Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Regret Buying Your Kindle Now that Newer/Cheaper One is Here?

Ran into this hilarious post that addresses the problem of regret for buying the Kindle too soon, now that Amazon/BN has dropped their prices and introduced newer technology

http://ireaderreview.com/2010/07/05/...kindle-regret/

LOL

The advice is sound: Just don't buy any Kindle, ever! No risk whatsoever.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Seriously.. If you're worried about price drops on electronic equipment, just wait until it hits $0 and then you'll be safe...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:08 AM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Seriously.. If you're worried about price drops on electronic equipment, just wait until it hits $0 and then you'll be safe...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:23 AM   #4
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Remember not to factor in the value and pleasure of owning a Kindle.

Lots of people will point out that you’ll derive a lot of pleasure from owning a Kindle. Please don’t be side-tracked by this advice.

There are people who focus on pleasure and getting enjoyment out of life and there are people who focus on minimizing regret and avoiding pain. If you’re worried about regretting a Kindle purchase because a newer or cheaper Kindle might arrive then there’s a very high chance you are pain-avoiding and the advice of pleasure-seeking readers is of little value to you.
This is as true as it is funny!
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:29 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I've given up on having regrets for buying something and finding out a few months later it has been reduced in price/improved. If I had regrets, I'd not buy anything anymore! (hmm, my husband would like that )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:48 AM   #6
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I've given up on having regrets for buying something and finding out a few months later it has been reduced in price/improved. If I had regrets, I'd not buy anything anymore! (hmm, my husband would like that )
(including husband quote)
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:58 AM   #7
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I don't regret buying my Kindle it's been tremendously useful. If people stop buying what's already out and wait for future improvements there would be slower development from the manufacturers.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:08 AM   #8
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire 2015, Kindle Paperwhite
I bought my Kindle2 last week, after the price reduction: 31 days have not passed yet, so maybe I'm not entitled to comment, but I'm very happy with it, so happy that I regret not buying it months ago, even at a higher price !
Wordcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:40 AM   #9
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
If you want the latest technology and lowest prices, you'll wait forever .... unless you buy a used buggy whip. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:50 AM   #10
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
If you want the latest technology and lowest prices, you'll wait forever .... unless you buy a used buggy whip. Cheers. Neil
So true. The older technologies are dumped on the market to make way for the newer technologies. When the "new Kindle" comes out, it will probable be a bit higher....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:23 AM   #11
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
I absolutely do NOT regret buying my Kindle in January 2010. I love it and would hate to have missed enjoying it all this time, even to save $70.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:32 AM   #12
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
And sometimes, new technology might not be best technology. I bought a Sony PRS-505 about eighteen months ago and then kicked myself when the Sony 700 came to Europe with its touch screen, built in sidelight and other bells and whistles. Of course, the 700 turned out to be a general disaster and was out of production almost as soon as it was in it. Now, folks are still desperately trying to get hold of the good ol' 505 it was meant to replace. Progress is relative. Hoots. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #13
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
It's never wrong to buy something you need right now if you are going to get immediate value from it.

I can hardly imagine anyone who is willing to not buy a laptop for fear that a better one may come out the next month.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:36 PM   #14
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
The way I look at it: If this thing (whether it's an ebook reader, a computer program, or just about anything else) did what I wanted it to when I bought it, and if I found its price:utility ratio sufficient at the time, why get stressed out because there's something better available now? It was good enough to buy back then -- so unless it's quit working in the interim, it's still good enough. If I pay $200 for something, it's because whatever it's doing (displaying ebooks, in this case) is worth $200 to me. If having ebooks displayed to me, along with whatever other features the device has, is worth $200, then no matter what happens, I just remind myself of my original purchase decision and, usually, I'm satisfied. That happened with my netbook, by the way. It's an EeePC 901, and they dropped the price by $100 about six weeks after I bought mine. Okay, so it was cheaper ... but I thought my lil' kneetop was a good deal at the price I bought it at. So I was (and am) still happy with it; no buyer's remorse. Now, ASUS essentially dropping support for Linux, that ticks me off, but that's a different matter. (and yes, I'm gonna put Eeebuntu on it once my life is done whirling around)

I, too, have a Sony 505. When I got it, I picked it because it did exactly what I want, and it did it the way I want it done. So Sony makes newer, fancier, more feature-filled devices now ... and? My 505 still does exactly what I want, and it does it exactly the way I want it done. I am no less happy with it because there might be something else (though if there is, not from any of the "big 3" vendors) that does it better.

The only exception is when I get something which is the best of several not-so-good choices. That's a surefire remorse generator. Looking at buying decisions this way has made me less likely to get something like that, and more likely to wait until one that fits my specs completely becomes available.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #15
fishface
Connoisseur
fishface is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Great story, very funny.

Fact is, it's true that it does take a year or two for very new popular tech to stabilize in price though, through the introduction of a sufficient number of competing products.

One thing that's worth noting is that E-Ink corp is still making the screens of every popular e-reader out there; once the other e-paper makers field their wares it might help bump the prices lower again.
fishface is offline   Reply With Quote