Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-22-2019, 05:49 AM   #1
tombaugh
tombaugh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Kobo Clara HD noise

I recently bought a Clara HD, and after a few days started noticing noises coming from the device while reading in bed (when it's perfectly silent in the room). When I turn a page I hear a click, then some buzzing, and if I hold the device by ear I also hear some high pitched noises (coil whine). In fact, some high pitched noise is always there, but not audible when the device is held at reading distance.

Is this noise also present in other devices? Is it always there and should I not bother with ordering a new device?
tombaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:20 AM   #2
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombaugh View Post
I recently bought a Clara HD, and after a few days started noticing noises coming from the device while reading in bed (when it's perfectly silent in the room). When I turn a page I hear a click, then some buzzing, and if I hold the device by ear I also hear some high pitched noises (coil whine). In fact, some high pitched noise is always there, but not audible when the device is held at reading distance.

Is this noise also present in other devices? Is it always there and should I not bother with ordering a new device?
This is definitely weird - I don't think I've ever heard a noise come from my Kobo ereaders (I've owned several, though nothing more recent than the Glo HD). And I often read in bed when the house is quiet, so I definitely would have noticed.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2019, 07:03 AM   #3
Morioh
Morioh began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino shine
I have old tolino 2011 and when i put my ear right next to the device(only in this matter otherwise it's really not audible) i encounter probably the same noises as you mentioned. Really Weird. Maybe it's the eink Screen mechanism? It sounds like a super low pitch speaker turning on/off but this device doesn't have one . To be honest i wish i didn't learn about this considering i have OCD and it's the latest pointless thing i will obsess about.
Morioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:28 AM   #4
ReaLx3m
Groupie
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro
On electronic devices sometimes coils and capacitors can produce audible noise.
ReaLx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:57 AM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombaugh View Post

I've not heard a peep from any of my readers, including the Clara. Could be your hearing is more sensitive than mine.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert