Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #151
smartgenes
smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 3
Noob's Room

Launchpad method still not working for me, can you explain what my misunderstandings of the process are. I am thinking:

The gnuboy.ini is launched by Shift & G B (because of the gnuboy.ini script) This launches the file rungame. (well, not in my case as I just get a fail message and no log...)

rungame - 1. actions a command bin/sh (which I don't understand, amongst other things of course) then gets picture from usr/bin/pictures (does the picture have to reside here? Anyway I used mv to put it there) 2. create/writes a gnuboy log (I assume if the process fails)

(or is rungame also meant to be a .sh or have to be in launchpad folder? -- or am I meant to replace "rungame" with "fbgnuboy" in the text of the script?)

gnuboy.sh - 1. seems to do some sort of input detection 2. opens list of roms 3. sets home as tmp (I don't understand why or how this works, but understand that it is to avoid having to mntroot rw which is how I was circumventing Gameboy's desire to write to the file)
4. writes gnuboy.log if process fails

--where is gnuboy.sh supposed to be and how does it relate to the other 2 scripts?
smartgenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #152
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Well. that is really up to you. everything you typed about I ASSUME you meant /mnt/us before...

Quote:
"then gets picture from usr/bin/pictures "
err no /mnt/us/something...

I did highlight those important paths in the original script.

Personally, I have amended the kindle system path to include the /mnt/us/usr/bin/blah stuff

(as outlined http://minimodding.com/article9-Kind...ng-custom-apps)

did you try PATH=$PATH:/mnt/us/usr/bin rungame

You can affect the environment variables at runtime by putting it before the call.

TBH It's a basic script. ignore the top bit.

just the bottom few lines actually matter.

check you DO have the stuff in either /mnt/us/fbgnuboy/here
(I honestly don't have that but that's the default "install location" IIRC)

It just a) sets up lots of logic to handle crappy screen printing.

b) prints out the results of an ls command (in roms dir)
(piped through sed to get rid of suffixes)

b2) freezes cvm and launchpad to stop key presses effing stuff up)

c) waits for you to type something

d) uses eips to put piccy on screen (from wherever - it doesn't matter)

e) call fbgnuboy (now we have enough info to start a game) with the typed command argument (actually back-converted into the filename)

e2) unfreeze cvm etc on exit and push some HOME button clicks to key buffer to refresh screen (and hide horrid key buffer that spews out at the end)

Where the stuff is really doesnt matter. as long as it is all where you SAY it should be in the script.

If in doubt just shove it all in one folder (other than the rom maybe, make that a subdir) and reference the whole shebang like "dot forward slash blah"

as in ./gb-splash.jpg ./this ./that ./theotherthing -
ALSO adjust the cd /mnt/us/here/or/something... half way down the file.

HTH

TL;DR??

Shove them all together. reference locally. change to directory before execution if in doubt. etc. HTH

Last edited by twobob; 11-25-2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: those important paths
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #153
smartgenes
smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.

Trouble Chute

Quote:
did you try PATH=$PATH:/mnt/us/usr/bin rungame
--no I'm new at this malarky, and I don't understand what that does or why I would be doing stuff at usr/bin in this case..
From what I understand I create the .ini file in the launchpad folder, which has within it:
!/mnt/us/fbgnuboy/rungame

So, it points to rungame - is this just a file we create in the relevant directory, and does it need a .sh extension?

There were 2 different scripts, do we need both of them called gnuboy.sh and one called rungame, or should everything be in one script (as I can't understand if there is meant to be two, how the second script is coming into play)

Presumably eips -g ./gb-flash.jpg does not need a path change as it already changes dir to the correct place.

What the stuff does only matters to me as I'm trying to understand where scripts should be as clearly I'm not doing it right... :-)

I wondered if HOME=/tmp would alter the cd /mnt/us/fbgnuboy so that ./fbgnuboy wouldn't run? I don't understand how that command works, though I understand it is there because of Gameboy requiring to write (plus whatever reasons relate to the custom modding link you sent).

