Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #46
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm not cool anymore either, and I've managed to survive. It's been rough, though, I won't kid you.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #47
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
Wouldn't most teenagers want a pc because the gaming choices / options are better?
That, and better compatibility with the applications they use at school, their friends' computers etc.

That's the way it works in my house, at least - the kids and the wife use windows while I mainly use Macs.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #48
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
Wouldn't most teenagers want a pc because the gaming choices / options are better?

I'm not a gamer but the one time I saw a game that interested me it was PC only, still is.
In his case it wouldn't matter, I think. The only game he has ever played or shown any interest for that is not Nintendo/iOS/PS is Minecraft, which works on both Apple and Win.
It could be that all his friends use Win laptops, which may also have influenced his choice.

Last edited by xendula; 01-13-2013 at 10:52 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #49
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
I've been an Apple fan forever, but I am becoming seriously bored with the never-changing design of the devices (with the exception of size). Due to its past history, I keep waiting (in vain) for a bit of revolution instead of the continual evolution.
I don't like Apple per se, just the iPad from the 1st gen on and the iPod Touch, and I am getting bored with the interface. They have to get rid of those screens upon screens of square app graphics with rounded corners at some point, no?
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #50
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I think apples actually been uncool now for a couple of years (in the uk at least) I'd agree with people calling it stale/boring and it really doesn't help running around claiming they invented everything when we all know they didn't and suing competitors just to try and limit choice if you ask me that's a strategy that's backfiring on them big.

I was an Apple user myself and spent a fortune on iTunes but I'm using a Samsung now and I'm actually a lot happier with it and I've definitely made it my own and personalised it far more than I ever could with Apple.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #51
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Yes, the Apple stores are all empty, I no longer see iPods/iPhones in anybody's hands under 95, the survey's independent and you can believe what you like/suits your own views...
Millions of people are buying Toyotas, doesn't mean that teenagers believe that they are cool.
When I bought my iPad mini in the run up to Christmas the crowds in the Apple store were rather middle aged.
Why did I buy an iPad? - because I wanted to move my newspaper subscription to digital and my favourite paper (Frankfurter Allgemeine) only offers an iPad app + my wife has about a gazillion apps for her iPad, so it makes sense to share the account.
How "cool" is stuff that's being bought my fortysomething corporate drones like me in order to read a conservative establishment newspaper?
Samsung and HTC certainly seem to dominate the market for teenagers as far as I can see.
I am happy with the functionality, the ecosystem and the hardware design yet the operating system with its war-cemetary-like icon graveyard does start to look rather staid. The design may also be too reduced and too predictable to appeal to teenagers by now.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #52
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves Gorat View Post
Even my neighbour could now be driving a Porsche (and yes, he would have an iPhone).
What about an iPorsche?
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #53
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Well at least geeks are the ones who are cool now according to The Guild.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #54
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
In a similar vein:

Quote:
For the past month, I have been using an HTC Droid DNA, which has similar specs to the rumored upcoming Samsung Galaxy S4. People approach me at grocery stores, airports, coffee shops, even on the street and ask me about the phone. The device is indeed quite compelling, even from a distance.

The HTC DNA has an amazingly bright 1080p HD display with a higher resolution than Apple's iPhone 5 Retina display. The operating system is modern with dynamic widgets that tell you at a glance what's going on. The apps such as Facebook, Twitter, and such are equivalent to those available to iOS, and Google Apps such as Google Now, voice recognition, and Google Maps are sleek and modern. This is hands down a better device than the iPhone 5, and people seem to intuitively recognize it.

What phone would I recommend for my mom? An iPhone. It's safe, predictable, and uniform. What would I recommend for anyone under 40? Definitely one of the new breeds of Android phones. Android might still be a bit quirkier than an iPhone, but it's definitely not confusing for people who interact daily with a variety of advanced technology. Samsung really nailed it in its commercial where a young woman is waiting in line for a new iPhone and it turns out she is holding the spot for her parents.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...very-category/

PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #55
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
I have been using an HTC Droid DNA...People approach me at grocery stores, airports, coffee shops, even on the street and ask me about the phone.
Just like the commercial
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #56
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
OK, I'm curious. What are the advanced features of Android vs. iPhone? What are regular people using on their Android phones that is so exciting? I'm a Mac user - have been since the 80s - so please let me know what I'm missing.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #57
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
OK, I'm curious. What are the advanced features of Android vs. iPhone? What are regular people using on their Android phones that is so exciting? I'm a Mac user - have been since the 80s - so please let me know what I'm missing.
The Samsung phones are bigger and flatter. They just fit in a pocket or purse and have a very large play area. People like that. At this time, I think, except for airplay, people are pretty much doing the same things on phones.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #58
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
- Android has widgets and gives plenty of options to customize your UI.
- I can just mount the Android phone as an external drive and dump files into a folder I create. I can then access the files on the phone and specify which program to use for them. No need to use an excrescence called iTunes to load the files and to attach them to some specific app.
- I can just attach an USB stick to my phone and open documents or watch films right from the stick. Obviously Apple can't allow that to happen as they would lose control and couldn't charge outrageous prices for additional memory.

You shouldn't discount Windows either. The Lumia 920 is a very attractive phone and I would prefer it over an iPhone.

Last edited by CommonReader; 01-13-2013 at 04:00 PM.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #59
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Hi Pidgeon--this article does a good job summarizing the benefits for the Android phones in contrast to the recent iterations of iOS.

http://gizmodo.com/5973073/

Last edited by djulian; 01-13-2013 at 09:29 PM.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #60
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by djulian View Post
Hi Pidgeon--this article does a good job summarizing the benefits for the Android phones in contrast to the recent iterations of iOS.
I don't see a link?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote