Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-14-2010, 12:45 AM   #1
Captain Skurvy
Captain Skurvy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Text sizes on new DX

Hi

Is there any way to add extra Text Sizes or preferably decent font and size control to the Kindle DX . . .

Due to health issues (and age ) my eye sight is not the best.

I find i can read a book for around 30m to one hour at the 3rd Text size from the right but after that i must up it to the 2nd from the right . . . its seems to be a big jump from around 44 letters a line to 22 letters a line and thus more next page presses . . .

One in between would be ideal for me . . .

I hate readers that limit you to jumps like this and not being able to pick font type and size . . .

When i contacted their support all i got back was thanks for the feed back from the robot on the other end

So does anyone know if its possible to alter or add either font sizing or addition text sizes . . .

Another problem with the current Kindle set up is when a publisher brings out a book that has fine print you can't change it only the size . . . frustrating . . . if Kindle has this limitation then Amazon needs to enforce what standards of font sizing . . .

The more i use the Kindle the more I realize it's a very basic device stuck in the dark ages, with a keyboard from hell . . .

Maybe the advent of the iPad will not only shake up pricing but start all the reader vendors to push developing better hardware and software . . .

Thank you in advance for any input you may offer

Last edited by Captain Skurvy; 08-14-2010 at 12:50 AM.
Captain Skurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:27 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yes. (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=278).

As for altering the steps, that *may* also be doable, not sure exactly if there's a safety check on that, or if the copy of the config in the userstore is actually the one being used. (there's a config file hidden somewhere in the system/ folder).

Can't do much about Topaz/PDF with their crappy embedded fonts though, so... Avoid them like the plague that they are, or try to convert them. (It's a tad tricky for the Topaz files, but AFAICT it should be doable with a bit of effort and the right tools).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-14-2010 at 02:30 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
fonts, kindle, kindle dx, text size