Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-11-2013, 03:03 AM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I tried those on my K3 once. They looked funny.
I might give a look at one of the Georgia eInk fonts and see if I can fix it easily enough. If not, I won't bother. It's not worth it if it's not a simple task.

Quote:
I have Charis SIL installed now and it looks really nice.
You are very welcome. Glad you like it. I think it looks quite nice as well. It's the font I use most of the time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:08 AM   #47
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I might give a look at one of the Georgia eInk fonts and see if I can fix it easily enough. If not, I won't bother. It's not worth it if it's not a simple task.

You are very welcome. Glad you like it. I think it looks quite nice as well. It's the font I use most of the time.
I think it be easier just to take the original Georgia and add weight to it. It's a Windows font so it's easily found.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2013, 03:10 AM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I think it be easier just to take the original Georgia and add weight to it. It's a Windows font so it's easily found.
Yes, I have it in Windows. But I am curious to see why the eInk modified versions can't keep a straight line.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:27 AM   #49
randomzombie
Enthusiast
randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.

Device: current: Aura HD
Hi again! Can't get this to work. Here's my order of operations: also wanting the ability to edit margins, I jailbroke and did the kindlet jailbrea, too, and then installed the JBPatch. I did the use_alt_fonts hack after the fact, but no go. Restarted the Kindle, restarted the framework, etc.

Only thing I can think of is that Windows 7 here won't let me dissociate the .txt extension from the USE_ALT_FONTS file, no matter what I do. It keeps the association so the file isn't truly "blank," I suppose.

If this is, as I suspect, the reason, could someone kindly post or link me to a fully blank, unassociated USE_ALT_FONTS file, or make one?

I'd be forever indebted!
randomzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:38 AM   #50
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Here you go, randomzombie

http://cl.ly/3A1q3d2W1a2M
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2013, 05:35 AM   #51
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
I've posted the link for this in other threads. But not for the Kindle as there was no easy way to use it outside of KF8. Now that there is, I want to share it here.

Glad you like it. On my 650 is does not bad in low light.
Not sure how long the Kindle Touch had custom fonts working like the PW does, but Charis SIL looks good on the Touch as well.

smallest size: Attachment 99195 4th smallest: Attachment 99196

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-21-2013 at 07:55 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #52
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Give my modified Charis SIL a try. It looks pretty good on a Kindle.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gk70icv61u7bbrg

There is also a smallcaps family included in the archive which is good for use with KF8.
Thank you for this! I just added it and it's really nice!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #53
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Helvetica largest size

I use Helvetica largest size and it is perfect for me.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #54
Parody
Parody began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Transformer Infinity
Palatino, Size 3 (from the left)

I've used Palatino as my main document text font for ages. It seemed natural to use it here.
Parody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #55
randomzombie
Enthusiast
randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.

Device: current: Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
Here you go, randomzombie

http://cl.ly/3A1q3d2W1a2M
Thank you very much! It worked!
randomzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #56
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomzombie View Post
Thank you very much! It worked!
You're welcome! Happy to help!
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #57
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Caecelia at the third one from the left.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #58
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Quote:
Give my modified Charis SIL a try. It looks pretty good on a Kindle.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gk70icv61u7bbrg
That's a really nice font. I don't have a PW yet, but this font looks really good in FBReader on my Nook Color. I was using Georgia but I think this will be my font of choice for quite some time. I'll most likely use it for the PW as well.

Thanks!

Edit: Added screenshot from KK using JSWolf's CharisSIL font- not compact.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Charis-SIL.jpg
Views:	768
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	99248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle3-CharisSIL.gif
Views:	660
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	99788  

Last edited by JimmyR; 01-20-2013 at 04:41 PM.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #59
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
I've since changed my favorite font from Palatino, to PT Serif. On a side note, when reading on my Kindle 3, my favorite is Fanwood Text.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:42 AM   #60
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle
I use Baskerville on the 4th font size from the left.
ElMiko is offline   Reply With Quote