Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-08-2018, 05:35 AM   #1
Icey
Connoisseur
Icey began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx max
From Onyx Boox Max to On. Max 2 or 3 ?

I have now the Onyx Boox Max first generation and i don't use it so much because i am a bit disapointed for 2 reasons
- the screen : bad contrast and low resolution; that the small text is very very ugly
- the speed : i have image based pdf and it's really slow to turn page.

But unfortunately for my bank account i didn't give up and i still want a device that can replace my Onyx Max.

So the question is if i go on the Onyx Max 2 or i wait the Onyx Max 3.
what is the improvement with the max 2 about these 2 points ?
any rumors about onyx max 3 ?

thanks
Icey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:23 AM   #2
cqman
Groupie
cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle DXG, Onyx Boox Max1, Max2, Nova, Hisense A5 Pro
Very big improvement for the 2 points you mentioned. However the screen looks a little bit yellowish than Max1 for the adding capacitive layer.

I haven't got any news about Max3. I'm sure it won't be available at least in the next half year.

The 1.9.1 Max1 system software improves the responsive time and page turning is faster. I updated mine around one month ago. I'm not sure if it's released globally at the moment.

Last edited by cqman; 10-08-2018 at 08:33 AM.
cqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #3
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqman View Post
I haven't got any news about Max3. I'm sure it won't be available at least in the next half year.
yeah, with the new line going for "same specs" almost on every onyx device and almost also a common firmware for every one, looks like the current lineup is not going to be replaced soon.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:29 AM   #4
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
The Max devices are already quite good specs, the problem is that Onyx crippled the OS so much to save battery. I wish there was a switch in the settings "battery save mode ON/OFF" instead. For example Max2 does page turn quite fast but when i finish reading some page the device miss my tap and it takes something like a second to wake up and react on the next tap finally.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:02 AM   #5
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
I wish there was a switch in the settings "battery save mode ON/OFF" instead.
but there is a battery saving mode on/off on the notification bar.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:02 PM   #6
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
but there is a battery saving mode on/off on the notification bar.

So far I can tell that it works! I switched to normal mode.

For those who didn't notice the setting (like me): when you tap on the top bar you are presented with the Quick Settings panel, power saving toggle is on the right
Old 10-12-2018, 06:35 AM   #7
sogaiu
Addict
sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Device: none
Does the following match what you are doing?

1. Tap on top bar (say, to the right of the wi-fi icon) - 4 icons appear right below
2. Tap on the battery icon (left-most icon) - 'Battery' configuration(?) screen appears
3. Tap on the three dots icon (right-most) - menu appears with two choices
4. Tap on 'Battery saver' - 'Battery saver' configuration(?) screen appears
5. Tap on toggle for turning on/off

FWIW, mine seemed to be off already.
sogaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:55 AM   #8
plusz
Addict

No, I meant the right most icon

Click image for larger version

Name:	device-2018-10-13-124600.png
Views:	543
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	166894

Click image for larger version

Name:	device-2018-10-13-124642.png
Views:	504
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	166895

The setting which you have found is hard-set to Off on my device.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #9
Icey
Connoisseur
Icey began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx max
Can i use the last firmware that is available 1.9.1 to my onyx max 1 ?
Icey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:22 PM   #10
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icey View Post
Can i use the last firmware that is available 1.9.1 to my onyx max 1 ?
I wouldn't recommend that. The Max2 and the Max1 have very different hardware.

However, apparently an update for the Max1 has already been released domestically in China and, apparently, an international version of it is currently being tested.

If you cannot wait until the international version becomes available, you might want to switch over the operating language of your Max1 to Chinese to see if you could get an OTA update of the Chinese update.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:36 PM   #11
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Attention: The different update package for different models can not be mixed. The wrong update package will cause the device’s inability to boot and use, and the device need to be returned to the factory to root. Please read the instruction carefully before updating your device.

http://www.onyx-international.com/
Given the above advice from Onyx's website, I would be very careful about trying to apply an update for a particular model to a different model.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:31 PM   #12
sogaiu
Addict
sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
No, I meant the right most icon

Attachment 166894

Attachment 166895

The setting which you have found is hard-set to Off on my device.
Thanks for the clarification -- I don't see that icon on my device. Perhaps it is because I have an older version of the firmware. It looks like I have 1.8.3_bc46981.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:48 PM   #13
sogaiu
Addict

FWIW, I upgraded to 1.9.1_575ba83 and now I see the relevant icon.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:01 AM   #14
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icey View Post
any rumors about onyx max 3 ?
thanks
I guess 100 Onyx engineers are now going to recycle Max 2 (Android 6) design for next 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
We also talked about the devices with 10.7 "EINK color screens and built-in front light. These have been used in primary schools in China for about a year as part of an educational test project. Over 100,000 of these devices have been built so far. Unfortunately, the price of these devices is currently too high (even higher than the price of Max2), so it is initially not available in the form for the Western market. The actual problem was, for the software development for this project had been assigned about100 Onyx software engineers for several months, so we've had shortages of resources for our own projects lately. Now this project is finally completed and all resources are available again.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:50 AM   #15
desk7
Groupie
desk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Onyx Boox Max
Any news about a possible Onyx Boox Max 3?
desk7 is offline   Reply With Quote