Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-12-2017, 05:56 PM   #1
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Problems moving Calibre reader on pc

I'm wondering if it is just me. I'm having problems with moving the ebook viewer on my PC. When I click on the title area to drag the viewer to one side or the other of my screen the viewer goes to full screen.

Not sure if it is a problem with my trackball settings, windows 10 or what. Any suggestions?? It also happens with some other programs while others work ok.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:07 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
In Windows 10 (& 8?) if you drag to close to the top of the screen and release a window it will go full screen (if your cursor goes up and slightly off screen IIRC). Not sure if there's a setting to turn it off or not.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:10 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Does https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...ndows-10-a.htm help?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:17 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's the so-called Windows Snap feature,

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	154142

Why it's in Make the mouse easier to use is crap, I use it via the keyboard - WinKey+arrow keys.

But the Prevent windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen setting disables it for the mouse AND the keyboard. IMO it should only apply to the 'M O U S E', just like it says on the tin.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:29 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
In Windows 10 (& 8?) if you drag to close to the top of the screen and release a window it will go full screen (if your cursor goes up and slightly off screen IIRC). Not sure if there's a setting to turn it off or not.
It is called 'Snap' and it was one of the first things I killed

My screen, no helping
If I want FS, I will do it myself
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:53 AM   #6
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
I'm wondering if it is just me. I'm having problems with moving the ebook viewer on my PC. When I click on the title area to drag the viewer to one side or the other of my screen the viewer goes to full screen.

Not sure if it is a problem with my trackball settings, windows 10 or what. Any suggestions?? It also happens with some other programs while others work ok.
You mention a trackball. I have over the years used several Logitech trackballs M570
I really like the tracball but eventually the contacts begin to prell so a single click is often interpreted as a double click and that will make the viewer (and other windows) go full screen.

I really like the M570 so I always end up buying a new one

And I am not the only one with this problem.
look here
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:23 PM   #7
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
You mention a trackball. I have over the years used several Logitech trackballs M570
I really like the tracball but eventually the contacts begin to prell so a single click is often interpreted as a double click and that will make the viewer (and other windows) go full screen.

I really like the M570 so I always end up buying a new one

And I am not the only one with this problem.
look here
This is a possible problem. I'll have to check with this trackball on another computer. After changing the settings on windows 10 (Thanks everyone. That bugged me to no end also but I am in the middle of the screen and no where near the edge when trying to drag my ebook over a bit).

The trackball works well otherwise. It is only when trying to move windows around and usually that is the ebook viewer. I kind of wish there was a way to have calibre open the ebook viewer from one side of the screen to the other so if you open three or four books they would be kinda cascaded.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:46 PM   #8
LadyKate
Fanatic

Thanks !

I killed my trackball trying to access under the left button. I had a couple of backup trackballs and under the "button" (not a real descriptive term for it) was a lot of dust. I should have guessed it was going to die soon because the logitech symbol on the trackball has worn off lol.

The replacement trackball works as should and it's easy to move around my viewer window.

Thank you also for helping me get rid of the snap to feature. That also bugged me but I had got kinda used to avoiding the edges when moving things around. I frequently have a large number of windows open on the two monitors and move them around alot. The snap feature should be off by default! Better yet, the bleedin install for windows should give the option of setting these things.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:48 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I kind of wish there was a way to have calibre open the ebook viewer from one side of the screen to the other so if you open three or four books they would be kinda cascaded.
Try Cascade windows, or Show windows stacked, or Show windows side by side options in the Windows task bar context (right click) menu.

Views:	143
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	154157

BR
Old 01-13-2017, 05:17 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

BTW : After you use Cascade windows an extra item is added to the context menu - Undo Cascade windows

Some applications - e.g. the Microsoft Management Console components - won't cascade <sigh>

Quote:
The snap feature should be off by default!
The Snap feature was first introduced with Windows 7, where I had it disabled. It was still disabled when did the Get Win10 upgrade, and when I did the 1511 and 1607 upgrades, it was only after the 1607 upgrade I discovered the Winkey+arrows can do the snapping too - not sure if that's new in 1607.

New features are rarely disabled by default - in anything.

Quote:
Better yet, the bleedin install for windows should give the option of setting these things.
There are thousands of settings in Windows. Search alone has almost 40, and Defender over a 100. If you have Windows Pro press Winkey+R, type 'gpedit.msc' and see for yourself.

What irritates me is that I now have to use three entirely different tools to change Windows settings - Windows (10) Settings, the Control Panel, and the Local Group Policy Editor - four if I count the Registry Editor.

BR
Old 01-14-2017, 12:02 AM   #11
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
I killed my trackball trying to access under the left button. I had a couple of backup trackballs and under the "button" (not a real descriptive term for it) was a lot of dust. I should have guessed it was going to die soon because the logitech symbol on the trackball has worn off lol.

The replacement trackball works as should and it's easy to move around my viewer window.
.?...s.

Bad design. I bought 4 of those trackballs. When the first began to double click, logitech replaced it. When the next one began to fail, I read all about it and began selling the good ones. I sold 2 that still worked, sold another that I thought was ok but had to give a full refund as the buyer was not happy. I am left with one dodgy one. I fail in every attempt to dismantle it. The switches are well hidden. L still make some good mice, but lately I have bought technet ones at a quarter of logitech prices which seem just as good.
I read other trackball reviews, could not find anything without flaws.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:26 AM   #12
LadyKate
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
BTW : After you use Cascade windows an extra item is added to the context menu - Undo Cascade windows

Some applications - e.g. the Microsoft Management Console components - won't cascade <sigh>

The Snap feature was first introduced with Windows 7, where I had it disabled. It was still disabled when did the Get Win10 upgrade, and when I did the 1511 and 1607 upgrades, it was only after the 1607 upgrade I discovered the Winkey+arrows can do the snapping too - not sure if that's new in 1607.

New features are rarely disabled by default - in anything.

There are thousands of settings in Windows. Search alone has almost 40, and Defender over a 100. If you have Windows Pro press Winkey+R, type 'gpedit.msc' and see for yourself.

What irritates me is that I now have to use three entirely different tools to change Windows settings - Windows (10) Settings, the Control Panel, and the Local Group Policy Editor - four if I count the Registry Editor.

BR
While that is true that new features are rarely disabled by default, I truly believe Microsoft is failing us in not providing a concise quickstart with at least as much change info as we get for Calibre. We should have a list of what has changed. (No I do not want to go back to the days of a box of manuals for programs)

Yes I can look it up on the internet and find 30 or more sources of what has changed but I truly believe that I should be able to go to Microsoft and download a simple pdf or look at a page and see the changes from version 8.1 to version 10.

I agree with you about the four different places to change things causing problems. I was going bonkers trying to change a setting in control panel and after googling found I had to go to Windows (10) Settings.

And I still can't find a way (I don't think there is one) to keep the title bar of inactive windows from being white! I hate stark white title bars. It draws my eye there. For some reason I find it very difficult to avoid my eye going directly to the white... kind of like an irritant.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:29 AM   #13
LadyKate
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Bad design. I bought 4 of those trackballs. When the first began to double click, logitech replaced it. When the next one began to fail, I read all about it and began selling the good ones. I sold 2 that still worked, sold another that I thought was ok but had to give a full refund as the buyer was not happy. I am left with one dodgy one. I fail in every attempt to dismantle it. The switches are well hidden. L still make some good mice, but lately I have bought technet ones at a quarter of logitech prices which seem just as good.
I read other trackball reviews, could not find anything without flaws.
I can't complain. As I said, that trackball is old enough that the logitech symbol on it has been worn off. It is over two years and is possibly as old as four year. I don't remember because I have three of them. That one has survived many drops to the floor and really, even if it has gone up to $70 or so, I really don't expect anything I use as much as my trackball to last much more than a couple of years.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:10 AM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@LadyKate - I think the response would be - if you want to see more detail of changes, sign up for the Insider Program.

I defer upgrades until the Enterprise edition is released. That's my policy these days - if it's not fit for business then it's not fit for me. I upgraded to 1607 last week, I noticed some cosmetic changes here and there, and they fixed a WU bug that'd been affecting me since they broke something in November's Office Updates.

Try this registry hack ==>> [HTG] Add Color to Inactive Title Bars in Windows 10 It's also available in the WinAero Tweaker gadget. And it works (for now at least) :

Views:	193
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	154318

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-20-2017 at 02:22 AM. Reason: attachment
Old 01-27-2017, 01:28 AM   #15
LadyKate
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@LadyKate - I think the response would be - if you want to see more detail of changes, sign up for the Insider Program.

I defer upgrades until the Enterprise edition is released. That's my policy these days - if it's not fit for business then it's not fit for me. I upgraded to 1607 last week, I noticed some cosmetic changes here and there, and they fixed a WU bug that'd been affecting me since they broke something in November's Office Updates.

Try this registry hack ==>> [HTG] Add Color to Inactive Title Bars in Windows 10 It's also available in the WinAero Tweaker gadget. And it works (for now at least) :

Attachment 154318

BR
That would be their response but lol... would a concise change log be all that hard to have. Kovid's change log is easy to access, easy to understand and a heck of a lot easier to navigate than trying to find info on the microsoft site. I usually end up finding info on other sites. I remember buying windows 1.1 (when I was a tech with a govt department) and there were four manuals. All for a program that was gemlike and ran on top of dos.