Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #1
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Examples of ePubs with SVG?

There is a request in FBReader's Google Group for an example ePub with SVG. Collecting examples seems like a good idea even independent of this request.

Which ePubs are good examples of the use of SVG? If possible, they should be DRM-free and freely down loadable but any good example of SVG usage is worth mentioning.

Uses of SVG in ePubs include:
  • a wrapper to optimize an image's size
  • text placed exactly on the screen
  • text overlaying an image
  • in-line symbols (e.g. math expressions)
  • vector graphics
Are there other uses?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Which ePubs are good examples of the use of SVG? If possible, they should be DRM-free and freely down loadable but any good example of SVG usage is worth mentioning.
There's my "Desbarollda, the Waltzing Mouse". A free sample is available at Lulu.com that shows two uses of SVG:

* Exact placement of text and proportional resizing of text and images, to make the title page match the printed title page very closely
* Proportional resizing of images to fit the screen, whatever the aspect ratio of the screen relative to the image aspect ratio.

http://www.lulu.com/product/6021650

The Preview link is not very obvious, but is visible just below the cover image.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 04:49 AM   #3
rwst
Enthusiast
rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
There's my "Desbarollda, the Waltzing Mouse". A free sample is available at Lulu.com that shows two uses of SVG:

* Exact placement of text and proportional resizing of text and images, to make the title page match the printed title page very closely
* Proportional resizing of images to fit the screen, whatever the aspect ratio of the screen relative to the image aspect ratio.

http://www.lulu.com/product/6021650

The Preview link is not very obvious, but is visible just below the cover image.
Sorry, but what nonsense. That preview contains not a single line of SVG but uses PNG for the pictures.

But maybe you changed it since none of the readers could handle SVG?
Then please give a link to the SVG version, as this would still be interesting.

Regards,
rwst
rwst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:58 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Since this has been revived, I used SVG in "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" to slant two lines of text (chapter V).

I could also use SVG in "Through the Looking-Glass" for a piece of mirrored text, but it's not there yet.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:27 AM   #5
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
I've used SVG for illustrations and photographs which I wanted to reproduce in the original landscape mode, so I could rotate the caption 90 degrees. I've done it in e.g. Eivind Astrup: Blandt Nordpolens Naboer
I'm not sure it's worth it though; SVG support can be patchy and unpredictable, and more readers have support for flipping between portrait and landscape mode than have reliable SVG support.

My favourite use of SVG is to achieve flow around ragged images as described in this post by Jellby. This paticular solution has the advantage that the images can be scaled. See e.g. Fridtjof Nansen: Eskimoliv, chapter 4.

For scaling of other images I just set the width attribute to a percentage value, that seems to handle scaling in all the readers I've tried.
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 06:38 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I use SVG as wrapper for my covers and SVG for the titlepage as vector graphics. Sometimes I also use SVG as section dividers, since they can scale with the text.

So far no complaints. I must say however, that there are various methods. It might be that some are better supported than others.

- Images in SVG wrapper
- embed SVG objects
- SVG inside the XHTML

I can understand that transformations are not always supported well.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:40 AM   #7
rwst
Enthusiast
rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.rwst solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Thanks for replying. Let me add the following link
http://www.hindawi.com/epub/

which showcases a few journal papers using SVG for typesetting formulae, graphics and such.

Now, since you played with SVG you certainly tested the epub on a few readers. Can you please tell which readers (apart from Adobe) can display SVG in the text without any transformation? Can it zoom the SVG too?

Regards,
rwst

PS: This is just for quick orientaton. I might create a full thread/poll when I'm sure about which code to use.

Last edited by rwst; 12-09-2011 at 04:53 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:43 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwst View Post
Sorry, but what nonsense. That preview contains not a single line of SVG but uses PNG for the pictures.
Might I suggest you look again at content002.xhtml?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
rwst
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Might I suggest you look again at content002.xhtml?
Ah ok, apologies for not grepping deep. Thanks for your reply.

I think what is needed before starting a poll is something like
http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/wi...Suite_Overview

but with additional tests directed at EPUB readers, like OPS conformance etc.

Regards,
rwst
Old 12-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I only use Adobe, since my reader works on ADE. However, I know that even iBooks worked fine with the SVG...
Old 12-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #11
Toxaris
Wizard

I only tested on Adobe myself, since that is my reader. However, even iBooks supported my usage of SVG. I also used quotations in SVG. These were created with the inline tool of codecogs.