Or maybe the prolem is because I'm saving the script in Notepad and not in Linux??

Anyway thanks for all the help, it's a learning curve..

edit: do I have to make the file gnuboy.log in advance?

Last edited by smartgenes; 11-24-2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: gnuboy.log
Old 11-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #154
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartgenes View Post
--no I'm new at this malarky, and I don't understand what that does or why I would be doing stuff at usr/bin in this case..
From what I understand I create the .ini file in the launchpad folder, which has within it:
!/mnt/us/fbgnuboy/rungame

So, it points to rungame - is this just a file we create in the relevant directory, and does it need a .sh extension?

There were 2 different scripts, do we need both of them called gnuboy.sh and one called rungame, or should everything be in one script (as I can't understand if there is meant to be two, how the second script is coming into play)

Presumably eips -g ./gb-flash.jpg does not need a path change as it already changes dir to the correct place.

What the stuff does only matters to me as I'm trying to understand where scripts should be as clearly I'm not doing it right... :-)

I wondered if HOME=/tmp would alter the cd /mnt/us/fbgnuboy so that ./fbgnuboy wouldn't run? I don't understand how that command works, though I understand it is there because of Gameboy requiring to write (plus whatever reasons relate to the custom modding link you sent).

Or maybe the prolem is because I'm saving the script in Notepad and not in Linux??

Anyway thanks for all the help, it's a learning curve..

edit: do I have to make the file gnuboy.log in advance?
okay few quick facts.

anything on FAT has "can be executed" status. That is to say it can be "Run".
Unlike ext3 where you must set the executable (octal thingy) bit in permissions.

so give it the extension .PoohBear and it will still try to run if you tell it to.

#!/bin/sh at the start does the heavy lifting of "I do what now?"

okay. so that known....

/blah/blah ./blah/blah and blah/blah are all different. (obviously)

1) root of the drive

2) relative to current directory
(In the script mind, this pwd [present working directory] can change mid script and not affect the parent calling shell)

3) like 2 but implied.

The pwd (which is a commnd you can type on the command line) is stored in variable $PWD

[root@kindle root]# pwd
Quote:
/mnt/us/home/root
so... that known... we could try this....

[root@kindle root]# echo $PWD
Quote:
/mnt/us/home/root
therefore... if in doubt... in the future exactly where you "are" during a script you can drop in a pwd

Simply stick echo $PWD in the script (pictured, mine runs in /mnt/us/usr/bin/)

IN THIS CASE HOWEVER... using putei will lay it out nicely...

(pictured)

Heck you can put a echo $PATH too in the script if you want to be sure...

So - to sum up. Get all the stuff in a known location.

cd to that location. run your script.
or put a call to cd to a useful location IN your script (I did this)

if the stuff you are trying to reference IS NOT in the the $PWD (AND YOU ARE REFERENCING THE FILE LIKE ./MYFILE) and is not in the $PATH then it won't be found. those are the basic rules...

I probably missed a bunch of details, feel free someone to fill them in.

Hope you get it sorted mate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_012.png
Views:	241
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	96795   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_011.png
Views:	222
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	96796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_013.png
Views:	218
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	96804  

Last edited by twobob; 11-25-2012 at 09:14 AM. Reason: (AND YOU ARE REFERENCING THE FILE LIKE ./MYFILE)
Old 11-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #155
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
if the stuff you are trying to reference IS NOT in the the $PWD and is not in the $PATH then it won't be found. those are the basic rules...
On Windows.

This is *nix, executables are only found via the list of directories present in the $PATH variable.
The current directory (".") is not normally included in the $PATH search list. The reasons for that are matters of system security.

But otherwise, twobob gives good "getting started" advice above.
There are approximately a zillion web sites that provide "new to Linux" information where the reader may continue their education.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #156
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
On Windows.

This is *nix, executables are only found via the list of directories present in the $PATH variable.
The current directory (".") is not normally included in the $PATH search list. The reasons for that are matters of system security.

But otherwise, twobob gives good "getting started" advice above.
There are approximately a zillion web sites that provide "new to Linux" information where the reader may continue their education.
Ah yeah. I meant.. (AND YOU ARE REFERENCING THE FILE LIKE ./MYFILE)

Added Thanks Mate
Old 11-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #157
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Ah yeah. I meant.. (AND YOU ARE REFERENCING THE FILE LIKE ./MYFILE)

Added Thanks Mate
Not a problem, I knew what you meant.
Hmm... Might be time for another handful of my "nice guy" pills before I make any more posts this morning.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #158
smartgenes

better take the nice guy pills..

Amending the .ini to this

[Actions]

## Launch the Gameboy Emulator
G B = !PATH=$PATH:/mnt/us/fbgnuboy/rungame.sh

I do now get a success message. But no gnuboy yet..

Why in the /mnt/us/usr/bin ? Thought that you said everything could go in /mnt/us/fbgnuboy if I wanted..
Old 11-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #159
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
[Actions]
Why in the /mnt/us/usr/bin ? Thought that you said everything could go in /mnt/us/fbgnuboy if I wanted..
It's just they way he has his kindle's directory set up.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #160
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

[Actions]

The PATH variable should be a list of colon separated directory paths.

I.E: remove the name of the executable script file from the path list (you are probably missing a space between the new PATH assignment and the executable name above).

The "/mnt/us" path prefix is forced upon us by the file system layout that Amazon uses.
It is also the "root" of that part seen over the USB cable in storage device mode.
The "/usr/bin" is the File System Standard place for user binaries under Linux.
Using "/<application name>" rather than "/usr/bin" is the common MicroSoft usage under Windows.

Either will work (presuming you set the corresponding PATH list entry).
At least until you have an application that uses shared libraries.

Last edited by knc1; 11-25-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #161
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Better take the nice guy pills.
So far all of your questions have been Linux Basics.
They belong on a "Linux Newbie" site, such as:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/
or any of the many other such sites and forums.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #162
twobob

Quote:

[Actions]

G B = !PATH=$PATH:/mnt/us/fbgnuboy/ rungame.sh

Hi. I thought I was pretty clear that I have a non standard setup.

In fact I have gone to great lengths to outline this fact.

WHERE you put something is between you and your god.

HOW you refer to it is the only thing that matters. : )

in your case: ## Launch the Gameboy Emulator
G B = !PATH=$PATH:/mnt/us/fbgnuboy/ rungame.sh

would probably do the job (note the space)

This does two things a) sets the path (to include the directory) and then b) runs the script.

Your call simply asks it to add (junk) to the path (unless you have a directory named rungame.sh, which obviously you don't)

And - might I add. This is a bit superfluous. simply changing the call to

G B = !/mnt/us/fbgnuboy/rungame.sh

and changing all the calls to be (./something) and cd'ing in the script (this is already done) would be plenty.

TBH I am struggling to remember the actual requirements of gnuboy. none IIRC. I will go read the script. IIRC the executable just needs to be "run" with the right arguments. very basic. no "LD_LIBRABRY_PATH" complications or anything.

OR: to test: (if you have myts installed, or ssh access)

simply cd to the fbgnuboy directory
and run the script from there (with all the references changed to ./ and ./roms)

when THIS works, then worry about launching it via launchpad.

: ) Hope that helps. @knc1 Yeah this is pretty much scripting 101.
gotta start somewhere : D

Last edited by twobob; 11-25-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #163
smartgenes

If I didn't know /mnt/us was the Kindle system layout then I wouldn't even be here. Admittedly I am learning scripts- as it stands the script doesn't work for us newbies (at least in Launchpad), and I'm trying to understand what it is that I don't know.

