Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
Luiz Braga
Luiz Braga began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question RTF files with graphics and figures

I'm looking for help in converting RTF files, wich have geometric graphics embeded, to mobi. When I convert it using Calibre the text was converted very well, but the figures are gone. I try to convert RTF to epub with same results. And I try convert RTF to HTML in Word to next convert HTML to Mobi in Calibre, but HTML have the figures mixed up with text. Any help?
Luiz Braga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Mixed text and graphics are always problematical. They nearly require significant help from a stylesheet to display sensibly. If you cannot get the rtf file into a HTML format that displays well, then I think it is unlikely that Calibre will be able to a good conversion to epub or mobi (as under the covers these are both html based formats).

That is not a lot of help I am afraid, other than pointing out that concentrating on getting good HTML is likely to be the best way forward.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
You could try the Atlantis Word Processor, load the rtf, save as special-epub.
That might be able to produce better results, which you can then tweak in Sigil
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #4
Luiz Braga
Luiz Braga began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question New try

Thanks for help. I tried covert RTF to HTML in Word but it misses the graphics. Also with Atlantis Word Processor that even can't see the graphics when open RTF file. Now I will try to find a good RTF to HTML converter.
Luiz Braga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
OpenOffice is another program you could try - it can output html and also has an epub output plugin. However it sounds like there is something non-standard about these graphics, so it may be that nothing will convert them.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiz Braga View Post
Thanks for help. I tried covert RTF to HTML in Word but it misses the graphics. Also with Atlantis Word Processor that even can't see the graphics when open RTF file. Now I will try to find a good RTF to HTML converter.
Word is as good as it gets for RTF to html.

My ignorance knows no bounds so if the following is off the wall ignore it. Do the graphics actually exist on your local machine? Is it possible for RTF to show a link embedded graphic that is pulled as needed from the web? If this is the case the graphic needs to be local to your machine.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:32 AM   #7
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

If I remember correctly, there's some formats of graphics that calibre doesn't convert well.
(I think it may have been *.emf or *wmf)

Does anyone else know for sure?
Old 03-08-2011, 06:53 AM   #8
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkin View Post
If I remember correctly, there's some formats of graphics that calibre doesn't convert well.
(I think it may have been *.emf or *wmf)

Does anyone else know for sure?
WMF images had issues in the past. Kovid fixed all open issues regarding WMF images in RTF input. Also, if there is an issue with a WMF image the conversion log will say so ("Failed to convert WMF image...").
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:07 AM   #9
Perkin
Guru

Ahh, don't mind me then.