Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-14-2016, 02:38 PM   #1
MariusMasalar
Tech Whisperer
MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Paperwhite 3; Kobo Aura One, H2O
Post Kobo Aura One Long-Term Review

Hey folks, it's me again. The guy who writes long reviews of things only after spending an appreciable amount of time using them.

This time it's the Aura One that I've been spending time with (a month of exclusive use at this point). I think a lot of people will be considering a purchase between this and the Kindle Oasis/Voyage, so where appropriate I've highlighted the various pros and cons of each in the review.

Here is is if you'd like to read it:

https://mariusmasalar.me/kobo-aura-one-8c0a4b545784

I hope it's useful to anyone still on the fence! As always, feel free to ask questions if you have them and I'll do my best to answer them.
MariusMasalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:15 PM   #2
karlnapf
Enthusiast
karlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy bluekarlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy bluekarlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy bluekarlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy bluekarlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy bluekarlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy bluekarlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy bluekarlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy bluekarlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy bluekarlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy bluekarlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura One
"The Android flagship of e-readers"

where can I find the Android on this reader ?

(of course I read the whole review)

Last edited by karlnapf; 09-14-2016 at 03:40 PM.
karlnapf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2016, 03:20 PM   #3
MariusMasalar
Tech Whisperer
MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's an analogy; the first section of the review explains it:

Quote:
If you want to understand the difference between Kindle and Kobo products, it helps to think of them as Apple versus Android. The Kobo Aura One is like the Android flagship of the e-reading space, and the Oasis is an iPhone.
Sorry if that was confusing.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:22 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlnapf View Post
"The Android flagship of e-readers"

where can I find the Android on this reader ?
Perhaps it would help if you read the whole review (at least as far as paragraph 3) rather than just the headline.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:25 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
That was a Crappy Review! Do you get Paid for Each Type stroke?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2016, 03:35 PM   #6
MariusMasalar
Tech Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Hi Katie, Sorry you think so; if you have constructive feedback I'm happy to hear it.

I don't get paid for the writing on my site at all, let alone per keystroke. My blog isn't my source of income, so as a rule I write only about things I think are of interest and that I have spent time evaluating.

The blog is technically "monetized" by the presence of affiliate links, which allow people who find the content useful to say thanks without any effort, but no one uses them if it makes you feel any better. :P
Old 09-14-2016, 03:47 PM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusMasalar View Post
Hi Katie, Sorry you think so; if you have constructive feedback I'm happy to hear it.

I don't get paid for the writing on my site at all, let alone per keystroke. My blog isn't my source of income, so as a rule I write only about things I think are of interest and that I have spent time evaluating.

The blog is technically "monetized" by the presence of affiliate links, which allow people who find the content useful to say thanks without any effort, but no one uses them if it makes you feel any better. :P
Quick tip: Amazon matches prices to Kobo if Kobo is lower. I hadn't heard of Kobo matching to Amazon.

I thought your review was very detailed. You pointed out everything.

Oh I have crashed one Kindle. It didn't like a Lavender/Chamomile hot bubble bath.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 09-14-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:49 PM   #8
MariusMasalar
Tech Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Quick tip: Amazon matches prices to Kobo if Kobo is lower. I hadn't heard of Kobo matching to Amazon.
Yeah, it was news to me too but that does appear to be the case—the matching works both ways.

Either way it makes price differences a bit of a moot point besides the hassle of sending in a price match request.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:53 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusMasalar View Post
Yeah, it was news to me too but that does appear to be the case—the matching works both ways.

Either way it makes price differences a bit of a moot point besides the hassle of sending in a price match request.
Great review by the way.
I edited my post while you were posting.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:55 PM   #10
MariusMasalar
Tech Whisperer

Ah yes, the old bubble bath crash. I really thought Kindle owners would be free from having to worry about that this year, but nope. Even if I don't particularly miss it, it would be nice having that peace of mind that nothing would go wrong in an accidental water encounter.

I'm glad you enjoyed the review!
Old 09-14-2016, 04:11 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Ummm.... last time I looked at Kobo's site, they had a price match policy. See Price Match Guarantee for what I see. As far as I recall, this policy applied to Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States.

The other item that was not brought out in the review is the lack of extendable storage. I had to remove about 260 books from the collection on my H2O to fit my library on the Aura One -- admittedly, those books were all cooking/foods related so took about the same space as the other 3000 ebooks I have and are likely happier on the iPad where the colour images can shine.

Last edited by DNSB; 09-14-2016 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Australia not Austria -- geography obviously not a strong point ;)
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:20 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Well, that was nice.

Quote:
Kobo offers price matching after you've bought the book if you find it for a lower price.

EDIT: Oops, I see David already posted a more detailed answer about this...
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:29 PM   #13
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Ummm.... last time I looked at Kobo's site, they had a price match policy. See Price Match Guarantee for what I see. As far as I recall, this policy applied to Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States.
I was thinking of something else entirely.
I wasn't thinking on the customer end but on the publishing end.

Though that is great to know. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:34 PM   #14
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I thought it was a very good review too. Objective, detailed and with no obvious bias.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:38 PM   #15
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
I also thought it was a good review.
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aura one, kobo, kobo aura