Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #106
Tugger
Connoisseur
Tugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle
Kratos: You do seem to be doing this the hard way. The lastest version of the InDesign Amazon plugin (0.972) does a great job with TOCs, fixes the font size problem, and I have found it possible to get good results with no editing needed.
Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #107
Kratos
Connoisseur
Kratos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone, iPad, PC
Thanks for the help pdurrant. And mega thanks to DiapDealer for such a useful plugin. The purest way I know to go back and edit mobi files.

Edit: Tugger. Thanks for the tip. The last time I used the plugin was a few months ago and it wasn't good because it changed the formatting of the page. But I will try it again.

Last edited by Kratos; 11-21-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #108
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
And mega thanks to DiapDealer for such a useful plugin. The purest way I know to go back and edit mobi files.
I'm glad you find it useful. But I can only take credit for the ability to use it from within calibre. Mobi_Unpack's "usefulness" is largely due to contributions to the underlying, stand-alone python tool made by developers much more talented than myself.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #109
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Any chance of updating MobiUnpack to KindleUnpack using whatever is the latest code base?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #110
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep. I just keep getting distracted. I'll do my best to get it updated/uploaded this week.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #111
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Yep. I just keep getting distracted. I'll do my best to get it updated/uploaded this week.
Thank you very much!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #112
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

New version/new name

1) renamed the plugin to KindleUnpack - The Plugin to reflect the name change to the underlying core scripts/stand-alone tool.

2) updated the underlying core scripts to the latest available version (v0.61).

3) Fixed a bug that broke things when calibre's library folder/name contained non-ascii characters (reported by user caillou)

Now on version 0.61.0

NOTE: if you download and install the plugin manually, be sure to uninstall the old version of the plugin first (unless you want to have two different versions of the plugin installed at the same time). Don't forget to restart after installing/updating!!

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-29-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #113
loximuthal
Connoisseur
loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: NST, Kindle Fire, iPad2
Quote:
(formerly MobiUnpack - The Plugin: changed 12/29/2013)
Ummm. 1/29/2013?
loximuthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #114
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks. After making sure I got everything fixed-up and ready to go code-wise for the big name-change/update (debugging all functionality on three different OSs), I must have been in a bit of a hurry typing that entirely cosmetic/informational date in the ancillary data of the main post. Let me fix that up.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-29-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:04 AM   #115
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur
anthony.burton4 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Keyboard short-cut

Thankyou for the time and effort in creating this rather excellent plug-in.

Is there by any chance a way to use a keyboard short-cut to control it? When I've tried I've only been able to get to the "Customise plug-in" option via the keyboard.
anthony.burton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:07 AM   #116
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Those menu options are built on the fly based on what formats are available for each book. I don't think that in itself takes keyboard shortcuts off the table, but I remember having issues with getting shortcuts to work properly when I first started working on the plugin; so I ditched them.

I'd be happy to revisit it, though. Maybe I've learned enough since then to figure them out!
Old 02-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #117
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Why is it that KindleUnpack obfuscates fonts when shifting from KF8 to ePub? The fonts are not encrypted in the KF8 yet after the conversions, they are encrypted.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:02 AM   #118
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why is it that KindleUnpack obfuscates fonts when shifting from KF8 to ePub? The fonts are not encrypted in the KF8 yet after the conversions, they are encrypted.
I can't remember whether fonts in KF8 are usually obfuscated or not. But they're certainly not trivially extracted from the Mobi wrapper. While fonts that are in a ePub are trivial to extract, just by unzipping the ePub.

Font obfuscation seems the polite thing for KindleUnpack to do.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #119
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

There's no need to go over this whole thing again, Jon. Nothing has changed from the last time: if the fonts are obfuscated in the KF8 file, they'll still be obfuscated when KindleUnpack is done with it. If the fonts are NOT obfuscated in the KF8 file, they WON'T be obfuscated when KindleUnpack is done with it. Period.

Don't believe me? Feed an epub with un-obfuscated fonts to kindlegen, and then unpack the resulting file with KindleUnpack. Notice the lovely UN-obfuscated fonts.

The fact of the matter is: you have no idea if the fonts in a KF8 file are obfuscated or not UNTIL you unpack it (unless you built the KF8 yourself and know for a fact).

Calibre is OK with removing font obfuscation during conversions and some of its "tweak" features (and that's fine; that's not my call)... but KindleUnpack isn't going to do it. It's that simple.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-19-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #120
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Calibre is OK with removing font obfuscation during conversions and some of its "tweak" features (and that's fine; that's not my call)... but KindleUnpack isn't going to do it. It's that simple.
So it is Calibre's Tweak Book that is undoing the obfuscation in the KF8 and not the plugin. Thanks for the explanation.

Tags
mobi2mobi