
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Thanks for the screen capture, the Menu looks the same as before.

There were also options tied to the Aa key before, but looks like those are inaccessible. I think pictures larger than 800x600 will be scaled to fit, the only question is if you can zoom & pan with the more limited keyboard. Of course if you can't zoom, there's no point in having the images larger than 800x600, even if they scale to fit.

If you can bring up the virtual keyboard, however, perhaps the keyboard shortcuts still work:
'f' toggles full screen mode
'r' rotates image 1/4 turn CCW and then back
'q' zooms in (when not in Actual Size mode)
'w' zooms out (")
'e' reset zoom (")
'c' toggles 'Actual Size' mode (displays at 100%)

Presumably the 5way pans as before when you are zoomed in.

Alt+G used to refreshes the pixels and removes 'ghosting' in the image viewer in image viewer, I don't remember the K4 shortcut equivalent mentioned in this thread, but that should work.
On screen keyboard is disabled. To refresh screen press and hold the Keyboard button then press the Back button.

Like I said the Picture Viewer is flaky. I suspect they will improve it with FW updates.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #34
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
On screen keyboard is disabled. To refresh screen press and hold the Keyboard button then press the Back button.

Like I said the Picture Viewer is flaky. I suspect they will improve it with FW updates.
Too bad.

I don't expect it will ever be fixed—it has always been 'flaky', and it has never even risen to the level of being a documented feature. Now even its limited functionality has been crippled, at least for K4.

Of course you can send the image .zip to the send-to-kindle address and convert to .azw, then any Kindle or KApp can view it (and some apps will even be able to zoom/pan). Or put them in a PDF if you want to pan/zoom larger images. That's the 'official' image viewing feature.

It will be interesting to see how Kindle Touch deals with this, and also with PDF viewing: will double-tap zoom in/out, will drag pan?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #35
Darth_Bane
Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Sony PRS-505 and PRS-300, Kobo Wifi, Touch and Mini, Kindle 4NT
Quote:
How to set Page Refresh to every page:
From the Home screen, select Settings in the Menu. In Settings, scroll to page 3 of 3 and you will see the Page Refresh option. The screen reads Refresh the E Ink display with every page turn. Click turn on to activate or turn off to deactivate.
If I read Amazon's changelog correctly, I think this feature appeared in 4.0.1 of the firmware, but many K4s (like mine) were shipped with 4.0. Unfortunately, I updated to 4.0.1 so I can't verify if your tip works on the older version.
Darth_Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #36
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Is there a keyboard shortcut for the "Enter key" after inputing a word using the on screen keyboard? right now there is a minimum of 2 clicks required for that function with a full screen refresh in between.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #37
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Bane View Post
If I read Amazon's changelog correctly, I think this feature appeared in 4.0.1 of the firmware, but many K4s (like mine) were shipped with 4.0. Unfortunately, I updated to 4.0.1 so I can't verify if your tip works on the older version.
You are correct that it only applies to 4.0.1 and above. I'll make that correction to the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinew View Post
Is there a keyboard shortcut for the "Enter key" after inputing a word using the on screen keyboard? right now there is a minimum of 2 clicks required for that function with a full screen refresh in between.
Not that I know of. I have noticed that the lack of specific function buttons has caused several shortcuts to require two clicks rather than one. The price we pay for a vastly abbreviated keyboard!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:11 AM   #38
bibiboo
bibiboo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
I figure out we can see the serial of this product by press and hold keyboard button and double press Left Previous Page button.
bibiboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #39
Ceuse
Ceuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 4 Non Touch & Kindle Keyboard
any ideas how to go to the minesweeper game on the kindle 4 non touch
Ceuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #40
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceuse View Post
any ideas how to go to the minesweeper game on the kindle 4 non touch
Will it not download from the Archive? I know some games will I don't see why MindSweeper wouldn't.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #41
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
There used to be a built-in minesweeper game on some Kindles, not active content. But, I think you had to use Alt-M or something to get it to show up. That won't work with the on-screen keyboard.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #42
M-A-X
M-A-X began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
There's picture viewer : zip your images and put package inside documents folder.
Thanks for the hint. First I thought it is a joke. It works. (I'm new with Kindle).
M-A-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:06 AM   #43
sheffieldsteve
sheffieldsteve began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Have posted another thread related to parts of this one (sorry!) but not yet received any satisfactory replies ... maybe you guys can help.
I view large jpg diagrams (approx 1000 x 1000 pixels) on my K3 using picture viewer and view them at full size and scroll across them to see all of the diagram.
Is this possible on the K4 ? ie can you see full sized jpgs or are they resized to fit the screen ? Presumably the 4 way scroll will work to scroll across if they display at full size but zoom etc on the K4 will not be possible.
Thanx for your help on this - dont want to get a K4 if it cant do whet I want - will stick with the K3
sheffieldsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #44
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheffieldsteve View Post
Have posted another thread related to parts of this one (sorry!) but not yet received any satisfactory replies ... maybe you guys can help.
I view large jpg diagrams (approx 1000 x 1000 pixels) on my K3 using picture viewer and view them at full size and scroll across them to see all of the diagram.
Is this possible on the K4 ? ie can you see full sized jpgs or are they resized to fit the screen ? Presumably the 4 way scroll will work to scroll across if they display at full size but zoom etc on the K4 will not be possible.
Thanx for your help on this - dont want to get a K4 if it cant do whet I want - will stick with the K3
As I mentioned in my PM to you, placing a jpeg in the pictures folder will do no good as there is no Alt button and thus no way to invoke the Alt + Z command which scans the pictures folder.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:57 PM   #45
justwonder2
justwonder2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Hi,
I just brought this Kindle and was wondering if you can advise me on how to view PNG files. Jpg files works by just zipping it and placing it in the "picture" folder but for some reason PNG files don't show up. I've tried creating a sub-folder named "screensaver" and placing the PNG files in that folder, I see the name of the file but when I tried to open it, I get an error that states "Archieve does not contain any pictures."

Kindly assist.

Thank you so much
justwonder2 is offline   Reply With Quote