Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 04:32 AM   #256
RotAnal
Connoisseur
RotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Dear kiwidude,
thanks for your answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
If your book is an EPUB (or indeed a PDF) then the performance will be as good as it is going to get, for any other format it must convert to EPUB behind the scenes which is where the lag is involved.
I see. Are you telling me that in the case of .djvu or .chm files it is better NOT to process them with your plugin in order to save time?
RotAnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:51 AM   #257
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
It is entirely up to you and the size of the books etc. You could always leave it running overnight if you have either a lot of books or some difficult ones to process. I don't use either of those formats myself to comment further on them.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #258
Tahini
Tahini began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight
Seems like an excellent plugin! However, I didnt find the option to extract the e-isbn in case it's present, instead of the regular isbn. Will it be implemented in the near future?
Tahini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #259
Giuseppe Chillem
Groupie
Giuseppe Chillem doesn't litterGiuseppe Chillem doesn't litter

Device: IREX DR1000
Hi,
I have just downloaded this plugin and I have a question.
I have selected 2000+ books. 22 Works have been created. PDF_TO_HTML crashed 3 or 4 times.

1) What happens in this scenario ? Extract ISBN continue after the offending books or the whole work (and the remaining search assigned to that work) stoppes ?

2) Also. Is there a way to resctrict the number of works to 1 ?
Giuseppe Chillem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #260
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Chillem View Post
2) Also. Is there a way to resctrict the number of works to 1 ?
Select the one book and the run the plugin and it will just work on the selected book.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #261
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahini View Post
Seems like an excellent plugin! However, I didnt find the option to extract the e-isbn in case it's present, instead of the regular isbn. Will it be implemented in the near future?
Yes, it would be good to get the eISBN instead of the pISBN.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #262
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, it would be good to get the eISBN instead of the pISBN.
That is better data, But...
How does using the e ISBN affect retrieving a cover that only exists on a p ISBN version of the book? Do you really want one of those (cheap) generic covers some Publishers are using?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #263
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
How does using the e ISBN affect retrieving a cover that only exists on a p ISBN version of the book? Do you really want one of those (cheap) generic covers some Publishers are using?
For me, its not about the covers, so much, as finding the right edition when I add the book to my shelves on GoodReads. Having the correct eISBN can help immensely when a book has 50 other entries.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #264
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It's not about covers. It's about getting the correct ISBN number for the eBook. I don't use automated software to go find a cover. I do that myself.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #265
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have no plans to add any support for different types of isbns and choosing one over another. The plugin looks for "digits" that might be an ISBN, rather than any sort of prefix due to the ridiculous number of variations possible. It would be a major change to make it do otherwise and it is not something I have enough interest in to do.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #266
Giuseppe Chillem
Groupie
Giuseppe Chillem doesn't litterGiuseppe Chillem doesn't litter

Device: IREX DR1000
Still no answer to my question:

What happen when a something like PDF2HTML crashes while extracting isbns ? Is the whole work of that particular job lost or does it continue ?
Giuseppe Chillem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #267
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Giuseppe - you had the error, so you should have seen what the result was based on whether it extracted isbns for other books in the batch or not. Of the top of my head I can't remember what the code would do, and having that PDF component crash is not something I see in my own usage to replicate (but then I try to avoid keeping PDFs where possible).

At a guess from memory this plugin breaks the work up into batches of some default size (50?). Each batch will get treated independently from each other, so an error in one batch should not affect others. As for what happens within a batch, my guess would be that with it being an unmanaged exception thrown by pdftohtml you will not get any isbn values from that batch back.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #268
mseiden
mseiden began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
greetings. excellent idea.
is there some reason why you decided not to try to extract isbn from the
metadata? in particular, i have hundreds of books where the document title is or
contains the isbn, e.g.
3642283675-2013-05-30-23-07
0398087423.PsychBobbyFischer
0195143787.pdf
9812560432 981238930XMachine

in some cases, attempting an extract from the text fails. in any case, it takes a very long time compared with a simple extract from the title or from a tag.
mseiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #269
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@mseiden - calibre already has the ability to get the isbn from the metadata, without using any plugins.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:45 AM   #270
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Since upgrading to 1.6.0, Extract ISBN is throwing errors:

calibre, version 1.6.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>ValueError</b>:tuple.index(x): x not in tuple

calibre 1.6 Portable isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-XP-5.1.2600-SP3 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', 'XP', '5.1.2600')
Python 2.7.5
Windows: ('XP', '5.1.2600', 'SP3', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\edit_metadata.py", line 642, in do_one_apply
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\edit_metadata.py", line 722, in finalize_apply
File "calibre_plugins.extract_isbn.action", line 166, in _mark_and_display_results
File "site-packages\calibre\db\view.py", line 383, in set_marked_ids
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\__init__.py", line 421, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\views.py", line 696, in marked_changed
File "site-packages\calibre\db\view.py", line 193, in id_to_index
ValueError: tuple.index(x): x not in tuple

Quality Check does the same now and again. Did something change in 1.6 to break them?

Edit: Never mind, found that it's a bug in Calibre that 'will be fixed in next release' (as always :-))

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-13-2013 at 12:10 PM.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote