Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Penguin unveils Ipad interactive reading experience

iPad Books Preview: Penguin Reveals New Interactive Books (Huffington Post)

Presentation by Penguin CEO John Makinson:
Quote:
"The definition of the book itself is up for grabs," he said. The .ePub format, which is the format for most eBooks, does not support this kind of interactive book, so, Makinson said, "we'll be creating a lot of our content as applications, for sale on app stores and HTML, rather than in eBooks." He introduced a bold new plan for eBooks: "We will be embedding audio, video and streaming into everything we do."
Children and adult interactive ebooks are demoed.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 03-03-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
I have to say that looks pretty neat! My daughter would love the Spot the dog interactive ebook but whether it's worth buying an ipad for is debatable but food for thought.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #3
cbone
Enthusiast
cbone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Android phone, waiting for my Kno
It's too bad that they waited around to slurp the ipad when they could have used AIR, Silverlight, or Java and got the exact same thing on any halfway decent device without losing profits to an app store.
cbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbone View Post
It's too bad that they waited around to slurp the ipad when they could have used AIR, Silverlight, or Java and got the exact same thing on any halfway decent device without losing profits to an app store.
You're going to have to share profits with any venue that carries your product whether it is the iTunes App Store, Amazon, B&N, etc.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Wow, gimmicky. Looks good for kid's books I guess.

Would be nice if they just had well-made ebooks with a navigation interface that takes advantage of the device's speed. Guess that's too radical an idea still.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #6
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
If these are just proprietary apps working only on the iPad, it's kind of silly.

So, if you change devices, you lost all your purchased titles? Worse than DRM.

It also looks fairly primitive, like something done in Flash over a decade ago, albeit with touch capabilities.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Years ago Bill gates wrote a book "The Road Ahead". It came with an interactive CD that besides the book's text had links to pictures, biographies, etc. It never caught on. This looks like a similar and better implementation of the same idea. I can see the negative posts coming but an app that then reads a publisher's titles looks like a winner to me. The Washington Post just announced a $1.99 app for reading their news content with a years subscription. With newspapers in trouble and the younger generation wanting audio, video, etc. This looks like the future.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:57 PM   #8
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
If these are just proprietary apps working only on the iPad, it's kind of silly.

It also looks fairly primitive, like something done in Flash over a decade ago, albeit with touch capabilities.
Agreed. But I just can't bring myself to believe they wouldn't make a version that would work both on theiPad and on a mouse driven computer... That would mean marketing suicide, how many of those ebooks would they sell anyway if they made it only on the iPad?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
Years ago Bill gates wrote a book "The Road Ahead". It came with an interactive CD that besides the book's text had links to pictures, biographies, etc. It never caught on. This looks like a similar and better implementation of the same idea. I can see the negative posts coming but an app that then reads a publisher's titles looks like a winner to me. The Washington Post just announced a $1.99 app for reading their news content with a years subscription. With newspapers in trouble and the younger generation wanting audio, video, etc. This looks like the future.
I'm looking forward to magazines that would work this way. Imagine a woodworking magazine with plans, good articles and video how-tos.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #10
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:

Yeah, wouldn't be good for books.

I'd be fine with it for magazines and newspapers since those are disposable in paper or electronic format.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #11
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
... how many of those ebooks would they sell anyway if they made it only on the iPad?
Tens of thousands! perhaps millions!

I know there have been lots of posts declaring the failure of the iPad for one reason or another. My personal prediction is this device is a winner. It is your entertainment, educational, library and personal secretary that can be carried with ease and connects you to a world of information.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
cbone
Enthusiast
cbone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Android phone, waiting for my Kno
Quote:
Years ago Bill gates wrote a book "The Road Ahead". It came with an interactive CD that besides the book's text had links to pictures, biographies, etc. It never caught on. This looks like a similar and better implementation of the same idea.
That was an idea ahead of it's time. The technology available at the time screwed him. The same book now could come with QR codes to slick out extra information on cell phones or anything with internet access and a camera.

Quote:
can see the negative posts coming but an app that then reads a publisher's titles looks like a winner to me. The Washington Post just announced a $1.99 app for reading their news content with a years subscription. With newspapers in trouble and the younger generation wanting audio, video, etc. This looks like the future.
Newspapers are in trouble because they can't compete by bringing yesterday's news. They compounded that by starting a stupid precedent of giving everything away on websites and then realizing that people weren't getting subscriptions. Now it's too late.

Regarding video, I think the younger generation didn't demand video, every media outlet started pimping video and audio streams/downloads when internet users increased in the AOL days as a way to differentiate themselves by their novelty/zazz factor.

I'm somewhat annoyed that everything has to be an app now. Why does it have to be an app? That immediately reduces your potential buyers and makes you beholden to another company on the hardware and software side. Why not make a broad-compatibility website and let everyone with internet access become a potential client?
cbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
The Old Man
Fanatic

Quote:
I'm somewhat annoyed that everything has to be an app now. Why does it have to be an app? That immediately reduces your potential buyers and makes you beholden to another company on the hardware and software side. Why not make a broad-compatibility website and let everyone with internet access become a potential client?
I suppose, theoretically, that is possible. But hasn't Apple created a "broad-compatibility" website that lets everyone (with an Apple device) become a potential client? The thing that strikes me about the app store is how reasonable are the apps and the content they provide. As I mentioned above, The Washington Post is charging $1.99 for a years subscription. How much content is provided remains to me seen but compare that to a years subscription to the hard copy. Fluent News (another app) charges the same for a three month subscription for news from various sources and various web sites. Again, I believe this is the future.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:05 PM   #14
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
I suppose, theoretically, that is possible. But hasn't Apple created a "broad-compatibility" website that lets everyone (with an Apple device) become a potential client? The thing that strikes me about the app store is how reasonable are the apps and the content they provide. As I mentioned above, The Washington Post is charging $1.99 for a years subscription. How much content is provided remains to me seen but compare that to a years subscription to the hard copy. Fluent News (another app) charges the same for a three month subscription for news from various sources and various web sites. Again, I believe this is the future.
Nope. A few million users "broad compatibility" do not make.

Plus, yeah, the apps on the iPhone would have to be cheap, because most users would not pay any significant amount to read a paper or a magazine on a 3" screen. I don't think publishers have the same thing in mind for the iPad.

If they wanted compatibility, they should have gone Air.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #15
The Old Man
Fanatic

Quote:
Nope. A few million users "broad compatibility" do not make.

Plus, yeah, the apps on the iPhone would have to be cheap, because most users would not pay any significant amount to read a paper or a magazine on a 3" screen. I don't think publishers have the same thing in mind for the iPad.

If they wanted compatibility, they should have gone Air.
You may be right about cost on the iPad. That remains to be seen.

I don't see what "Air" has to do with it. Not that you're wrong, I just don't get the significance.

What is broad compatibility? Major eBook marketers (publishers) now limit their compatibility to their device. What is the "broad compatibility" to the printed version of the NYT or WSJ or any other print publication? There is always going to be selective compatibility for every source. This is capitalism and the motive for profit.

A book publisher can make a version for Kindle and another for Sony. If that publisher develops an app for the iPad that provides another version of "compatibility." All of these eBook readers and "pads" will not survive and the ones that do will not necessarily be the "best" reader. It will be the one with the most market saleability or put bluntly, the most pizzaz.