Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
x43x
x43x can teach chickens to fly.x43x can teach chickens to fly.x43x can teach chickens to fly.x43x can teach chickens to fly.x43x can teach chickens to fly.x43x can teach chickens to fly.x43x can teach chickens to fly.x43x can teach chickens to fly.x43x can teach chickens to fly.x43x can teach chickens to fly.x43x can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Sony PRS-950
New 950 Owner! And another case question...

I was in the market for an eReader and couldn't decide between the Kindle 3 and the Sony PRS-650. When I decided on the Sony, I quickly found that they are pretty non-existent in the wild, unless you want to pay a lot more on eBay or Amazon. I called the local Sony Style store and was told that there was a problem with the company that makes the E-Ink which effected the Sony stock and some of the Kindles as well (not sure if that is even remotely true).

So while I was checking out the Sony Store online for the 50th time, the 650 stock changed from Out of Stock to In Stock and shipping tomorrow before my eyes. I quickly added it my cart and tried to purchase it, but got an error that it was in fact, Out of Stock. Boo. Called the Sony Store and the rep saw the same thing, even trying to add it to my cart to no avail. Because of the inconvenience, he offered to sell me the 950 for $250+Free 3 day shipping. I asked if he could match the 650 price since that was what I wanted, and he did one better, beating the 650 price. So, I got the PRS-950 for $227+tax, direct from Sony. Got my shipping confirmation and Fed Ex will be delivering it on Saturday.

Searching for a case I was once again annoyed to find that cases for the 950 are few and far between. Even harder is finding one that isn't real leather. I've looked at several that have been mentioned on these forums and there are a few decent options, mostly made for the Kindle, but all seem to be leather. Does anyone know if the "leather" on some of them is synthetic? The prices seem to be pretty cheap on a few to be real leather, but the company descriptions aren't too forthcoming.
x43x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
Brian M
Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: PRS-950
I'm right there with you (though bought my PRS-950 off Craigslist, NIB), also frustrated with the case/cover options. I live in a city and have visited 6 different stores looking for a cover that I like. 3 of those had ZERO options, for ANY ereader, 1 had Kindle 3 only, and the other 2 had the same option that I didn't care for. But I'll tell you that the Nook covers fit rather well (as is mentioned throughout the forums). The one that is available for the 950 is from Electronic Bookarmor. I HATE the design, but others like it (I desire something Far more streamlined) ~ it's worth looking at, it's neoprene and a Cover, not a sleeve.

I'm going to end up making my own cover to get the desired features/fit, I can just tell.

Best of luck on your search! And hope you enjoy the 950 (I'm 400 pages into a book in 2 days, , no real complaints yet)
Brian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 11:03 PM   #3
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Very nice! You'll love it. Depending on what you're looking for in a non-leather cover you might find something on etsy.com. People sell a wide variety of covers and sleeves there. For example, this person does covers made out of old books, but most of the choices seem to be standard cloth or knit. Other than that, I'm afraid haven't run into any non-leather covers.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:55 PM   #4
x43x
x43x can teach chickens to fly.x43x can teach chickens to fly.x43x can teach chickens to fly.x43x can teach chickens to fly.x43x can teach chickens to fly.x43x can teach chickens to fly.x43x can teach chickens to fly.x43x can teach chickens to fly.x43x can teach chickens to fly.x43x can teach chickens to fly.x43x can teach chickens to fly.

I've found a few options...I think.

I've been looking at the M-Edge Platform and Executive covers. Unfortunately they don't have Sony 950 specific covers. The versions for the Kindle 2 were made with real leather and would fit the 950 better, but the new covers for the Kindle 3 are made with synthetic leather. The top straps are stretchy which should accommodate the extra .4" of the Sony. For the width, I think I could cram it in without too much trouble.

There are a couple options on ebay too, and are listed as Faux Leather in the description.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:25 AM   #5
x43x

Searching these forums a little more I found a response from someone that the M-Edge Platform for Kindle 2 fits the 950 almost perfectly. I found a synthetic version in red on Amazon for $20 so I ordered it up.
Advert
Old 03-09-2011, 07:58 AM   #6
jplain
jplain began at the beginning.

Device: none
As long as you don't mind it being shiny, this one is not real leather: BoxWave Ruby Patent Leather Vertical Flip Kindle2 Case.
jplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
Parx
Parx began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950; Nook; and iPad.
Book Armor also puts out a very protective case for the 950. I picked it up due to the lack of available options on the market. In fact, I heard about it from this site.

Last edited by Parx; 03-11-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Parx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:36 AM   #8
theomeier
theomeier began at the beginning.

In Europe (in the US it has been sold out) the bookarmor case for the sony PRS-950 has not been available. However according to Omniscience/Extremejet the Kindle 2 model case (but not the Nook model) fits the PRS-950. At Amazon UK one piece is still available at the moment.
theomeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:58 AM   #9
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
I called Omniscience (USA location) yesterday and they did not know when their cases would be back in stock. However, they COULD get a Delta 6 case for the 950 for me if I wanted. Perhaps they do have some.

It is worth a call for those interested. I already have the BookArmor case for the 950 and enjoy it greatly.

http://www.extremeinkjet.com/BookArm...okarmor950.htm

Omniscience Inc
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
USA 33317-1222
Phone:954-584-2949
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #10
x43x

I've had the 950 for almost a week now and I love it. A coworker has a Kindle and I'm glad I went with the Sony. Even more glad I got a deal on the 950 and didn't wait for the 650s to get back in stock. The 7" screen is the perfect size. I also received the Kindle 2 Platform Cover from M-Edge(synthetic red). The 950 fits like a glove and is very secure. They still have a few leather versions left on clearance.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #11
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
If your not in a hurry Otterbox is releasing a nice protective case, I have one for my iphone and love it. the only issue is no light but that is an easy fix.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #12
raac
Zealot
raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

x43x, that looks like a nice cover. Let me get this straight, though. It's a Kindle 2 cover that happens to fit the PRS950? Is it stable within the cover? The straps hold it in ok, do they?
raac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by raac View Post
x43x, that looks like a nice cover. Let me get this straight, though. It's a Kindle 2 cover that happens to fit the PRS950? Is it stable within the cover? The straps hold it in ok, do they?
There are quite a few of us who are using K2 covers with our 950's. I am using the Oberon K2 cover with a similar corner strap style, and it fits very well. Some others are also using M-edge Nook e-ink covers. They are similar enough in size that some (but not all) covers made for other ereaders will work with the 950. Search the forum, and you can find various recommendations from people. The main issue is to make sure that whatever case you pick doesn't interfere with operation of the 950 buttons/switches.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #14
raac
Zealot
raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, I'll do that. A cover I just bought in BestBuy didn't work out, but I returned it so that's ok. May well go for that shown above.

One thing I'm wondering: are there any covers that mimic the way that PRS900 cover worked? I'm think low form-factor and magnets.

Thanks!
raac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:18 PM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by raac View Post
Thanks, I'll do that. A cover I just bought in BestBuy didn't work out, but I returned it so that's ok. May well go for that shown above.

One thing I'm wondering: are there any covers that mimic the way that PRS900 cover worked? I'm think low form-factor and magnets.

Thanks!
Sony was selling 950 covers like you are looking for but inexplicably discontinued them. I don't know of any similar designs.

Here are some thread links you might read through for other suggestions.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=108740
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=107127
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote