Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
PhaniKakarla
PhaniKakarla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Download metadata and covers

I am new to using calibre and also using this forum - so could be replicating an earlier query, but could not find it despite searching.

When I "Download metadata and Covers" for multiple books. Once the download task is complete, i apply the metadata and covers, calibre chooses the 1st selection for each book and updates. I would like to be able to choose the option for each book.

Can someone help me with this?
PhaniKakarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaniKakarla View Post
I am new to using calibre and also using this forum - so could be replicating an earlier query, but could not find it despite searching.

When I "Download metadata and Covers" for multiple books. Once the download task is complete, i apply the metadata and covers, calibre chooses the 1st selection for each book and updates. I would like to be able to choose the option for each book.

Start in the Metadata editor (you can use Next/Previous to move thru a list)
Use the Download Metadata (will step thru both) or just use the Download covers button
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I would like to be able to choose the option for each book.

Update the metadata on one book at a time.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:33 AM   #4
PhaniKakarla
PhaniKakarla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
but then i have to download book by book..

i could actually download in multiple quantities but choose and update individually..
PhaniKakarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:56 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
but then i have to download book by book..

i could actually download in multiple quantities but choose and update individually..
You have 2 choices:
1) Do it your (old) way and get the results you have been seeing.
2) Do it the Per book way and get fine control.

FWIW Metadata sources are a (Data uniformity) mess. 6 books in a series and the series name come in 3 different ways. Heck, The publishers own metadata (in the book) isn't even uniform.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
MisterBuggie
Enthusiast
MisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura H20 2nd edition
OMG I was just about to ask the same question. I've been tearing my hair out trying to get this working. It wasn't making too many mistakes, then suddenly messed up an entire series (replacing one book with another, replacing some books by their omnibus edition or even a multiple book special offer...).
I wasn't always doing them in bulk either. Right click on a book, edit metadata, download... Seems like the logical place to do it from. Spent ages trying to find a nonexistant option so it would let me choose. Didn't occur to me that it might work differently if I opened up the individual metadata window.
I honestly think that could do to be changed, at least put a message in the confirmation window that the metadata and covers downloaded can be selected individually in the metadata editor window. Otherwise people just won't know to go through there.
MisterBuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Don't forget you can configure what get's downloaded and from where its sourced, via the Configure Download Data on the Edit Metadata window

I would be nice if one could select each item (Title, Comments, Publisher etc) a bit like one can select covers - I've noticed that B&N comments are often the best format, but then again they are sometimes for another book entirely.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:35 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Don't forget you can configure what get's downloaded and from where its sourced, via the Configure Download Data on the Edit Metadata window

I would be nice if one could select each item (Title, Comments, Publisher etc) a bit like one can select covers - I've noticed that B&N comments are often the best format, but then again they are sometimes for another book entirely.
You CAN
There is a second layer (configure by selected source) see the button near the bottom?
Old 10-22-2012, 01:59 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You CAN
There is a second layer (configure by selected source) see the button near the bottom?
What I mean is to see the different fields from each source, and make a selection - as is provided for covers - not sure how practical it would be - as I said a 'nice to have'

BR
Old 10-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
What I mean is to see the different fields from each source, and make a selection - as is provided for covers - not sure how practical it would be - as I said a 'nice to have'

BR
You want to see the results from each source and tick off each field choice?
Here is a trick I use for Comments:

I look at the comments returned from each source, I use the mouse to select and 'copy' what I want, then I choose the source for the rest and continue (or Cancel).
I then 'Paste' (clipboard) into Comments and Save
Old 10-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You want to see the results from each source and tick off each field choice?
Here is a trick I use for Comments:

I look at the comments returned from each source, I use the mouse to select and 'copy' what I want, then I choose the source for the rest and continue (or Cancel).
I then 'Paste' (clipboard) into Comments and Save
Yep, me too

If I already have comments then I clip them before I do the download, just in case I make a mistake or change my mind

BR

Tags
download, meta data