Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
UChicago Free Press - Loving Little Egypt [PDF FORMAT]

Thomas McMahon
Loving Little Egypt
A Novel
280 pages, 5-1/4 x 8 © 1987
Series: Phoenix Fiction
ISBN: 9780226561134
Paper $18.00
ISBN: 9780226561097 Published October 2003

“McMahon is so much less well known than he deserves to be. His later novels, increasingly wry and exaggerated, bear a family resemblance to those of Kurt Vonnegut and to certain of Saul Bellow’s works. Yet there is an underlying sweetness to McMahon’s writing, a wholehearted engagement with those elements of scientific wonder that most resemble artistic creativity.”—Bookforum
“A slam-bang adventure tale.… As the novel delights in its own power to make the grim amusing and the dour delightful, it leaks its own positiveness onto the reader, lighting the air around him.”—Chicago Tribune

UChicago Free Press

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-04-2010 at 06:51 AM.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Just FYI - this is a PDF.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I personally don't understand all the disgruntledness around here with respect to the different formats.

All the formats work fine for me on my 505. Some better than others, of course, but all in all, just fine.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Not everyone likes PDF. I don't and wouldn't have bothered downloading it if I'd known. I was just offering the information for others who might care.

I wasn't disparaging your choice. I was just offering information to allow others to make a more informed choice of their own.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
aw I'm not against various file formats Peter ... just PDF.

I do thank you for posting the book but personally I've struggled so much with trying to get PDF files converted or to display nicely on my machines that I've just given up on them unless it is a book that I desperately want and I have no other option.

Keep posting though. We all know how to delete a file that doesn't work out for us.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
PDF generally comes out to small to read on my various ereaders. It's ok the the DX, but these are always ADE-DRM'd, so not compatible. They are readable on the iPad, though.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:27 AM   #7
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Thank you! I heard about this book a few months ago and wanted to check it out. I don't like pdf either but at least I can read a few pages and decide if the book is worth buying in paper version.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:37 AM   #8
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh. Well, some more information for you guys: it's not just a pdf, it's a pdf WITH ADOBE DRM. Which I am not set up to clean up, and frankly I don't think it's worth the trouble. I know it didn't cost me anything except a few seconds of my time (well, and the fact that one more company now has my e-mail address), but it's still extremely annoying.

Sorry Pete, I know you meant well, but really it's better to say these things from the start, especially since an email address is required to download the book. No big deal, but annoying as I said.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:30 AM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Yeah. I downloaded it yesterday when I received newsletter then deleted it at once. DRM - rubbish bin.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:24 AM   #10
petercreasey
Wizard

I easily downloaded the book using Adobe Digital Editions and placed it on my 505. Beyond that, I can't comment.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #11
tench
Connoisseur
tench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toys

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hmm. This is the same format (and DRM) that all the free UChicago books come in. This has been the case for months at least. Why does the same conversation about format/drm seem to happen every time?

Thanks Peter!
tench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #12
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tench View Post
Hmm. This is the same format (and DRM) that all the free UChicago books come in. This has been the case for months at least. Why does the same conversation about format/drm seem to happen every time?

Thanks Peter!
I was not aware about UChicago until this topic. I was offered a free ebook. I read this email at work. I decided to do what I usually do: download the ebook, copy it to my USB stick, have a look at it at home and probably move it to my archive if I decide it is worth keeping and reading in future. However, I could not do it anymore. DRM has interfered. It has disrupted MY routine. I have lost control of what I can&cannot do with a file. Thus the file went to the recycling bin.

Last edited by astra; 10-02-2010 at 12:23 PM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #13
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by tench View Post

Thanks Peter!
It wouldn't have to if the fact was clearly stated in the thread.

I'm not much interested in freebies, coupons and that kind of stuff. I found this thread by chance and only clicked on the link because I was interested in this particular book. Of course, a drm'ed file in a clunky format is better than nothing at all and I'm sure it can be useful to some, but it's rather frustrating to find this out after getting all excited about a deal. Hence the grumbling.

If I had know from the start what to expect, I wouldn't have complained and might even have downloaded the book anyway and be satisfied. Silly maybe, but that's human nature
Old 10-04-2010, 06:52 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
PDF format duly noted.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote