Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 12-10-2018, 01:55 PM   #16
Clark G. Flipper
Connoisseur
Clark G. Flipper began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
That particular "bug" is more likely a combination of the user turning off hyphenation and having a font size too large for a single word to fit on the given screen - usually seen on titles (like "Acknowledgements"), or <h> tags with non-breaking spaces, or when the CSS itself is forcing the text off screen
No, it isn't.
Clark G. Flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:07 PM   #17
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Well, if you would like to post an example of where you see the error (html and CSS) and include what setting you use...then you may get somewhere.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:29 AM   #18
jgt1942
Connoisseur
jgt1942 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkrider View Post
It still works fine, there is no reason not to install it particularly if you like it.
OK I'll stay with it for now but I have some questions.

On my wife's iPad (Model MK6K2LL\A) I originally installed Marvin in 2014 and synced via Dropbox. All of the E-books are stored in Calibre on my Windows PC. At that time all worked and she was happy. For whatever reasons she stopped using Marvin and recently she wanted to read books on her iPad. Marvin is still installed (I'm not sure if she had the same iPad with the original install).

Yesterday I put a book in the Dropbox folder used to transfer books. On her iPad if I open Dropbox I can see the book. In Marvin I click "Get books", select Dropbox and get an error "Your selected root folder "/ebooks/kmt" may be invalid.

On the iPad I unlinked and relinked to the dropbox, I still get the same error. I've looked through the Marvin settings but don't see anything that looks like it would resolve the issue. Suggestions??? BTW if I should start a new thread please let me know.
jgt1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:55 AM   #19
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgt1942 View Post
On my wife's iPad (Model MK6K2LL\A) I originally installed Marvin in 2014 and synced via Dropbox. All of the E-books are stored in Calibre on my Windows PC.

Yesterday I put a book in the Dropbox folder used to transfer books. On her iPad if I open Dropbox I can see the book. In Marvin I click "Get books", select Dropbox and get an error "Your selected root folder "/ebooks/kmt" may be invalid.

On the iPad I unlinked and relinked to the dropbox, I still get the same error. I've looked through the Marvin settings but don't see anything that looks like it would resolve the issue. Suggestions??? BTW if I should start a new thread please let me know.
Was that Marvin 2/Classic (red icon) or Marvin 3 (white icon)? Iirc, Dropbox changed their API at one point and only Marvin 3 was updated.

If you still have the older version which no longer supports Dropbox, you can use Calibre's built-in content server to transfer books to the iPad.

P.S. Managed to find Marvin 3's release date (2016). That iPad definitely has the older version.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 12-11-2018 at 01:58 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:33 AM   #20
jgt1942
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Was that Marvin 2/Classic (red icon) or Marvin 3 (white icon)? Iirc, Dropbox changed their API at one point and only Marvin 3 was updated.

If you still have the older version which no longer supports Dropbox, you can use Calibre's built-in content server to transfer books to the iPad.

P.S. Managed to find Marvin 3's release date (2016). That iPad definitely has the older version.
I have the Marvin red icon.
I just looked in the app store and see Marvin 3 (the M is red, orange, green, blue). I just installed. How do I get the books (61 books) from the old Marvin to the new Marvin 3?

I connected to Dropbox and got the two books from there. That was straightforward....

I've tried to find the dummies documentation for Calibre's built-in content server but so far no luck. It seems that it would be easier to use it rather than going through the Dropbox. Currently, I have Calibre installed on my widows 10 desktop, my wife's windows 10 laptop as well as our mobile devices. In that she has several books most likely it will be a few months before she needs to get more.

How do I remove books from Marvin 3? Currently, she has only 2.49 GB of free storage. Thus she has room for a lot more but at some point she will run out of space.

Time for bed... MUCH thanks!!!!!
Old 12-11-2018, 08:24 AM   #21
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgt1942 View Post
I have the Marvin red icon.
I just looked in the app store and see Marvin 3 (the M is red, orange, green, blue). I just installed. How do I get the books (61 books) from the old Marvin to the new Marvin 3?

I connected to Dropbox and got the two books from there. That was straightforward....

How do I remove books from Marvin 3? Currently, she has only 2.49 GB of free storage. Thus she has room for a lot more but at some point she will run out of space.

Time for bed... MUCH thanks!!!!!
Marvin has a backup and restore feature. Note, restoring from a backup deletes your current library and completely replaces it with the backup.

On Marvin Classic, it's under Settings -> Services. Swipe to the right to get the backup menu, then select Backup now and wait for it to finish. Once that's done, send the backup to Marvin 3.

Then on Marvin 3, go to General Settings -> Backup and restore -> Restore from Marvin Classic

Deleting books, just swipe or long press on a book while in library view. That should give you a menu of options one of which is delete.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 03:32 PM   #22
jgt1942
Connoisseur

ilovejedd - much thanks for the help. I now have all the books in Marvin3, I deleted Marvin Classic, and reloaded the books I had in the dropbox. Gee, it is if I knew what I was doing. The super news is that the wife is happy! Again thanks.