Understand it was a non-standard set up, but mine is bog standard, and I wasn't sure if this was where my erroneous thinking was.
twobob: you said try the call with the superfluous bit in earlier post, so I tried it..

As far as I can see I checked all the paths, and checked all the Linux basics I might be wrong about, but still getting zip...

Anyways, I appreciate the scripting 101, hopefully it will help someone else too, and at least I can still run it in Kindle Terminal.

I tried the script in SSH and it works despite this message:

eips: paint_char> character "!" not available

..at least up to the point of selecting a rom.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #164
twobob

Hi. Hope I didn't come across as preachy of vitriolic. I hadn't been awake all that long

Simply trying to be clear. It's all to easy to come across or be read negatively.

That message seems an odd one.

Might I ask that you post the exact script you are using please?
And an idea of the exact content of the relevant bits of your file system would make supporting you a shedload easier too : )

so:
rungame script. A copy of your current one please.

screenie of /mnt/us/fbgnuboy/ directory content
(see if there are any surprises in there...? compare it to script...)

a copy of your launchpad.ini thing you are triggering (the one for the gameboy, check it for whitespace or other usual suspects)

I think that is it?

Cheers : )
Old 11-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #165
smartgenes

gnuboy.ini in launchpad folder:

[Actions]

G B = !/mnt/us/fbgnuboy/ rungame.sh

script:
Spoiler:
#!/bin/sh
#================================================= ==
# getkb - get translated ascii keys from K3 keyboard
# v1.2 by geekmaster
# STDOUT: pressed keys, until Enter key pressed.
#---------------------------------------------------
getkb() {
eips -z 2 38 # scroll
XP=0
YP=39
DN=/dev/null
KN="1234567890____qwertyuiop____asdfghjkl_____zxc v bnm_."
KS="1234567890____QWERTYUIOP____ASDFGHJKL_____ZXC V BNM_,"
KP="1234567890____~@#$%^&*()____<>[]{}?/\_____;:'|-+=_?"
KM=$KN
ST=""
while :;do
eips $XP $YP "$ST""_ "
L="_"
set $(waitforkey); K=$1 D=$2
[[ $D -eq 0 ]]&& continue
# [[ $K -eq 28 ]]&& break # enter
[[ $K -eq 190 ]]&& break # use Aa for enter
[[ $K -eq 14 ]]&& ST="$(echo ${ST%?})" && continue # del
[[ $K -eq 42 ]]&& KM=$KS && continue # shift
[[ $K -eq 126 ]]&& KM=$KP && continue # Sym
[[ $K -eq 57 ]]&& L=" " # space
[[ $K -le 52 ]]&& L="$(echo \"$KM\"|cut -b$K-$K)"
# [[ "$L" == "_" ]]&& L="($K)"
[[ "$L" == "_" ]]&& continue
# echo -n "$L"
ST="$ST$L"
KM=$KN
done
echo "$ST"
}

putei() {
st=$1
ii=${#st}
while [ $ii -ge 0 ]
do
eips -z 2 38 # scroll
eips 0 39 "$(echo $st | cut -b-50)" # write to the bottom
st="$(echo $st | cut -b51-)"
ii=$(( ii - 50 ))
done
}

killall -stop cvm launchpad 2> /dev/null
cd /mnt/us/fbgnuboy
eips -c;
putei "fbgnuboy - Game Boy Advanced Emulator"
putei ""
putei "Available ROMS -"
putei "$(ls ./roms)"
putei ""
putei "Execute Which ROM?"
game="$(getkb)"
#draw picture frame
eips -g ./gb-flash.jpg
sleep 1
HOME=/tmp ./fbgnuboy ./roms/"$game".g* 2> /mnt/us/gnuboy.log
killall -cont cvm launchpad 2> /dev/null

Could there be a compatibility problem between Kindle 3 and eips?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	folder.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	96855