Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-06-2013, 05:47 AM   #1
muzzex
muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4.1.0
Russian dictionary in Kindle 4.1.0

Hi,

I have a brand new Kindle 4.1.0.
I have downloaded a Ru-En dictionary.
It is not possible to use this to get pop-up translations as Kindle do not support cyrillic language. I can browse the dictionary, but that's not very convenient way to look up words.

A few questions.
1. Can I Jailbreak the device such that it supports also cyrillic letters? I'm 99% sure this does not work. At least that's what I understand from other posts about similar issues.
2. Can I Jailbreak the device to add cyrillic symbols in my "keyboard"? And if so, can I use them to search for Russian words in my dictionary? Will it recognice them and find them?

Thanks for any help,
Muzzex
muzzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the dev forum, since this question relates to JB.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Who said that the Kindle doesn't support cyrillic books? The Kindle can display anything UTF-8, including russian. About the keyboard: I'm pretty sure that there are some hacks out there, but you'll need to search in russian forums.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
... and it would appear to support pop-up dictionaries for non-Roman alphabets, given that such dictionaries are supplied as standard with the Kindle for languages such as Chinese, Japanese, and Korean.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
muzzex
muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, they support Russian written books. I have no problem to read the books, but the dictionaries do not work. At least they are not linked to the books such that I can find the word on pop-up. I can also not search the Ru dictionary as I can't write any cyrillic letters.

I guess it's the hack out there that I'm looking for. I'm not high-tech enough to understand everything out there, and the Russian written forums are too complicated. I'm still quite new into the Russian language.

Thanks,
m.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
muzzex

I've been in contact with Amazon and they confirmed that they do not offer any Russian keyboard or dictionaries to have pop-up function. (of course you can read a Ru-En dictionary by pressing next/previous page buttons...).
They also said it was not possible to do any JB... :- )
Old 01-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #7
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
The "pop-up function" is language-agnostic, and relies on the metadata of both the book and the dictionary being correct. In other words: the books' language metadata must be correctly set to "russian", and the dictionary's input language must be set to russian too.

I believe that you can use the metadata editor to verify (and possibly change) the metadata, but I'm not an expert on that. Just try it out.

PS: Please update your profile to include your device. This makes it much easier for everyone to see what "constellation" you are talking about.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
flashmozzg
Enthusiast
flashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
The "pop-up function" is language-agnostic, and relies on the metadata of both the book and the dictionary being correct. In other words: the books' language metadata must be correctly set to "russian", and the dictionary's input language must be set to russian too.

I believe that you can use the metadata editor to verify (and possibly change) the metadata, but I'm not an expert on that. Just try it out.

PS: Please update your profile to include your device. This makes it much easier for everyone to see what "constellation" you are talking about.
AFAIK it doesn't work this way and the only way to make it work it's to download special modified dictionaries and to set book language to english.
Also russian keyboard: http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...259abb700f4f1e
flashmozzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:21 AM   #9
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashmozzg View Post
AFAIK it doesn't work this way and the only way to make it work it's to download special modified dictionaries and to set book language to english.
Also russian keyboard: http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...259abb700f4f1e
Yes it does, ixtab is right:
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-53331.gif
Views:	3156
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	98967
I used the Russian-English Dictionary by A. I. Smirnitsky & A. L. Smirnitsky which has the metadata language ru(25), input language ru(25), output language en(9) and the book is 1001 by Sergei Aleksandrovich Rachinskii which has the metadata language ru(25) and which I obtained from the Project Gutenberg
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #10
PoP
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Somebody gave me karma thanks! Prompted me to find another example in chinese :

Name:	zh(4 Chinois_simplifié, république de Chine) zh(4) to en(1033) Chinois_Mandarin à Anglais - cc-c.gif
Views:	1075
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	98985

I used the Chinese to English Dictionary from cc-cedict.org which has the metadata language zh(4 Chinese) input language zh(4) output language en(1033) and the book is Zhong Guo Shi Da Jin Shu Guo Shai Tian Xiang by Jing Xin Wu which has the metadata language zh(4) and which I also obtained from Project Gutemberg

P. S. I have absolutely no idea of the subject/meaning of this Chinese book (or of the Russian book in the previous post). Hope my example are not offensive to anyone.

