Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 01-21-2017, 03:13 PM   #1
OrionChang
OrionChang began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Strange problem, Economist fetching works with my PC but not Mac.

I'm using Calibre 2.77.0 on both platforms.
The Economist recipe works perfectly fine on my PC, but doesn't work on my Mac.

I've already tried to:
disable any firewall
disable any possible proxy
upgrade openssl
upgrade python 2.7

Nothing worked.

I would be grateful for any help.

----------------------------------------------------
Python function terminated unexpectedly: <urlopen error [Errno 54] Connection reset by peer>
InputFormatPlugin: Recipe Input running
Using custom recipe
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 154, in main
return run_entry_point()
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 114, in run_entry_point
return getattr(pmod, func)()
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/ipc/worker.py", line 195, in main
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/convert/gui_conversion.py", line 26, in gui_convert
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/conversion/plumber.py", line 1064, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/conversion.py", line 245, in __call__
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/conversion/plugins/recipe_input.py", line 119, in convert
File "site-packages/calibre/web/feeds/news.py", line 1001, in download
File "site-packages/calibre/web/feeds/news.py", line 1168, in build_index
File "<string>", line 81, in parse_index
File "<string>", line 86, in economist_parse_index
File "site-packages/calibre/web/feeds/news.py", line 658, in index_to_soup
File "site-packages/mechanize/_mechanize.py", line 199, in open_novisit
File "site-packages/mechanize/_mechanize.py", line 230, in _mech_open
File "site-packages/mechanize/_opener.py", line 193, in open
File "site-packages/mechanize/_urllib2_fork.py", line 344, in _open
File "site-packages/mechanize/_urllib2_fork.py", line 332, in _call_chain
File "site-packages/mechanize/_urllib2_fork.py", line 1142, in http_open
File "site-packages/mechanize/_urllib2_fork.py", line 1118, in do_open
urllib2.URLError: <urlopen error [Errno 54] Connection reset by peer>
OrionChang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:31 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's a connection reset error which usually means that something along the network path, either a proxy/firewall or the target server actively closed the connection.

Check that calibre is not picking up any proxies by going to Preferences->Miscellaneous where it should say "No proxies used"

Other than that, I dont have any suggestions. Note that calibre comes with its own python/openssl libraries so updating system ones has no effect one way or the other.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:13 AM   #3
OrionChang
OrionChang began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That's a connection reset error which usually means that something along the network path, either a proxy/firewall or the target server actively closed the connection.

Check that calibre is not picking up any proxies by going to Preferences->Miscellaneous where it should say "No proxies used"

Other than that, I dont have any suggestions. Note that calibre comes with its own python/openssl libraries so updating system ones has no effect one way or the other.
Hi kovidgoya, thanks for your reply. It's really nice to have your help.

Miscellaneous panel does say "No proxies used". I double checked that I had disabled all firewalls and proxies.

I noticed that calibre fetches the web by importing settings and cookies from user's browser. In my case, I used both Safari and Chrome(default), which browser will it import those stuff from?

Since I successfully retrieved data by using a PC with calibre within the same LAN environment, I suppose the connection reset problem is caused by something within the Mac. Is that a way to systematically check which peer resets connections?
OrionChang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:45 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre does not import settings from browsers, only the system wide proxy settings. Unfortunately, I know of no way to be able to track down the source of connection resets -- the general problem is that once client A has sent a packet to client B, if the connection is reset there is no way for client A to know where that might have been.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote