Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-26-2015, 02:14 AM   #1
lukasz
lukasz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Front light not working

Hello everyone, this is my first post here, hope it's not the last

I managed to acquire a pre-owned Aura HD. The thing that brought me here is a non-functional front light. I tried looking around but didn't manage to find if someone reported a similar problem.
The details:
- Aura HD with updated software, version 3.12.1,
- the physical button on top works (I think) because it toggles an indicator in system (a sun icon),
- when I press the sun icon a slider comes up to adjust the brightness,
- also when sliding up and down during reading the percentage changes.
So, none of the actions above actually turn on the light. Without it the value of e-reader is strongly diminished...
Any help? Software problem? Or more likely hardware related?
Thanks for any input.
Cheers,
Lukasz
lukasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:33 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The same thing happened with my Glo earlier in the year. From all the tests I could do, it appeared to be a hardware problem. I assume either the LEDs failed or the circuit leading to them, but I couldn't see anything when I opened it. As it was over two years old, I took it as a sign to buy an Aura H2O. Now I just gave to come up with justification for why I bought a Glo HD

The only suggestion I have is to do a factory reset just in case something was messed up in an upgrade. I don't expect it will help, but it needs to be tried.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2015, 02:49 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Any idea when it was bought? It could be still under warranty.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 03:00 AM   #4
lukasz

Hardware problem you say... LEDs failing is very unlikely, not all of them at once. Ehh, still, that's not too good. May be the circuit.
As for the warranty, I think I can return it as it was said to be fully functional.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:08 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasz View Post
Hardware problem you say... LEDs failing is very unlikely, not all of them at once. Ehh, still, that's not too good. May be the circuit.
Yes, all the LEDs failing at once would be strange, so something else in the hardware. My tests included using telnet to check logs and other things to make sure the software was doing what it should have.
Quote:
As for the warranty, I think I can return it as it was said to be fully functional.
That's probably the best thing to do.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2015, 11:29 AM   #6
lukasz

I know, but then I'll probably loose the chance to get one since I'm leaving USA soon and they are pretty nonexistent in other parts of the world )I'm looking at you, Europe...).
That's the reason of asking here, so maybe something can be done to restore the light feature...
Old 05-01-2015, 03:01 AM   #7
lukasz

I'm returning the malfunctioning unit so that's the end of this story. Thanks for posting.