Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-06-2011, 07:22 AM   #796
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eolake View Post
Thanks.
I'm in UK, so far as I know, no store here carries the Kindle.
Tesco, Currys & John Lewis all stock both the Kindle 3 and Kindle 4.

Probably store dependant on whether or not they'd have both on display. My local Tesco Extra had both sitting side by side. Unfortunately the Kindle 3 was displaying a "low battery" message, so I couldn't really do too much comparison. I did think the screen looked a little darker on the Kindle 4, but I wasn't paying too much attention to that, more playing with the buttons, flipping through pages etc.

Incidentally, we have two Kindle 3's at home, there's not a huge difference between them, but one certainly has a lighter screen than the other. Both were bought from Amazon and both bought within the space of a few weeks.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #797
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eolake View Post
...(Sorry, what's PM?)
If you left-click on someone's user name, it brings up a dialog box. One of the options is "Send a private message to [user name]." When someone sends you a message, you can read it on your User CP page by scrolling down and selecting "List Messages" under the heading "Private Messages."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eolake1.PNG
Views:	215
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	78758   Click image for larger version

Name:	eolake2.PNG
Views:	197
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	78759  
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #798
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Well my Kindle 4 is getting it's second charge now. So it lasted with light use and some small amount of indexing 18 days with WiFi on. That is pretty good I think.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:40 AM   #799
emoorman
Obsessive Reader
emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nokia 1520
Like my K4

I am finding I enjoy my Kindle 4 more every day. It is easy to get books on it and easy to find them and turn pages. I recently rear a few chapters on my Android phone and noticed the smudge marks from finger touch turning the pages. The buttons are definitely better for me.

It is very thin and you're right, whoever said it (might have been Blossom), but it is easier to handle in a case. Also as a lefty, I like having page turn buttons on both sides.

I read where someone said that not having a micro SD card slot was a deal breaker. I guess it would be nice, but as I think about it more, why would I need one for more storage. I think the K4 stores over 1,000 books. Maybe it was something like 1400. If I had a thousand books on mine I wouldn't be able to find anything, even with collections. On a long trip or vacation, I still couldn't read 1000 books. I do have this tendency to try, on impulse, those books that are free or only cost $3-$5. This is in addition to my favorite authors. One-click makes it so easy, if I see an interesting title or description, I'm clicking. I guess I should check out the addictive buyers' thread for help. Maybe carrying 3 or 4 thousand books in your ereader is like having a lot of friends on Facebook.

It's late and I'm beginning to wander.

Last edited by emoorman; 11-14-2011 at 12:55 AM.
emoorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:40 AM   #800
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoorman View Post
I am finding I enjoy my Kindle 4 more every day. It is easy to get books on it and easy to find them and turn pages. I recently rear a few chapters on my Android phone and noticed the smudge marks from finger touch turning the pages. The buttons are definitely better for me.

It is very thin and you're right, whoever said it (might have been Blossom), but it is easier to handle in a case. Also as a lefty, I like having page turn buttons on both sides.

I read where someone said that not having a micro SD card slot was a deal breaker. I guess it would be nice, but as I think about it more, why would I need one for more storage. I think the K4 stores over 1,000 books. Maybe it was something like 1400. If I had a thousand books on mine I wouldn't be able to find anything, even with collections. On a long trip or vacation, I still couldn't read 1000 books. I do have this tendency to try, on impulse, those books that are free or only cost $3-$5. This is in addition to my favorite authors. One-click makes it so easy, if I see an interesting title or description, I'm clicking. I guess I should check out the addictive buyers' thread for help. Maybe carrying 3 or 4 thousand books in your ereader is like having a lot of friends on Facebook.

It's late and I'm beginning to wander.
K to you for this!
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #801
positron
positron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT SO
Just got my dirty paws on the new K4 NT - and the first impressions are really really good. It's much more contrast-y than I had expected it to be, so easy to read on it, and it's fairly nippy, light and a breeze to load up with my favorite books. Loving it so far!

PS: I think I might get another one or two for the season.
positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #802
sheffieldsteve
sheffieldsteve began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
ok all you happy kindle 4 owners ... someone help me out with my post on mobileread
:-)
sheffieldsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #803
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheffieldsteve View Post
ok all you happy kindle 4 owners ... someone help me out with my post on mobileread
:-)
Provide a link, there are hundreds of thousands of posts on MR.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #804
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoorman View Post
I read where someone said that not having a micro SD card slot was a deal breaker. I guess it would be nice, but as I think about it more, why would I need one for more storage. I think the K4 stores over 1,000 books. Maybe it was something like 1400. If I had a thousand books on mine I wouldn't be able to find anything, even with collections.
Good points. There are a few who think an inexpensive device should be able to hold the entire Library of Congress, and they get pissy when they discover it cannot! If you read a book a day, then it would take you 3 years to read all the books it can store. I can understand a researcher wanting a vast library on a device, but not on a relatively slow device that was not designed for doing research. They need to get a fast and powerful tablet or computer for research.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #805
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
The carry your whole library is marketing b.s. and shouldn't be taken as operating instruction. These things just can't handle that many books, from an operating and organizing standpoint. The software and UI just do not lend themselves to it. I'm kinda amazed when people say I tried to load 1000+ books in one go in my ___ and it choked. No kidding.

I understand the temptation, though. You have all these books, and rather than sift through them why not dump the whole thing on there and search when you want to find something. That's how computers should work. But these things are pretty weak.

On ereaders, extra storage is really only needed for multimedia. The k4 has no audio so it's moot.

Now on a tablet where big apps can take hundreds of megs, then yes an Sd slot matters. I'm running out of space on my iPad and running out of things I want to delete ;(
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:00 PM   #806
sheffieldsteve
sheffieldsteve began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
lol - my query is in the Kindle forum
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156993
steve
sheffieldsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #807
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I just put on books I will read in the coming weeks and everything else stays on my Dropbox.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote