Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #106
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Umm, they would if their cars drove more or less the same as a Toyota, and they only differentiate themselves on things like styling, fancy sound system, etc.
But the Sony doesn't drive like a Kindle either.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #107
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
The funny thing is, most of the people who seem to think that Sony needs to compete on price, don't own a Sony.

So is this that they REALLY want a Sony, but don't want to pay the price? Probably also want a higher line car also, but can't afford or don't want to pay the price. And many other items also.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #108
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
The funny thing is, most of the people who seem to think that Sony needs to compete on price, don't own a Sony.

So is this that they REALLY want a Sony, but don't want to pay the price? Probably also want a higher line car also, but can't afford or don't want to pay the price. And many other items also.
Had a 350 and it was nothing special compared to my KSO. They both read books. In the end, the Kindle is actually the better of the two devices, because it can play audiobooks and the Sony can't.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #109
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Had a 350 and it was nothing special compared to my KSO. They both read books. In the end, the Kindle is actually the better of the two devices, because it can play audiobooks and the Sony can't.
Sonys can play mp3 files, can't they? Or do you mean something else?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:01 PM   #110
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Sonys can play mp3 files, can't they? Or do you mean something else?
The 350 doesn't have an audio player. The other two do (650 & 950).
Advert
Old 09-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #111
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Ah, I see. I only have a 650 myself and wasn't aware the 350 didn't have the audio player.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #112
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
505 does.

It's still my favorite for outdoor reading. (indoor is my Xoom).
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #113
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
505 does.

It's still my favorite for outdoor reading. (indoor is my Xoom).
I want a touch screen with an audio player, so the T1 is on my short list. In no hurry, so I'm waiting to see what Amazon does.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:17 PM   #114
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
So is this that they REALLY want a Sony, but don't want to pay the price?
Or maybe they are simply weighing the Sony value proposition dispasionately and finding it wanting? Maybe they notice that other brands now have comparable readers, with better ebookstores, and outsell Sony's metal case "quality" at ratios like 4 to 1 and even 10 to 1.

Now, maybe Sony is happy with a 4% global market share. But if they are, they shouldn't expect to be taken as seriously as other products that people actually buy in volume. The thing about competitive marketplaces is that chest-thumping and grandiose proclamations only matter to the extent that they are backed up with sales. Apple hype can be annoying, but love'em or hate'em, their stuff sells. Sony in recent times has the hype but not the sales needed to back up the posturing. And it's not just ebook readers, the entire company has been bleeding to the tune of US$3B per year for several years.

One more time: whatever we may think round these parts doesn't matter; what matters is what Sony does and the results they get. Last year they said they wouldn't compete on price and backed it up by shipping products that were priced 33% and more above the competiton. The result was 25% less sales worldwide.

This year, they dropped the entire "quality" line and are now shipping a product much like their epub competitors', priced much like theirs. That is not up for debate. Same size, same screen, same touch sensor tech, same drm...
Compared to last year's "quality" line, the biggest most notable positive change is the price drop.
*Some* might say that is the very definition of competing on price, but at this point it's all just semantics.

And the issue at stake isn't semantics, but sales.
If the T1 sells in volume, which it should, then Sony will still matter; they'll be a player.
If, for some reason, it still doesn't....

Well, that's a whole other topic.

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-05-2011 at 12:21 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #115
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Ah, I see. I only have a 650 myself and wasn't aware the 350 didn't have the audio player.
It's a shame, because the 350 is a good reader. I was disappointed that B&N removed the audio player from the Nook.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #116
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
It's a shame, because the 350 is a good reader. I was disappointed that B&N removed the audio player from the Nook.
I was disappointed too that B&N eliminated audio on the Nook Touch. I am glad that Sony kept it with the T1 model.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #117
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibahbuzemann View Post
Sorry that's €149 including all taxes and delivery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
For the T1. The Kindle 3, which was also mentioned in the post I quoted, is €139.

Regardless of T1 or K3, you're still paying 19% VAT that is already figured into that price, where as the US price DOES NOT include tax. In the US, advertised prices generally never include tax, since it can vary so much depending on where you buy it. The reason for this is individual towns, counties, and states can have their own additional taxes. For instance, say I buy a case for my reader from Walmart for $20 plus tax in Chesterfield, Missouri, and my girlfriend buys the same one from a Walmart in O'Fallon, Missouri that is about 10 miles away in another county. We'll probably be paying two different amounts of tax, O'Fallon and Chesterfield have different tax rates, plus the counties have different tax rates as well. The final price could be a couple dollars different, due to the tax rates.
I meant, sorry, 149 'cause of a possible typo.

And, yah, you used to be able to cross the border to New Hampshire to avoid paying sales tax. I remember THAT about US sales tax, but what I'd LIKE to know:

Is it still possible to purchase a product online at an out-of-state retailer at the listed price, thus avoiding paying sales tax at all. There are plenty of stores offering free shipping.

I'm a bit vague about this, but there are efforts to bar this loophole. I seem to remember a so called "Amazon bill" introduced into California legislature.
bibahbuzemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #118
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
z

Or maybe they are simply weighing the Sony value proposition dispasionately and finding it wanting? Maybe they notice that other brands now have comparable readers, with better ebookstores, and outsell Sony's metal case "quality" at ratios like 4 to 1 and even 10 to 1.

Now, maybe Sony is happy with a 4% global market share.
A conspicuous case of US navel gazing here, perhaps? Many of these supposedly fabulous competing brands simply do not exist beyond US borders. To make wild assumptions about the global market based on the US alone seems a tad misleading.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #119
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
I guess it's a matter of taste. When I had a my nook classic (which I know is different from the Kindle in terms of just about everything), I still wanted a Sony but didn't get one because of the price. I think the x50 really is a class above other e-readers because of the design and the intuitiveness of the device.

Now could my classic nook do most things that my 350 can? Yep. It can read e-books from the library and ePub stores. It has a dictionary function. It has a note taking function. However, I just think these things are done so much better on the Sony.

Plus, I really love the metal case of the Sony.

I guess it's like comparing a Toyota and a Cadillac. Having driven both, I can say that they both perform the same function (getting you from point A to point B more quickly than walking or riding a bike) but driving the Cadillac is just a different experience. It rides more smoothly and more easily than a Toyota.

Now for some people (like my husband), he doesn't really care in the end because a car is just a car (like an e-reader is just an e-reader). The quality of the Cadillac wouldn't really justify the price difference. However, for others the difference in quality means a lot.

I actually think Sony is a sacrificing the quality of their e-readers to make them more competitive against the nook and the Kindle and I don't think that's a good thing.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:08 AM   #120
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
I guess it's a matter of taste. When I had a my nook classic (which I know is different from the Kindle in terms of just about everything), I still wanted a Sony but didn't get one because of the price. I think the x50 really is a class above other e-readers because of the design and the intuitiveness of the device.
It's definitely a matter of taste.

For me, the killer feature of the new Sony is wireless library lending. Couple that with an audio player and a reasonable price, and this reader is the first one to make my short list for a touch screen reader. The only other possible candidate would be an entry from Amazon.