Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
errtu
errtu began at the beginning.

Device: none
Good reader for Manga

What I'm looking for is a manga reader. I know about the boox m90/m90s and pocketbook 902. They are awesome, but pretty expensive. Also, I've seen some vids of the m90 and it seems sluggish and slow to open files and all that. Though I love both for their format support.

What would be a good alternative?

I wouldnt mind going for a smaller device (6"-7" or 9.7"+) as long as I would have GOOD zooming and panning, cause those chinese characters can get pretty hard to read sometimes when they are too small.

And format, I would be using pdf or cbr/cbz or jpeg or whatever means is easier in the device X to read the manga.

Thankx
errtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
Pato
Pato began at the beginning.

Device: PSP, Jwin 700
This topic has been discussed here quite a few times. But still I never feel tired to read or reply since I have been in the thread starter shoes before.

My advice is, if you tight on budget,get an ipad 64gb wifi 1st gen. It's perfect for reading comic and manga. If that's all you need.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not apple fanboy. I've used and tested other readers such as kindle, hanvon, jointech reader, galaxy tab and other androids and even psp and my smartphones but nothing beat the ipad in term of comic and manga reading. Use the Bookman application. It has two versions, Lite [free] and paid [$1.99]. With the paid version, you can created folder or library for each title and set password, so nobody can open or mess with it. It can read, cbr, rar, zip, pdf, etc with no trouble at all. There are about 30gb cbr files inside my Ipad so far, and it never lags or whatsoever.

Good luck!
Pato is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132953
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
vans
Zealot
vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Elonix 621eb, Asus Transformer, Sony PRS505
I don't read much manga, but I have an Android 10" tablet (Advent Vega) and there are a number of free manga apps downloadable from the Android Market. Manga does look good on a 10" colour screen.

However, the screen on the Advent Vega is not the best so I would not recommend it for general eBook reading.
vans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
errtu

yeah man, I know it has been discussed a lot. i read the threads but most of them talk about old devices.

Also , I was going for an eInk device. I know about the iOS/android apps and all...

i know ipad is like perfect except it ain't eInk, so I guess something that doesn't lag like the ipad with eInk...? is the m90 that?

Last edited by errtu; 07-31-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Advert
Old 07-31-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
They really are the best choice. I honestly wouldn't recommend an eInk device for this purpose.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:59 PM   #7
errtu

mmm

Last edited by errtu; 07-31-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:58 PM   #8
errtu

actually, dont want an ipad. anyone else?
Old 08-02-2011, 01:58 AM   #9
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Lag is part of the nature of e-ink. E-ink doesn't have a fast refresh rate, and that's why the zooming and panning is slow compared to LCD screens. All 9.7" e-ink screens are the same screen used in different devices, which is why there isn't that much difference between them.

I have an Kindle 3, and personally, I wouldn't recommend using it to read manga in Japanese because it is too small.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:57 AM   #10
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by errtu View Post
actually, dont want an ipad. anyone else?
Anyone else, what? Want an iPad? Sure, I'd love one!
The truth is that if you want to read manga then you should be reading on a tablet-not necessarily an iPad. I've tried with my 6" Sony and it really is just too small.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:39 AM   #11
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
The higher resolution display on the iriver Story HD might be nice for manga. Also, it uses a standard SD card for additional storage. Plus, it's only $139.

Listing:

http://www.amazon.com/iriver-Story-D...2288708&sr=8-1

Review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLe2oYZ-Ny8

Last edited by Noah98; 08-02-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote