Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-24-2008, 04:46 AM   #1
charlieperry
Connoisseur
charlieperry doesn't littercharlieperry doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Android and ebooks

As far as I can tell there is no ebook application for the Android operating system yet. Is that right?
charlieperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:03 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There are no devices which use the operating system yet, are there? Seems a little premature to expect application support.

If it does prove to be a commercial success, I'd expect to see a version of the MobiPocket Reader for it. Mobi already have a Java version of their reader, so it should be relatively straightforward to port it to Android.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:19 AM   #3
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There are no devices which use the operating system yet, are there? Seems a little premature to expect application support.

If it does prove to be a commercial success, I'd expect to see a version of the MobiPocket Reader for it. Mobi already have a Java version of their reader, so it should be relatively straightforward to port it to Android.
Actually T-Mobile US has launched one , The T-mobile G1.

Its made by HTC, and will be in US customers hands by the 22 of October and probably be introduced in other markets in a few months.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:29 AM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
Actually T-Mobile US has launched one , The T-mobile G1.

Its made by HTC, and will be in US customers hands by the 22 of October and probably be introduced in other markets in a few months.
I hope it is available in Sweden soon. I was impressed by the video reviews and when they release the whole thing Open Source I assume standard program like FBReader will be easy to port.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:43 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I thought that it would only allow the user to install Java apps on it. Is FBReader written in Java?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:54 AM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I thought that it would only allow the user to install Java apps on it. Is FBReader written in Java?
I think that will be fixed when they Open Source the whole thing. Also people have succeeded in running C++ applications in the Android emulator.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:01 AM   #7
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
More Info and videos here

http://www.htc.com/www/product/g1/overview.html

And it might be worth it to talk to your local HTC Dealer / Rep to ask when their going to release a unlocked version, as I don't think any other network will adopt it untill, its been in circulation for a few months.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:11 AM   #8
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
FBReader is ported to Android: http://www.fbreader.org/FBReaderJ/screenshots.php

Lexcycle is working on an Android version of Stanza too.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:49 AM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I think that will be fixed when they Open Source the whole thing. Also people have succeeded in running C++ applications in the Android emulator.
I googled a bit and I might have been using wishful thinking when I though they would support native C/C++ applications.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:50 AM   #10
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Google is in love with Java and Python. Guess we should expect support for both of these languages on Android.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 03:56 AM   #11
mikiher
mikiher began at the beginning.

Device: Ipod Touch, Android
FBReaderJ not working on my HTC dream

I have a G1 phone and tried to download the FBReaderJ package - unfortunately it doesn't install for some reason. Any experience with this from others?
mikiher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:27 AM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikiher View Post
I have a G1 phone and tried to download the FBReaderJ package - unfortunately it doesn't install for some reason.
From FBReader's Google Group (Android Market):
Quote:
current version of FBReaderJ contains several annoying issues. We plan to release version 0.2.1 and submit FBReaderJ to the Android Market after fixing these issues.
No indication that version 0.2 does not install on the G1 though. You could try asking in the Google Group.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:43 AM   #13
vellanova
vellanova began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Another ebook reader available on Android is Reveal Reader. You can download it from the Market, or read about it here:

http://revealreader.thepackhams.com/
http://www.cyrket.com/package/com.jackcholt.reveal
vellanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:15 PM   #14
tali3sin
Connoisseur
tali3sin began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Magic
Well, I don't have a G1 - but I've got a Magic with Cupcake on it, and no problems with FBReaderJ there... looking into this Reveal Reader thing right now though
tali3sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #15
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
If rumors are tru about Google entering the ebook realm, we'll definitely see a number of ebook readers for Android very soon.
I've seen revealread in action, it's pretty solid, but the device I was using had a small screen, so it was a bit painful.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote