Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-02-2011, 02:21 AM   #1
kdwosk
kdwosk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3g
CSS/Settings to replicate Amazon Kindle store book format?

I also posted this in the Kindle sub-forum, but I think this is a more appropriate place

I have a Kindle 3 wifi only. I am new to the Kindle and Calibre. My goal is to have Calibre convert ePub formatted books to MOBI in the exact format that books are in on the Amazon store. I used the CSS settings that were given in this thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40359

.calibre1 {
margin-left: 0pt;
}
.calibre2 {
}
.calibre3 {
}
.calibre4 {
}
.calibre5 {
}
.calibre6 {
}
.calibre7 {
}

and it fixed the margin issues that I was originally having. The other issue that I am still having is that the paragraph indents are too indented. This is the only other issue that I have come across so far.

Does anyone know or have CSS override code or another method that would allow for the the exact same look and feel as books from the Kindle store ?

Also, would another program better meet my needs?
kdwosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:42 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
You don't need to use those CSS settings anymore - go to Mobi input in the conversion settings and configure Calibre to ignore margins.

Regarding indent, that can vary slightly per book, there have been lots of threads on indents between Calibre and Sigil's forums the last few weeks. Search for other options, but a simple thing you can try in extra css would be this:
p {text-indent:3%}

Change 3% to whatever suits your taste.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2011, 06:25 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
You don't need to use those CSS settings anymore - go to Mobi input in the conversion settings and configure Calibre to ignore margins.
Actually the setting ignore margins is in the Mobi Output area.

What is fascinating to me is the fact that the thread the OP linked to specifically corrects the poster of the extra css and mentions the ignore margins feature. Maybe the OP was searching for an older thread where this info first surfaced before the ignore margins option existed.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
kdwosk
kdwosk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3g
Thank you for the quick reply.

The extra CSS p {text-indent:3%} does not change the indents at all upon conversion, regardless of the number before the % . Any other suggestions?

Another quick question. What if the format that I want to alter is already a MOBI file format? Would I just convert the file to mobi, again?

Last edited by kdwosk; 03-02-2011 at 09:53 PM.
kdwosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
That means your <p> tags probably have some other style, applied, or that your document uses <div> tags instead of <p> tags - you would need to enable debug and look at your html output in the debug directory to figure out what to do.

If it's some other style you could do this once you know the style name:
p.stylename {text-indent:3%}

You could also try em instead of percent, not sure if it makes a difference for mobi output:
p {text-indent:1.5em}

Regarding your other question, yes, just convert from mobi to mobi again. However many users convert from mobi to epub - edit the book to meet their liking using Sigil, then convert the epub back to mobi.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert