Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2008, 04:17 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Google guy develops Gutenberg-to-Sony proxy tool

From his blog, Sergey Solyanik writes:

Quote:
I am in the process of writing a proxy web site that would be a projection of gutenberg.org, but would add an option to download the file in a LRF format (which I would construct on the fly from the text files).
Fascinating what one can do with a few lines of (Python) code!
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:36 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Fascinating what one can do with a few lines of (Python) code!
Let's not forget that he also uses Sven's command line tool to convert to LRF.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2008, 05:31 AM   #3
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Thanks for that link -- the concept has great potential.

However, I think that it will be a bit better than reading the PG books as plain text files and certainly not as good as the human-converted books being uploaded here at mobileread. The use of illustrations in many of these files is a very nice touch (even if such editions limit the number of books we take with us at one time), and the links to chapters is a great touch that it will be interesting to see if Sven's converter can match.

But with so many PG books and so few (relatively speaking) people making these wonderful conversions at this site (I so wish I had time to add to this terrific library) a tool such as Sven is offering may well be a terrific way to get better reading experiences from PG files until such time as someone takes the time to make better conversions.

Now if someone could come up with a native LRF editor so that Sven's tool could do the original conversion and then if a person wanted to, more features could be added to the original LRF file.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:59 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Umm aren't most PG books already available in LRF format from manybooks.net, all converted with makelrf? And somebody should tell him to use gutenmark + html2lrf for much better results.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:33 AM   #5
solyanik
solyanik doesn't littersolyanik doesn't litter

Device: SONY Reader
Project available in pre-alpha state

http://1-800-magic.blogspot.com/2008...pre-alpha.html

To the people who suggested using different technology: I will, eventually. Just give me time :-). So far I have set up the framework. Extending and improving it will be easy.
solyanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert