Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-17-2016, 08:38 AM   #16
BKh
Zealot
BKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
you seem to have deleted the toc.html, is that right? You're aware that you'll need that at the KDP? The HTML TOC is pretty much required at Amazon now. The NCX will not suffice, as not all of the devices can use that for display purposes to the human reader. If you are not yet done, you may wish to reproduce an HTML TOC to use when you load the ePUB at the KDP or whatever process you determine to use.

Hitch
Yes, It really is confusing. I did create one. Thanks for the reminder.
BKh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:29 AM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKh View Post
Yes, It really is confusing. I did create one. Thanks for the reminder.
You bet. Glad to be of service.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:16 AM   #18
BKh
Zealot
BKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheese

So, I changed back to 2.0 by the method I proposed. These are the errors I received and how I solved them. If anyone could give an opinion on how ill advised my solutions are, that would be much appreciated. After I made these changes there were no errors detected.

All of the errors were in OEBPS/content.opf

Code:
ERROR: The "prefix" attribute is not an allowed attribute of the <package> element.
LINE: <package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" prefix="ibooks: http://vocabulary.itunes.apple.com/rdf/ibooks/vocabulary-extensions-1.0/" unique-identifier="bookid" version="2.0">
sOLUTION: DELETED prefix="ibooks: http://vocabulary.itunes.apple.com/rdf/ibooks/vocabulary-extensions-1.0/"

ERROR:  The "property" attribute is not an allowed attribute of the <meta> element.
ERROR:The required attribute "content" is missing from the <meta> element.
ERROR: The required attribute "name" is missing from the <meta> element.
LINE:     <meta property="ibooks:specified-fonts">true</meta>
sOLUTION: DELETED WHOLE LINE <meta property="ibooks:specified-fonts">true</meta>

ERROR: The "property" attribute is not an allowed attribute of the <meta> element.
ERROR: The required attribute "content" is missing from the <meta> element.
ERROR: The required attribute "name" is missing from the <meta> element.
LINE:     <meta property="dcterms:modified">2016-05-14T18:21:09Z</meta>
sOLUTION: DELETED WHOLE LINE     <meta property="dcterms:modified">2016-05-14T18:21:09Z</meta>
I also uploaded it to KDP and it was accepted.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:33 AM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There are some differences between EPUB2/3 metadata. I think a better solution would have been to look at similar metadata entries for EPUB2 and to modify yours to match. But as long as none of the entries are required, I suppose deleting them can work, too.

Does InDesign really add all of that proprietary iBooks meta stuff by default?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:37 PM   #20
BKh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
There are some differences between EPUB2/3 metadata. I think a better solution would have been to look at similar metadata entries for EPUB2 and to modify yours to match. But as long as none of the entries are required, I suppose deleting them can work, too.
I am so familiar with metadata coding that I was afraid to tinker too much. I was banking on the fact that if something was missing, the checker would tell me.

Quote:
Does InDesign really add all of that proprietary iBooks meta stuff by default?
I'm not sure how that got in there. I checked a book I created exporting as epub2 from indesign and those tags are there as well. So That is probably how they got there.

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2017, 08:43 AM   #21
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
I had a great deal of trouble converting epub3 back to epub2. Following previous instructions on this forum I converted the epub to .zip and then edited the .opf file to change the package back to version 2.

But then I couldn't work out how to get my new .opf file back into the zip file so I could then change the extension back to .epub.

I finally succeeded without doing any zipping and editing by converting the epub3 to .azw in Calibre. Then using Calibre again I converted it to epub and low and behold discovered it was now epub2

Last edited by Moonraker; 05-15-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:30 AM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
But then I couldn't work out how to get my new .opf file back into the zip file so I could then change the extension back to .epub.
You unzip, edit the opf, and then rezip everything (new opf included) into a new archive.

Or you use an archiving utility that allows you to edit files without unzipping them first (actually many just unzip stuff to a temp location and rezip things behind the scenes when you're done editing them, but the effect is the same--except the mimetype file will be compressed and possibly out of order, but Sigil will fix that when opening/saving).

A calibre conversion is another option for sure. But many want to keep the original code as unaltered as possible when downgrading from 3 to 2.

I myself, don't bother downgrading. I've yet to run into a commercially sold epub3 that didn't render acceptably in most popular epub2 reading systems. And if it's a "feature-rich" epub3, downgrading it will break its functionality anyway.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:08 PM   #23
BKh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I myself, don't bother downgrading. I've yet to run into a commercially sold epub3 that didn't render acceptably in most popular epub2 reading systems. And if it's a "feature-rich" epub3, downgrading it will break its functionality anyway.
I believe that Amazon will not accept an epub3 format file. But that could have changed.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:53 PM   #24
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKh View Post
I believe that Amazon will not accept an epub3 format file. But that could have changed.
KindleGen has partial epub3 support and the Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines specifically mention that epub3 files are supported.

Quote:
To create Kindle files using KindleGen, you need:
I.e., unless you use scripting or advanced epub3 features, you shouldn't have any problems with AMAZON KDP.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote