Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Pictures and question

I'd like to see some photos of the Glo that are not taken by Kobo, blogs, and review sites. I'd like to see different light brightnesses including all the way up to all the way down. Also, how is the Glo for fingerprints?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
I was going to post some pictures, but could not locate my camera. I tried taking some with my phone, but it couldn't quite capture enough details (can't tell the difference between different light settings, for example). I will try to post some pictures if I can find my camera though.

As far as the fingerprints go, I'm of the opinion that it is more or less the same as the KT, not a lot of noticeable prints on the screen, but a lot on the back.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobokobe View Post
I was going to post some pictures, but could not locate my camera. I tried taking some with my phone, but it couldn't quite capture enough details (can't tell the difference between different light settings, for example). I will try to post some pictures if I can find my camera though.

As far as the fingerprints go, I'm of the opinion that it is more or less the same as the KT, not a lot of noticeable prints on the screen, but a lot on the back.
Fingerprints on the back don't matter as it should be used with a good case. Then you won't be touching the back.

As for the photos, thanks in advance.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Jon, I don't have pictures, but I have been surprised by the fact that i have not felt a need to wipe down the screen after three days of heavy use. This is true whether the light is on or off. This is very different than my experience with the Nexus 7 (different screen and different technology), which I seem to wipe several times a day when I am using it for a lot of reading (and other things).
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Jon, I don't have pictures, but I have been surprised by the fact that i have not felt a need to wipe down the screen after three days of heavy use. This is true whether the light is on or off. This is very different than my experience with the Nexus 7 (different screen and different technology), which I seem to wipe several times a day when I am using it for a lot of reading (and other things).
I think the tablet vs Kobo difference (at least for me) is that I'm touching all parts of my tablet screen and mostly just the one corner to turn pages on the touch.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I use a screen protector just because I feel the need to do so. plus the one I have seems to help pop the words and make them a little bolder.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Fingerprints on the back don't matter as it should be used with a good case. Then you won't be touching the back.

As for the photos, thanks in advance.
I disagree. Kobo's are designed to be comfortably held in the hand. Cases always mess that up. I prefer reading without a case because it's much more comfortable. Fingerprints on the back is therefore a shame. But, I prefer a nicely quilted comfortable back with fingerprints than a hard and cold (Kindle) clean back.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:08 AM   #8
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I don't notice fingerprints on the screen at all, I'm guessing due to the pebbly texture. I get a lot of fingerprints on the bezel. I never look at the back, so I don't mind them there. The Glo is very comfortable to hold, and I won't use a case for mine.

I added a photo of mine to the "pic" thread. I don't have a fancy camera and some of the shadows on the screen were due to the lighting in the room, so I didn't feel like I was doing the screen and light justice.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I disagree. Kobo's are designed to be comfortably held in the hand. Cases always mess that up. I prefer reading without a case because it's much more comfortable. Fingerprints on the back is therefore a shame. But, I prefer a nicely quilted comfortable back with fingerprints than a hard and cold (Kindle) clean back.
Agreed. I always prefer reading without my case. It's much lighter, feels better in your hands, etc. I only keep it in the case when not in use (to protect against spills and what not). However, not using the case while reading kinda defeats the purpose of the sleepcover in my opinion (don't have the official cover, but used the tip posted about inserting a magnet in the pocket of a regular cover).
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobokobe View Post
Agreed. I always prefer reading without my case. It's much lighter, feels better in your hands, etc. I only keep it in the case when not in use (to protect against spills and what not). However, not using the case while reading kinda defeats the purpose of the sleepcover in my opinion (don't have the official cover, but used the tip posted about inserting a magnet in the pocket of a regular cover).
Yep, me too, only use cover for putting it away.

But I don't think reading without the cover defeats the magnet functionality. When you're reading, you want it on... So you don't need the magnet. You can just put the device in the cover and close the cover without sliding the slider... Yes, of course, there's more steps involved than just closing the cover... but then, just closing the covers isn't much less work than briefly sliding the slider over and then closing the cover. So I'm not really bothered about the magnets either way.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #11
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Yep, me too, only use cover for putting it away.

But I don't think reading without the cover defeats the magnet functionality. When you're reading, you want it on... So you don't need the magnet. You can just put the device in the cover and close the cover without sliding the slider... Yes, of course, there's more steps involved than just closing the cover... but then, just closing the covers isn't much less work than briefly sliding the slider over and then closing the cover. So I'm not really bothered about the magnets either way.
The magnet does seem a bit gimmicky, doesn't it?. Using the slider is pretty easy. Does the magnet also keep the cover closed without a tab or elastic band? Some of the photos of sleepcovers have closures and some don't.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #12
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!
CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura One
I like reading with a cover on. Just my preference. I'm not crazy about the sleep covers so I ordered myself a handmade custom cover off Etsy. If I feel the need for a sleep cover ill glue in a magnet.
CatherineStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #13
Lupa
Lupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I have taken a few pics (Updated) with different brightness settings, first one is on full then medium and low.

Last edited by Lupa; 10-14-2012 at 07:24 PM. Reason: updated photos
Lupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #14
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
These 2 pics are in a dim but not dark room (you'd want the light on to read, but you could make out the text without) with light set about 1/2 way. 1 with bottom bar set to clear, one with bottom bar set to black.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo Glo 2.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	94061  
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupa View Post
I have taken a few pics with different brightness settings, first one is on full then medium and low.

It would help if there was pages from a book on screen please.