Last edited by PoP; 01-07-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
PoP

More fun + a survey

And for more fun, here is what happens with the book Also sprach Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche which has the metadata language de(1031)

1) With the Deutsches Universal-wörterbuch by Duden (Definition dictionary freely downloadable from amazon). which has metadata language de(1031) input language de(1031) output language de(1031).

Name:	de(1031 Allemand_Allemagne) de(1031) to de(1031) Deutsches Universal-wörterbuch - Duden.mobi.gif
Views:	1408
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	98986

2) With the German-English Translation dictionary by Michael Sheldon which has identical metadata language de(1031) input language de(1031) output language de(1031) (though it would be more representative to set output language to en(1033)).

Name:	de(1031 Allemand_Allemagne) de(1031) to de(1031) Dictionnaire German-English - Michael Sheldon.m.gif
Views:	1851
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	98987

Survey: When the two dictionaries are present in the Kindle which one would get chosen to pop up the definition/translation of einmal:
a) Always the first one you loaded?
b) Always the the second one you loaded?
c) Either one at random?
d) The first one if it contains the word searched, otherwise the second one?
e) None of them since lab26 code would be too confusing to maintain?
f) All of them since lab26 coding skills are paramount?
g) The Chinese dictionary since nobody would be able to tell the difference?
Old 01-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
muzzex

Great!
I got it working.
The first Russian book I was testing was a .txt file. This has no metadata, so I guess it might not be possible. But I also learned how to create .mobi or .prc files from .txt and then change the language settings. So, now I got it all working also with that book.

Thanks a lot for the help!
Old 01-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
Survey: When the two dictionaries are present in the Kindle which one would get chosen to pop up the definition/translation of einmal:
a) Always the first one you loaded?
b) Always the the second one you loaded?
c) Either one at random?
d) The first one if it contains the word searched, otherwise the second one?
e) None of them since lab26 code would be too confusing to maintain?
f) All of them since lab26 coding skills are paramount?
g) The Chinese dictionary since nobody would be able to tell the difference?
Inverted Urdu. (a.k.a: f above)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #14
wakawaka
wakawaka knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wakawaka knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wakawaka knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wakawaka knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wakawaka knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wakawaka knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wakawaka knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wakawaka knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wakawaka knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wakawaka knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wakawaka knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
Yes it does, ixtab is right:
Attachment 98967
I used the Russian-English Dictionary by A. I. Smirnitsky & A. L. Smirnitsky which has the metadata language ru(25), input language ru(25), output language en(9) and the book is 1001 by Sergei Aleksandrovich Rachinskii which has the metadata language ru(25) and which I obtained from the Project Gutenberg
Hey Pop, thanks for the tip! Very cool to get the popup dictionary working with Russian, however I haven't been able to find a dictionary to work well with all the declensions and conjugations in Russian. Where did you find the Russian-English Dictionary by A. I. Smirnitsky & A. L. Smirnitsky dictionary? Any thoughts on getting something like a 'closest match' lookup, i.e. find the word in the dictionary that matches a given word the closest if no exact matches are found?

Thanks for any input or ideas!
wakawaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #15
PoP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakawaka View Post
Hey Pop, thanks for the tip! Very cool to get the popup dictionary working with Russian, however I haven't been able to find a dictionary to work well with all the declensions and conjugations in Russian. Where did you find the Russian-English Dictionary by A. I. Smirnitsky & A. L. Smirnitsky dictionary? Any thoughts on getting something like a 'closest match' lookup, i.e. find the word in the dictionary that matches a given word the closest if no exact matches are found?

Thanks for any input or ideas!
I found it from a link posted here. I think that the dictionary has to be created with all the possible inflections for the declensions and conjugations to be searchable. AFAIK the Kindle does not lookup "closest matches'... closest or partial match would certainly be useful... searching *all* dictionaries too... I'm afraid, it would require a rewrite of the Kindle framework.

Last edited by PoP; 02-06-2013 at 03:03 PM. Reason: mispelling... bad in a dictionary thread

Tags
cyrillic, dictionary, kindle 4.1.0, russian