Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #46
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Thanks for the link. Seems a bit exorbiant for pleather when you can get real leather for half the price. But I'm sure it is a perfectly good case. Basically it can have three functions, 1) protecting the GN /they all do) 2) holding credit cards and bills (some do) 3) function as a stand when you want to do some serious input or watch video (some do). But it is har to find a cas that do all three and have a nice luxury leather construction.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #47
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Congratulations on getting your Galaxy Note, Kumabjorn!

Fortte has some nice leather cases. The "Lander" has a good stand, but none have it all: http://www.fortte.com/543/Samsung-GA...-leather-case/

So, how difficult is it to get back to an earlier note? How do you like it overall??
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:02 AM   #48
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Had it for a couple of days now. I've used a HTC Desire for a couple of years before that. Some reflections:

a) Browser; The HTC actually has a better browser. When you zoom out or in the window will resize text to fit the window, with the GN you have to fiddle around before you get the size you like. This off course is off set by the larger screen.

b) Size: GN is almost double the size. I would probably not use it for extended conversations, my BT headset will get more mileage. But, the size was also what attracted me in the first place, you just don't stand in the store and have a pretend phone conversation for ten minutes.

c) Screen: It supposedly has a higher resolution, I just don't see it outside the larger real estate. That real estate is mighty handy though. I've been watching podcasts something I would rarely do on the Desire.

d) UI or Sense vs. TouchWiz: TW lets you scroll through the various screens something Sense doesn't, on the other hand Sense comes with a nice collection of Widgets. There is only one World Clock and that is fairly large. I like a small world clock on top of some home screens where I have apps related to a certain time zone. So I have opted for a different setup on GN and still need to make changes before it it optimized.

e) Input: Galaxy Note is hands down winner. HTC doesn't support external BT keyboards and Swype (I installed SlideIT on the Desire) is very efficient, not touch type efficient but a close cigarillo. I can see myself doing some serious note writing on it.

f) S-Pen: On a Desire you can only use a capacitive stylus with their rubber tips, the S-Pen is a lot more versatile. I feel like I may need to press a little hard and that creates some concerns for scratching the screen.

g) Bundled software: Samsung has a nicer collection including photo editing, just don't know that is something I will actually be using, it is a nice touch though. The King though is obviously the always available S-Memo, the ability to take a note while on the phone makes it into a productivity tool that reaches a different level.

h) S-Memo: As good as it is, it still has some annoying limitations. I would like to be able to recall the latest Note. Say you take a note in one conversation and then you need to use the content of that note in your next conversation, but then you will need to go out of Phone, back to home screen open S-Memo, find the note and then open it. A triple click with S-Pen should do all that.

i) Reading eBooks: Whoaw!! It is a very, very good container for the Kindle app (still haven't had the time to get around to epub, I can't download the Sony Reader app). I am able to set it to the smallest font with the most lines and smallest margins and my old eyes are still capable of reading without a problem. In bed this beats my Kindle hands down by the ankles.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #49
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Thanks Kumabjorn for the mini review, I was struck by the cons you posted; nothing there that can't be solved by free apps from Google Play.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #50
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Thanks Kumabjorn for the mini review, I was struck by the cons you posted; nothing there that can't be solved by free apps from Google Play.
The questions is; Which ones?

a) MiniOpera or Chrome Beta?
d) Beautiful Widgets? Still not as good as HTC Sense.
h) Don't know any Memo app outside Color Notes.
i) Sony doesn't make their Reader app available for Europe.

Did I miss something?
Old 05-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #51
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post

Did I miss something?
i) get aldiko (free) to try as a reading app for all epubs
See this thread for how to use with calibre server/libraries/adobe digital edition
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=178123
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #52
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro

Take your choice, there are many free browsers, and if you don't like one just delete it.

Yup! But lots of launchers have widgets. I haven't tried them all, but...

Jotter is getting good reviews, but it's not free so I'm waiting for the ICS upgrade with the premium package. Same goes for browsers and launchers.

I'm not sure about that one, but there are lots of readers for EPUBs out there. Aldiko is one that comes to mind.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #53
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Not missing much IMO. I suppose if you've purchased a lot of books from their store it might be nice, but it's not a great reading app. Mantano would be my choice for a DRM'd ePub reader (Aldiko & BlueFire aren't bad either) or if DRM isn't an issue there is also Moon+ or a bunch of others.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #54
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
"Samsung Galaxy Note, a 5.3in beast that's part smartphone, part tablet"

Does Samsung make this without the phone function ?
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:30 AM   #55
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I also recommend Mantano Reader Pro for a great epub reader app.

Samsung does not make it without the phone part, but there is no rule that says you have to use the phone. Just put the device in airplane mode, then turn WiFi on as desired. I don't use the phone on mine, I didn't even own a SIM card when I got it. I did unlock mine in case I ever want to use it as a phone, but you don't have to do that to use it as a WiFi only device.

Otherwise, the closest non-phone device to it would be the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0, but it is really no contest between the two, except for battery life.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:47 AM   #56
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I just ordered an unlocked Galaxy note to replace my ageing iPhone 3GS. Looking forward to it!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:05 AM   #57
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Google's Japanese Input works very well with the S-Pen. Hopefully they'll come out with direct input as well.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:46 AM   #58
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Soo, today I got a few extras I found at various sites. First an extra Samsung battery. I do have some extra external chargers but in reality an extra battery really doesn't take up too much space and you don't have to wait for it to charge once you discover you are out of juice.
I also got a table stand/dock charger. Turns out that this is a great stand for the K3 as well. You can put it in there if you want to have your hands free while reading, and you get it charged while reading as well. Two stones a bird, ant all that.

I also got a nice case for it, a leather case that can also function as a stand for landscape mode and it even has room for two credit cards and some bills. In essence i can leave home with just one little thing in my pocket now.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:04 AM   #59
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Got a link for the case? I've seen a few cases like that but they're not real leather and I think that anything that has a cover might be a little difficult to type with as you would need to hands for such a large screen. I'm also leery of increasing the already large size. Still, I like the idea of something like that
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:34 AM   #60
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Leather case but it is black on the inside as well, not red as in the pictures. Amzon.jp might have it as well.