Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-22-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
bookmeal
Connoisseur
bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: benQ
Does kindle has language support?

Does kindle read Chinese?
bookmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Yes, it supports Chinese (Traditional and Simplified), but I don't know how complete the support is.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
bookmeal
Connoisseur
bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Yes, it supports Chinese (Traditional and Simplified), but I don't know how complete the support is.
Thank you for the reply.

How complete? is either support or not support, isn't it?

By "Does kindle read Chinese" or "Does kindle support Chinese", I mean by without the need to "hack" into the system.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:18 AM   #4
tofubean
Connoisseur
tofubean is on a distinguished road

Device: K3, iPad, PW
Taken from Amazon:
To view your personal documents with non-Latin characters on your Kindle, send your file as a Microsoft Word document (DOC) attachment to your Kindle's e-mail address ("name"@free.kindle.com). The file will be converted to Kindle format and sent to your Kindle via the Wi-Fi connection and also to the e-mail address associated with your Amazon.com account at no charge. This is a way to view chinese files on kindle without hacking.

Or you can press <Home> <Search> and enter the following commands:
;debugOn <Enter>
~setLocale zh-CN <Enter>

Chinese .txt files via usb do not turn out well. Chinese titles cannot been seen in the home menu as well. The ones from @free.kindle.com will be in pinyin. The text however shows up correctly.

The best method i find is to use the font hack...
tofubean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:22 AM   #5
bookmeal
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofubean View Post
Or you can press <Home> <Search> and enter the following commands:
;debugOn <Enter>
~setLocale zh-CN <Enter>
um? what's this?

Quote:
Chinese .txt files via usb do not turn out well. Chinese titles cannot been seen in the home menu as well. The ones from @free.kindle.com will be in pinyin. The text however shows up correctly.

The best method i find is to use the font hack...
....so file name in the device will appear in pinyin?
I guess it's not that kindle truly support Chinese fonts, they just sort of "graphic-ize" the word file (Chinese ebook) ???

Does hacking affect the warranty?

What is the warranty of kindle? how long? one year? two year? how is the repair fee ?

How durable is the device ? (and esp the screen)
Advert
Old 09-23-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
tofubean
Connoisseur

Nevermind about the debug method as it's old and probably outdated now. You can just change the encoding of the txt or file to utf-8 and you should be able to read it on the kindle. The font used is a little faint though. I had a hard time reading chinese texts with the default font but that's just my preference. Without using any hack, you're able to read chinese texts and files.

Well, you can uninstall the hack but to be safe you can choose not to do it. Warranty's for a year. Kindle's screen is quite fragile... any hard knocks on the screen may cause lines to appear on it, so a cover is definitely needed.

I had been using mine for nearly a year without problems. Only recently i noticed a black line blocking some words near the bottom of my screen and i got it replaced. Screen's definitely the fragile part.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #7
bookmeal
Connoisseur

Quote:
Nevermind about the debug method as it's old and probably outdated now. You can just change the encoding of the txt or file to utf-8 and you should be able to read it on the kindle. The font used is a little faint though. I had a hard time reading chinese texts with the default font but that's just my preference. Without using any hack, you're able to read chinese texts and files.

Well, you can uninstall the hack but to be safe you can choose not to do it. Warranty's for a year. Kindle's screen is quite fragile... any hard knocks on the screen may cause lines to appear on it, so a cover is definitely needed.

I had been using mine for nearly a year without problems. Only recently i noticed a black line blocking some words near the bottom of my screen and i got it replaced. Screen's definitely the fragile part.
font is a little faint.....? ....like a bit a double shawdowed look...?

So if I make those txt files into utf-8 code, then I don't need to send those files to "name"@free.kindle.com ?
But the file name will still appear to be pinyin in the eReader?

Protecting the screen....a cover bag (esp. for eReader), it's that enough?

...I can put those plastic transparent screen protector on the screen (like how one protect their ipad / table).....is that enough protection? otherwise i am not sure how to protect it... (but I have touchscreen of the device won't work if you put a screen protector on it.

Can you re-new the warranty, I mean buy another year of warranty or sth?
Old 09-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #8
tofubean
Connoisseur

This is an example of how the chinese word will look like on the menu screen with no hacks.

Those squares will appear if you view simplified chinese. Traditional chinese texts have no such problem.

This is taken from a post in (http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthre...extra=page%3D1). Do look there if you want a more detailed account of how the k3 will handle chinese texts.

No amount of screen protector will protect a screen from hard knocks...