Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-20-2007, 11:57 PM   #1
alreds
alreds began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505LC, iPad2, iPhone5, Kindle KB, Kindle PW, Kindle Fire
Hello - Set to get a Reader (?)

Hello fellow readers, and thank you for enabling me to be part of this community!

I was all set and planning to get the Sony Reader PRS-500, however I just noticed that a new model is being introduced, and that other makes with similar features are also available or will be coming soon. Although I"m in a situation that I can't wait to get a portable reader I guess I'd be better off to wait for the time being. What'd you suggest? and what's your opinion of what portable reader would be the best to get? I'd appreciate your response.
Thans,
Al Reds
alreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:26 AM   #2
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
If I was going to buy a reader now I'd wait for the new slew of ebook readers to hit the market and compare. I bought a Sony Reader a while back and I'm very happy with it so I can definitely recommend it but if you can hold on a bit longer, I'd wait and see what's coming.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:29 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
If I was going to buy a reader now I'd wait for the new slew of ebook readers to hit the market and compare. I bought a Sony Reader a while back and I'm very happy with it so I can definitely recommend it but if you can hold on a bit longer, I'd wait and see what's coming.
If I was getting a reader now, I would wait and get the NEW PRS505 when it comes out (hopefully in October sometime).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:33 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Other than a new color (we think from the early ad we saw in silver) and a few button rearrangements, the new unit is not offering any improvements other than USB 2.0. If there are any stocks of the older unit still left they may be discounted to move them out and some of the current users may want to "upgrade" to the new unit and will perhaps sell their older units at a reduced price. (What is the used market price for a PRS-500?)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:02 PM   #5
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I'd also advise you to wait and see what the new Sony Reader and the Amazon Kindle will offer...they should both be pretty close to release...but of course nobody can really say how close...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:34 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
I'd also advise you to wait and see what the new Sony Reader and the Amazon Kindle will offer...they should both be pretty close to release...but of course nobody can really say how close...
If what rumors say about the Kindle is true, forget it.

The new Sony may have Vizplex and more internal memory. I'd go with that unless you are getting the PRS500 at the Credit Card price.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:09 PM   #7
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Sounds to me like the new one is the old one just souped up a little. You should buy the 500 at 58 dollars using the Sonycard deal and call it good!

Its one of the only electronic products I've EVER bought that COMPLETELY does exactly what I need it to do (Allows me to read)

I cant see how paying 400 bucks or whatever the price is going to be for the 505 is going to be worth it for a warmed over version of the 500

(Unless I'm missing something important in the new release..)
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 07:59 AM   #8
alreds
alreds began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505LC, iPad2, iPhone5, Kindle KB, Kindle PW, Kindle Fire
OK, thank you for for your replies fellow readers!
Sounds like I'd be better off waiting until the dust settles. That's what I'll probably be doing, and in the meantime, although a bit unconfortable when I'm laying down, I'll keep reading on my Thinkpad.

Al Reds
alreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:31 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
Sounds to me like the new one is the old one just souped up a little. You should buy the 500 at 58 dollars using the Sonycard deal and call it good!

Its one of the only electronic products I've EVER bought that COMPLETELY does exactly what I need it to do (Allows me to read)

I cant see how paying 400 bucks or whatever the price is going to be for the 505 is going to be worth it for a warmed over version of the 500

(Unless I'm missing something important in the new release..)
The price of the 505 is going to be $299.99.